Quantcast

Diablo 10/10/2009

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
well...least their warranty dept is good then haha but who knows what's going on. I also was talking to a buddy about the issue and we conjectured that its possible the additional gussets on the frame provide additional support, but force stress on other parts of the frame (maybe the headtube if that is where they're cracking)? again i'm simply shooting in the dark here...I believe Evan (downhill3r) snapped a rocky mtn headtube off phantom and that isn't exactly a Bender sized drop...so it can happen to other bikes...
Yes, my headtube welds finally let go on the Phantom Drop. It was a manufacturer defect. All I can say is, thank god I walked away from that... even on that small of drop, talk about an abrupt stop. Thanks Leatt!:thumb:

Last edited:

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Welds are stronger than the metal they are joining, so when you see a failure, you'll see it in the tubing (unless there are bad welds). This tube snapping isn't surprising when you look at Jamis' history of bikes breaking, I've seen probably a dozen cracked Dakars over the years. They get better every time they redesign, so in a few years they might get them dialed. I wonder if they have metal quality issues in their tubing. Also, no rental bike is destined for a long life. Just sucks someone has to take a spill because of it.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
one possible remedy would be going back to the days of the banshee scream, the keggar headtube of yore (which seems to have resurfaced in a new way on their current model, the "wildcard") those things were crazy overbuilt...I'd be curious to see how the normal consumers are fairing...I see a couple of folks who own Jamis' and ride at Diablo, I wonder what experiences they've had with the frame

Excoudos

Chimp
Apr 25, 2007
Vernon
glad to see everyone is getting along. i was wondering whos going to be there this weekend for the race. im leaving cali tomorrow and trying to be home before this weekend. cant wait to see everyone.

Polish Rambo

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
Anthem is closer to 7 or 8 feet down with an 18 foot gap. 20 degree downslope? no way... its less than 5. For reference, the cannon jump is only 17 degrees, so imagine what 20 degrees downslope would look like.

And there were piles of broken IH frames the first time they got the resort rental treatment.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Anthem is closer to 7 or 8 feet down with an 18 foot gap. 20 degree downslope? no way... its less than 5. For reference, the cannon jump is only 17 degrees, so imagine what 20 degrees downslope would look like.

And there were piles of broken IH frames the first time they got the resort rental treatment.
i took a guess for the 20 degrees, but if u think that is 20 feet out,and 7-8 down you must be using the pinkbike ruler. its about the size of the person going off of it, who is not standing straight up anway. for anybody who wants to see what snapped this jamis. (which cant be more than 8 rental days old) here it is.

Polish Rambo

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
I know for a fact the dimensions of the drop since I used a craftsman tape measure WHEN IT WAS BUILT AND I SAID 18 Feet, not 20. You're batting 1.000 with your facts in this thread

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
lmao.....

Lets just be glad most of us are okay, healthy and are in great spirits....

Oh wait.. the DH season is coming to an end, which means RideMonkey will Become HCOR for the next 6 months.....

:nerd:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
lmao.....

Lets just be glad most of us are okay, healthy and are in great spirits....

Oh wait.. the DH season is coming to an end, which means RideMonkey will Become HCOR for the next 6 months.....

:nerd:

Suprised there hasn't been a "Diablo Sucks, Plattekill rules" yet..

My buddy snapped his Jamis Diablo on the chainstay last season.. so I guess all these broken rentals doesn't really suprise me?

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Suprised there hasn't been a "Diablo Sucks, Plattekill rules" yet..
I think everyone matured from the "Diablo sucks plattekill rules" stuff.... we are all happy we have options to ride with lift assist in the North East......

i only hit Highland and Diablo this season though....

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
just one final note on the whole broken rental thing...part of the reason y companies like Jamis, Iron Horse (when it was a company), Specialized etc do these rental programs is to put their frames through a mass range of riders, some smooth, some terrible, as well as to see how their frames will hold up after being dumped multiple times a day...but i do hope things get sorted out because the last thing you want to think about when coming off a drop is "hope my bike stays in one piece"...can't wait till next season though hopefully all the **** destroyed by ski stuff will be replaced and improved upon! (Although i'm not sad to see crap chute go)

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
6x12 at best - that drop is lamesauce; the 'reg' line to the left is magnitudes of gnar better.
Lamesauce? Magnitudes of gnar? I really wish people would type in English instead of internet make-believe language. How old are you?

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that the person that BUILT the drop has a pretty good idea of the dimensions. Try reading the rest of the thread.

For what it's worth, that drop is awesome. Polish Rambo builds amazing things.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Good drop for sure just a shame it leads to nowhere. Good stunts become great if they are part of the flow of a trail in my opinion.

DH-LOS

Chimp
Oct 3, 2009
Nobody rents at ridetopia cause they rent out cove frames which are NICE... The shocker aint gonna break..

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Lamesauce? Magnitudes of gnar? I really wish people would type in English instead of internet make-believe language. How old are you?

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that the person that BUILT the drop has a pretty good idea of the dimensions. Try reading the rest of the thread.

For what it's worth, that drop is awesome. Polish Rambo builds amazing things.
I am 40, and managed to ace all my writing requirments (<-- look I missed an 'e') up through my BA in Anthropology; as you pointed out, it's the internet it is not a Doctoral thesis as some try to make it - I try not to take it that seriously

I am 6'8" and when I stand under the end of the bridge, I am about level with it. I misstated and said 6 instad of almost 7. Bottom line is that, regardless of claimed dimesnions, it is a simple plop of a drop that I find boring, and have skipped it in favor of the left line almost exclusively. That asessment is on point with what I hear from pretty much every rider I know, especially the rippers/racers. You can disagree without being offended or throwing jabs. It's a great progression test, but a boring line.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
He he - funny thing it that drop actually leads straight into some cool turns. I think its the best drop they have build.
Agreed! Bang into the woods, or hard right into the degraded stepup then left into the woods (or straight through the lil' skinny skillz zone and off through the woods.......)

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
IBottom line is that, regardless of claimed dimesnions, it is a simple plop of a drop that I find boring, and have skipped it in favor of the left line almost exclusively.
Yea that left line is fun as hell too. I know that it's not the biggest drop in the park, but I find it fun partly because I think a lot of people don't ride it. You come into the ladder bridge pretty much blind, which makes it cool. Then you get to sail over a giant rock right after you land.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Yea that left line is fun as hell too. I know that it's not the biggest drop in the park, but I find it fun partly because I think a lot of people don't ride it. You come into the ladder bridge pretty much blind, which makes it cool. Then you get to sail over a giant rock right after you land.
Im not speakin for everybody - not trying to!

I think most people skip it, but some people session it. The first time I hit it I was a tad sketched out on the approach due to the 'blind' factor. Also sketchy was my desire to use that big rock after as a giant kicker - Im glad I didnt follow through on that one...

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
but they are twice or three times as old....i guess Turner makes a better bike than Jamis...who woulda thought
A couple years older? Yes. As many ridden hours as a single season Jamis bike? Not likely....

Turner makes a far better bike no doubt. But those Jamis bikes are ridden everyday of the season...