Quantcast

DH World Cup #1 - Maribor, Slovenia. LIVE THREAD

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
Wait V10 not the lightest:rofl::rofl:
yep, saw that too. So when it comes to weight, it seems the v10.4 is competing with last year's V10, and the weight last year was? Carbon schmarbon. It's all very Me Too™ at the moment. To step away from spending money to create hype for what exactly, I think Specialized may have taken the cheapest option to create hype: spray the bike black, have Jacey pretend he is a bouncer (ok, chance the rear triangle in anlmost insignificant way to spice the bait some more), et voila! whole world beats a path to your tent. How much did that attention cost them? What's a can or two of aerolak cost?
I reckon specialized had the last laff here :D

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
yep, saw that too. So when it comes to weight, it seems the v10.4 is competing with last year's V10, and the weight last year was? Carbon schmarbon. It's all very Me Too™ at the moment. To step away from spending money to create hype for what exactly, I think Specialized may have taken the cheapest option to create hype: spray the bike black, have Jacey pretend he is a bouncer (ok, chance the rear triangle in anlmost insignificant way to spice the bait some more), et voila! whole world beats a path to your tent. How much did that attention cost them? What's a can or two of aerolak cost?
Not to completely derail this thread but this has been discussed before. The carbon V10 was not designed to be lighter................

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Not to completely derail this thread but this has been discussed before. The carbon V10 was not designed to be lighter................
that. and, they did more than change the rear triangle a little. the front triangle is radically different.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Great Job Dirt Mag:thumb:

No real surprises though, Trek the lightest and Evil Nr. One on the other end, and Blenki allready with the new Formula

and speci are the new hype masters, pretty arrogant IMO, at least they could have put Troy's Bike in

Last edited:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
speci are the new hype masters, pretty arrogant IMO
riiiight... because it is their civic duty to let any jurno with a camera weigh a prototype race frame:rolleyes:

Not arrogant at all, simply their choice not to reveal anything about the new bike other than the fact that it is a new bike.... there is a big difference between what you want to know and what you are entitled to know. Especially about a product under development.

Funny how no one would have called Honda arrogant a few years ago for all of their secrecy, even after the internals of the gearbox were made public. I can guarantee they never would have shared numbers let alone actually let someone weigh it

Last edited:

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Funny how no one would have called Honda arrogant a few years ago for all of their secrecy, even after the internals of the gearbox were made public. I can guarantee they never would have shared numbers let alone actually let someone weigh it
Except it was alot more than a proto frame(forks, shock, gear box, etc.). And I for one know that Minnaar was bound by his contract not to let anyone do so much as a squish test. I have a feeling that his and his mechanics contracts were drawn up and signed long before the "derailer in a box" design was even conceived, let alone made public. Honda was a whole other ball game.

Specialized is just being stupid in my opinion, and I honestly dont care what their numbers are. But is it not arrogant to think that letting your wheel base, chain stay and weight numbers out is going to give your competitors some kind of advantage? Its not like Santa Cruz are going to run out and copy those numbers. Is it? Like it has been discussed before, Spec is a marketing machine! What better way to get someone to talk about your product than to get people speculating? Look at how much exposure this whole secrecy act has brought them when they really have nothing revolutionary. If they had let journo's at the bike, they hype world have been largely over in a day or two but now they dragging out the unnecessary by playing with human nature(curiousity).

I'd go so far as to say they've got more exposure out of this little show of theirs already than GT did when they released the Fury(which was not only really made out of carbon but it was the first carbon production bike in recent memory). And the funny thing is, Spec is rubbing their hands in glee at our frustration because they can see the dollars rolling in.

Last edited:

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
Monster Energy Specialized will give specifications soon I think, it was just the first time we saw the new bike.

37,5 lb for Norco, cool..but it was without pedals(what doesnt make much diferece)

Evil has a nice paint job....but it is the heaviest.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
and how many places did it finish ahead of the lightest :thumb:

and those so called arrogant folks at specialized put up their team vid http://iamspecialized.com/gravity/
Looks super arrogant :rofl: especially Troy. That kids gotta learn to grow an ego if he's to be super famous, he's way too nice and humble.

But seriously, light bikes, heavy bikes, fast guys will go fast on whatever runs well and holds up under them. Barel won there last year on what was rumored to be a 34lb bike according to cesar rojo. Sam hill won there year before on a bike probably around 39-40. The guy who won this year was on a 37.5lb bike. Light bike debates are stupid. Some people like riding light bikes more, and you can't b1tch about it when they do alot of winning, and some people don't care.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Didn't Greg's bike gain 7 lbs of mud during the race? I may have got that wrong because i was only partially listening at work.

Get over it guys - a couple of grams (or pounds) makes no real difference for most people.

And the Demo? It will be a 2011 production bike launched at Whistler this summer. No doubt. It isn't a new suspension system. Just a few tweaks that they've already done on other bikes.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
riiiight... because it is their civic duty to let any jurno with a camera weigh a prototype race frame:rolleyes:

Not arrogant at all, simply their choice not to reveal anything about the new bike other than the fact that it is a new bike.... there is a big difference between what you want to know and what you are entitled to know. Especially about a product under development.

Come On, it is not the Formula 1, its just a demo with some tweaks....

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Specialized has not officially launched this bike, and there is no official launch in the near future. It's a work in progress, why publish numbers in flux?
You could also approach the subject from another perspective. Why go out of your way to make sure no details of the bike get out? Read my post above. Its a weak excuse however you look at it.

On a completely different note. Out of pure boredom I broke out my photoshop skills and did some measuring lengths in pixels and converted it to inch's knowing the true diameter of a rim for a few side on photo's and then finding the average of them all. I came up with a 48 inch wheel base and 17.5 inch chain stay length for Sams Demo. There we go, the cats out the bag, Spec is going to lose the next world cup because of this, my bad.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
more ride monkey sense of entitlement! some of you guys are freaking hilarious, like fraser said, its under development, they don't have to say anything, and really why would they when nothing is close to finalized yet?

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
more ride monkey sense of entitlement! some of you guys are freaking hilarious, like fraser said, its under development, they don't have to say anything, and really why would they when nothing is close to finalized yet?
uh, because it's interesting?

uh, because there's nothing secret-worthy?

uh, because what makes the Special Ed bike fast is Sam, Brendan, Troy and not the dimensions of the bike?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
uh, because it's interesting?

uh, because there's nothing secret-worthy?

uh, because what makes the Special Ed bike fast is Sam, Brendan, Troy and not the dimensions of the bike?
And in the meantime, their "secrecy" has made the bike the talk of the race scene and internet.

Specialized marketing - 1. Nerds on the internet - 0.

Nerd rage on, boys.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
And in the meantime, their "secrecy" has made the bike the talk of the race scene and internet.

Specialized marketing - 1. Nerds on the internet - 0.

Nerd rage on, boys.
Dude, I don't appreciate being called a Nerd ;)

More nerd rage: The new Demo is a full carbon bike, they just don't want you to know it yet so they overlaid the entire carbon frame with Aluminum to fool all the carbon nay-sayers. They just dipped that bad boy in a vat of molten AL, let it cool, then painted it.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
the number of people asking for the specs on the Spec Ed suggests otherwise.

clever handle US3 reference, but still-- you aren't the universal arbiter of what's interesting to everyone at SpankMonkey. eh?
not that clever! it just doesn't matter that much, it isn't production....and I'd be willing to bet its within the ranges listed of the other top ten rigs......

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
not that clever! it just doesn't matter that much, it isn't production....and I'd be willing to bet its within the ranges listed of the other top ten rigs......
yeah I agree it will be a lot like the others.

but it only takes 2 or 3 days of reading SpankMonkey to realize, most of the posters here thrive on e-speculation and believing they are entitled to a lot of info from mfrs.

it's like they imagine mfrs believe posting on SpankMonkey = proof of extreme consumer power over the mfr... or something like that.

personally I find Special Ed's practice ridiculous, but as Transcend says above, the secrecy causes people to talk even more about the Demo and therefore under the America 2010 model of consumerism -- all consumer attention is good for the seller of the product in question.

I agree with you that a lot of people here have an inflated sense of self and a huge amount of entitlement.

not to mention that people hang on every little move Sam Hill makes, as if the thing that makes him fast is what bike he rides, or what clothes he wears, or how big his eyebrows are. he's been fast for a long time, even on the heavy Iron Horse copy of an Intense M2. he's fast because he has talent and because he practices, not because of the bike he rides or the clothes he wears or the Minion DHF as a rear tire.:shocked:

now I will let the Maribor Rumor Mill get back in gear. :D

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
or the Minion DHF as a rear tire.:shocked:
He didn't start that.

My point was that the vid was fresh and pretty informative. I had no idea so many WC race bikes were so long. But instead of talking about Bendon's or Troy's Demo8 he just acted like a pompous idiot. I thought it almost ruined the video which was awesome by the way. Luckily there was much more to it than another flat billed coolio trying to act funny.

Thanks Dirt for this type of vid. :thumb:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
But instead of talking about Bendon's or Troy's Demo8 he just acted like a pompous idiot. I thought it almost ruined the video which was awesome by the way.
some peole lie better than others. maybe he was uncomfortable with having to be evasive. maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but I'm assuming these people are there because they love the sport; they're not PR experts that are in it because there's a ton of money to be made in PR in DH racing. :rolleyes:

I didn't see it as ruining the vid.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
some peole lie better than others. maybe he was uncomfortable with having to be evasive. maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but I'm assuming these people are there because they love the sport; they're not PR experts that are in it because there's a ton of money to be made in PR in DH racing. :rolleyes:

I didn't see it as ruining the vid.
Also, Sam and Brendan are on the same (general) bike. Troy's bike isn't production either, it's a smaller version of last year's bike made especially for him.

None of these bikes are publicly available or in production. If specialized wants to keep the numbers to themselves (and they do) that's their call. The team guys were all under very strict directions from specialized.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
None of these bikes are publicly available or in production.
I realize that and I realize that I am not a WC pro nor can I perceive how a bike would handle at that speed. Nonetheless it was cool to hear the numbers. Who was it that had 49" wb bike? There is no way I could ride a bike with that wb.

Heck, when you reach WC status on a team like Specialized or Santa Cruz I would expect that you would get custom geo.