Quantcast

Documentaries....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Full documentary available online free until Aug 7 - Herman's House

New Orleans native and former Black Panther activist Herman Wallace went to jail in 1967 at age 25 for a robbery he admits committing. In 1972, he was accused of the murder of a prison guard, a crime he vehemently denies, and placed in solitary confinement in a 6-foot-by-9-foot cell in the Louisiana State Penitentiary, also known as Angola. Wallace was subsequently convicted and given a life sentence. Fellow Black Panther Albert Woodfox was also placed in solitary and then convicted of the same guard's murder. A third Panther activist, Robert King, was placed in solitary at that time though eventually convicted of a different murder. Together the three men became famous as the "Angola Three."

Except for a brief period, Wallace has remained in solitary confinement 23 hours a day for 40 years, and he has never stopped protesting and appealing his murder conviction. Over the years, as doubts about the men's guilt accumulated— King was freed in 2001, and in February of this year a judge ordered the release of Woodfox— concern has also grown that Wallace and an estimated 80,000 other prisoners in the United States are being subjected to solitary confinement. In 2002, Wallace received a letter that asked an extraordinary question. Jackie Sumell, a young New York artist, wrote, "What kind of house does a man who has lived in a 6-foot-by-9-foot cell for over 30 years dream of?"

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Happy People: A year in the Taiga. Directed by Herzog (Grizzlyman)

Interesting documentary, showcases the lives of fur trappers in remota Siberia. Turns out they live pretty good by working hard.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It might not be what you're thinking. Watch it.
I caught it on Netflix, but I heard it's going to be on CNN this week.
I added it to my queue for tonight. Might be tough to watch, but what an interesting concept. Kinda like the (urban legand, I think) "dog" that someone bought in Mexico that turned out to be a rat, only worse. :panic:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
That was some crazy sh!t, wow. I can't imagine...
To be honest I fell asleep about 45min into it. Not necessarily due to lack of interest, it was just very late. I dozed off right about where it was starting to get good...he had just got flown to TX. I'll finish it tonight.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Damn, I will need to watch that. My first was pretty bad all things considered. Married just over 2 years, took almost 2 years to get divorced, cost a lot of $$$ and was raked over the coals. Yay...
from the looks of all the trailers at the youtube channel, this film should definitely NOT be shown in a theater, lest any ex-cops go see it & pop off

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BTW, his tribe in Afghanistan, the Hazzara, are an oppressed minority(see The Kite Runner).

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm sure this was mentioned already (hell, I might have mentioned it), but Sound City by Dave Grohl was an awesome, entertaining and inspiring watch. I noticed it for the first time the other night on Netflix or Amazon Video (forget which), but was pumped to see it available.