Quantcast

DH World Cup #1 - Maribor, Slovenia. LIVE THREAD

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Who is Fabien Pedemanaud? And since when did Cole start top 10-ing WC's? Haven't seen him do that well in a race since Rotorua Jr. Worlds. And who is Joe Smith? Weird looking top 10.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Who is Fabien Pedemanaud? And since when did Cole start top 10-ing WC's? Haven't seen him do that well in a race since Rotorua Jr. Worlds. And who is Joe Smith? Weird looking top 10.
CC has had a couple of top 10 results, didn't he get a top 10 at PM in SA last year, 7th if mem is correct, maybe off lol

Fabian is another fast frenchie hes was out doing NZ nats a few years back on a Commencal quick rider, good to see some new blood up there.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Weird looking top 10.

get used to some of those names... there are a whole slew of young guys who are going to be popping up on the radar on some of the tech tracks this year, especially if we see more rain.

as for Joe Smith... the writing was on the wall a few years ago if you look at the Quali results from Champery in 07 or the muddy schladming in 08. at only 20 he's a young kid with serious skills.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
get used to some of those names... there are a whole slew of young guys who are going to be popping up on the radar on some of the tech tracks this year, especially if we see more rain.
Excellent. I love watching champery but it will get kinda pointless having a WC there if Sam keeps winning Qualifying by 14 seconds.

as for Joe Smith... the writing was on the wall a few years ago if you look at the Quali results from Champery in 07 or the muddy schladming in 08. at only 20 he's a young kid with serious skills.
Yes, I was stoked to see him do so well today. His part in Foot Flat Out 2 is my favorite one. He is a turn murderer. I think you will see his name again this season on the results sheets.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Fabien races in NZ in the off-season since 2007 and has had a number of top 10's at world cups including a few podiums. Cam was 6th in SA last year and has always had the potential to be a consistent top 10 rider, this year he's been having some solid results all around the world too. Joe Smith was a little bit of a surprise, but he's been around for a few years now so I guess it was time he pulled it all together. Maybe read the results sheet past the top 5 in the future ;)

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Shaun O"Connor got a top 40 too, while everyone is focusing on Troy Brosnon this kid has the potential too, TB not far behind though, great to see the young groms duking it out, lots of NZLs in that overall list too, we may even out number the Aussies on the WC at mo, yeahh boi, Go Kiwi's :thumb:

The Fort will be laying it down, I'm leaning for Peaty to comeback strong there, Blenky he was top 5 last year I think at the Bill, but could be anyones.

2010 is rocking :rofl:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
He always does well at Maribor:
http://www.rootsandrain.co.uk/rider3068/fabien-pedemanaud/

2007: 4th
2008: 48th (ok, so not always!)
2009: 6th
2010: 4th

He was top-10 at Val di Sole world champs too.

Joe Smith's unreal. He's such a great rider to watch too, always looks on the edge, always does something that you think no-one would consider even trying! A pinner for sure. Coincidentally I first met him out at Maribor in 2008, had never really heard of him/noticed him before. Very much on the radar now!
http://www.rootsandrain.co.uk/rider3866/joe-smith/

Last edited:

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
crazy fact: Ben Reid was no footing + hitting a tree with his upper body in the last single track section, but somhow he managed to stay on his bike - totally insane

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Haven't seen him do that well in a race since Rotorua Jr. Worlds. And who is Joe Smith? Weird looking top 10.
Joe Smith is a guy who's been getting notch faster every year since his junior days. Kind of like Gee and Minnaar when they came up through the junior ranks. Not as dominate as some junior racers but always improving....some juniors are super fast and top out early. Others need time to grow into their bodys...

That's my armchair assesement.....:homer:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hey, so what was the story for tires out there? Are any of the "other" tire companies making tires that their sponsored riders are using? Conti? Schwalbe? Specialized?

Curious to know what the riders were using in the thick, drying, slippery mud...

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Awesome start to the WC for '10. Good to see a lot of new faces in the top ten, Fabien was on the hot "bean-bag"(anybody else notice that?) for awhile. Awesome to see the Scott11 team as top team(granted it's the first race, but still). Pumped for the rest of the season. Freecaster also worked a lot better than last year, also was able to watch it full screen without my eyes falling out.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Picture #8 of Pedemenaud shoes that rock garden like nothing I have seen yet. Really adds some perspective to it.

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
Sweet to see Greg on top! Funny how everyone seems to doubt him when he his coming back from an injury (or for what ever reason they doubt him). I have had the pleasure of working with him as my assistant coach the last 4 years and he is a competitor and knows how to win big events. I am sure he was training through Sea Otter and the first Pro GRT here in the states all in preparation for the World Cup season.

It is going to be a battle this year! Mick and Peaty didn't have the best of runs so they will be fired up, Gee looks like is riding better than last year, Gwin and Steve Smith were just out of the top 5, Bryn had a fast first split, Fairclough finally living up to his potential, Sam lurking in 5th and a few new racers in the top 10. Things ought to be pretty heated up by the time they hit NY in August.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
Sweet to see Greg on top! Funny how everyone seems to doubt him when he his coming back from an injury (or for what ever reason they doubt him). I have had the pleasure of working with him as my assistant coach the last 4 years and he is a competitor and knows how to win big events. I am sure he was training through Sea Otter and the first Pro GRT here in the states all in preparation for the World Cup season.

It is going to be a battle this year! Mick and Peaty didn't have the best of runs so they will be fired up, Gee looks like is riding better than last year, Gwin and Steve Smith were just out of the top 5, Bryn had a fast first split, Fairclough finally living up to his potential, Sam lurking in 5th and a few new racers in the top 10. Things ought to be pretty heated up by the time they hit NY in August.

Hopefully its still a tight race up for grabs and it isn't mathematically over.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Dirt is awesome - gotta love those guys!

I'm pretty surprised. Far from light weights.

And it seems the pure race bikes are all getting longer from the BB forward (and probably slacker) - more weight over the front wheel perhaps? Stability over agility?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Pretty surprising how the wheelbase measurements were all over the place. Also, I thought Minnarr's bike would be lighter. Did he run the Edge rims at Maribor?