Quantcast

ETSU Spring Race - Nationals Qualifier

AndyPav

Chimp
Sep 8, 2010
Columbus GA
If anyone is interested, ill be taking donations for the Wounded Warrior Project at the billy goat bike/mountain khaki tent. Spare change is great any litle bit helps! See you guys Saturday mornin!

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
People who love pump tracks will love this course! It does not suit me at all...all pedal and pump....oh well, I know lots of people like that stuff, and they have done a good job with the terrain available. Should have trained for this....not really.

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
People who love pump tracks will love this course! It does not suit me at all...all pedal and pump....oh well, I know lots of people like that stuff, and they have done a good job with the terrain available. Should have trained for this....not really.
So I DH bike won't be fun on this course? Is it flat? What are the jumps like?big/small??

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
If you can ride a pump track, leave your DH bike home and fly. A hack like me who couldn't ride a pump track if his life depended on it will need all the suspension he can get to plow through a bunch of 18 inch high dirt obstacles. Fast pedaling and pumping is a must if you want to go fast. Rock sections are small and short. Flat, tight turns...small jumps, favors agile bikes and riders over soft suspension plowing.

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
If you can ride a pump track, leave your DH bike home and fly. A hack like me who couldn't ride a pump track if his life depended on it will need all the suspension he can get to plow through a bunch of 18 inch high dirt obstacles. Fast pedaling and pumping is a must if you want to go fast. Rock sections are small and short. Flat, tight turns...small jumps, favors agile bikes and riders over soft suspension plowing.
I've never ridden a pump track so I can' t comment on that. I have a ibis I might bring instead of my DH rig. Hopefully it will work

caleb

Chimp
Mar 30, 2010
For those of you wondering what the course is like, this is one of my race runs from last year. They did say the course has slightly been changed meaning no log drop at the top, but this can give ya a rough estimate.

[video=pinkbike;190416]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/190416/[/video]

Last edited:

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
For those of you wondering what the course is like, this is one of my race runs from last year. They did say the course has slightly been changed meaning no log drop at the top, but this can give ya a rough estimate.

[video=pinkbike;190416]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/190416/[/video]
At the :30 mark where the log drop used to be there is a double or dirt jump with lander thats hard to get the speed fer....between :30 thru :45 there are 3 more dirt jumps then at 1:04 there is a gap jump to the right of that tree. The rest of the course looks about the same.

^^^Kinda like this jump^^^^^

Its gonna make the top section slower

Last edited:

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Good day today running the course. Heither and I ran it three times, then spent the rest of the afternoon scoping out photo ops. It's a fun course, but I agree with Randy's comment early about riding something that "pops". With a V-10, my 200lb self and lack of skill, I can't get enough pop to make the doubles, so it's rollers for me.

Anyway, can't wait to see everybody out there tomorrow. Look for the bright jerseys and helmet and that's us/Team BGB-MK.

Heres a shot I like from today.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Good day today running the course. Heither and I ran it three times, then spent the rest of the afternoon scoping out photo ops. It's a fun course, but I agree with Randy's comment early about riding something that "pops". With a V-10, my 200lb self and lack of skill, I can't get enough pop to make the doubles, so it's rollers for me.

Anyway, can't wait to see everybody out there tomorrow. Look for the bright jerseys and helmet and that's us/Team BGB-MK.

Heres a shot I like from today.
It should be a great day tomorrow and from what I saw dragontalesdh and crew has moved a lot of dirt, and spent hours & hours on the course. Just good to see that much interest in a course ~ even if its not my style of riding.

d.tate

Judge Dread
May 22, 2007
Very fun little course. I was suprised how easy it is to push up to the top. The course is fairly tight and smooth so that alone makes a shorter travel bike a good choice, without even considering the doubles. The ds course is also pretty cool. I didn't get here till 3:00 but was able to ride till I flat wore out at about 7:30!

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Wow I just had the most pathetic day of racing in my short mountain biking history. I flatted on both of my DH runs and had to race the #1 qualifier in slalom for the first round, even though I'm almost positive I didn't qualify last.

Anyway, it was awesome to hang with everyone and the event was very well put together. The courses were both awesome - great job at ETSU y'all! Maybe next time I'll actually put some air in my tires and have a decent result. :D

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Big thanks to the crew that put the ETSU race on today. So much fun and good to hang with everyone. The race was well put on and my hats off to those that worked to make it happen.

Kenan, we all have bad days. I always say a bad day on the bike is a better day than not on it!! It was good to see you racing with us again.

Thanks again,

Cecil:thumb:

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
+1. Thanks to all the ETSU folks for a great race and for all their work in putting on the race, it was a great course. Had a lot of fun out there :thumb:

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
+2 to Thomas and the ETSU crew! Awesome day yesterday and I was literally DEAD when I got home at 10:00 last night. Thanks for letting us be a part of the event and a personal thanks from me for letting me get one run in at the end.

Pics coming soon, always takes a couple of days as I have prob 2000+ frames to go through. Here's another one from Fri practice to hold everybody over.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
+2 to Thomas and the ETSU crew! Awesome day yesterday and I was literally DEAD when I got home at 10:00 last night. Thanks for letting us be a part of the event and a personal thanks from me for letting me get one run in at the end.

Pics coming soon, always takes a couple of days as I have prob 2000+ frames to go through. Here's another one from Fri practice to hold everybody over.

I never saw this kid ride the dh trail but he was killin it on the DS.

mxdoc29

Chimp
Mar 21, 2012
I would also like to thank all involved. The course was alot of fun and the atmosphere was awesome.. cheers to all!

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
Thomas, how many total entries did you guys end up having? Please let me know. Thank you sir.
Jay, I think we had close to 95 entries for downhill and probably 50-60 for dual slalom.

thanks to everyone who came out to race. im glad the weather was great and everyone had a good time. i will get some results posted on here as soon as i can.

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
Great event...good to see everyone again and meet some new people...Thanks for the event had an awesome time, hope to see some of you in a couple of weeks at Massanutten.

dirtyjungle

Chimp
Jun 22, 2011
Charlotte
Wish I could have raced. I was there Friday riding the track getting ready for the race. All I did was run off the trail a little and tore my ACL MCL and Pettlla tindon. But let me say we were having a great time on the track. Way to go ETSU I will see you next year.

Does anyone know if USA Cycling will help me on medical bills I am a License holder.

Pulled 220cc of blood/fluid off my knee.

leg.jpg

dirtinmyeye

Chimp
Apr 16, 2012
I have posted pictures from Saturday's downhill and slalom at my website:

www.randomstartphotography.com

You can view, share on your Facebook page, or purchase from the site. The watermark will not appear on photos that are purchased.

This was my boys' second downhill and first ever slalom race - and we loved it! Thank you so much to all of the ETSU volunteers who put in so much time and effort to make this a wonderful day! Thank you also for breaking down the juniors into age classes. That really meant a lot to the younger riders.

Mandy Loorham

Random Start Photography
www.facebook.com/RandomStartPhotography

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Wish I could have raced. I was there Friday riding the track getting ready for the race. All I did was run off the trail a little and tore my ACL MCL and Pettlla tindon. But let me say we were having a great time on the track. Way to go ETSU I will see you next year.

Does anyone know if USA Cycling will help me on medical bills I am a License holder.

Pulled 220cc of blood/fluid off my knee.

View attachment 110772
It will depend on several things.
1. Were you registered to race already?
2. What days did ETSU buy insurance for?
3. Did you fill out a USAC incident report with a USAC or EMT official on site?
If the above are in your favor, then USAC insurance will kick in as your secondary to whatever primary health coverage you may have.

If you have NO primary health care coverage, then yes. You have to pay the deductible and then if I'm not wrong it's 70/30.

I had to have my ACL re-done b/c I blew it in qualifying at Nationals in Seven Springs. Had the EMT's complete a report. My $16k worth of bills and custom Cti brace only cost me $4k in the end.

Call the event promoter and find out ASAP.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
I have posted pictures from Saturday's downhill and slalom at my website:

You can view, share on your Facebook page, or purchase from the site. The watermark will not appear on photos that are purchased.

This was my boys' second downhill and first ever slalom race - and we loved it! Thank you so much to all of the ETSU volunteers who put in so much time and effort to make this a wonderful day! Thank you also for breaking down the juniors into age classes. That really meant a lot to the younger riders.

Mandy Loorham
Thanks a lot for the pictures, they're all lookin great :)