Quantcast

Evil Revolt or Transition TR450! Help me out

Jan 25, 2010
Ontario
Well it is come down to it, a new DH rig. I have researched and searched forum after forum and still undecided and it has come to asking for help.

I have had my eye on the Revolt for sometime now but with the release of the TR450 it has thrown a wrench in the gears. I have been riding DH for approximately 2 years and have come off of a Stinky and Five 0. I want a bike that will last me for some time and that will be reliable and take the nasty burly hits that I will be throwing at it.

Price wise the TR450 seems to be a better deal with the frame and offered build kit from the factory. However, I am skeptical with there first year of production. The Revolt would be a very similar build as I am trying to keep on budget.

I will never be a world cup racer but simply looking for the best options for future development. Both bikes will have RC4 rear shocks and Fox 40's up front.

Unfortunatelly I have not tested either. There are no Evil dealers in our province, which makes me a little nervous and the TR450 are still on the boat to North America!

Any help from riders with experience on these bikes would be great!

Thanks

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
You can't really go wrong with either one. I'm sure that you will find more positive reviews of the Revolt seeing as its already been out for over a year. The Transition will be significantly cheaper though, saving you some funds for sweet parts (assuming thats nessecary).

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Well it is come down to it, a new DH rig. I have researched and searched forum after forum and still undecided and it has come to asking for help.

I have had my eye on the Revolt for sometime now but with the release of the TR450 it has thrown a wrench in the gears. I have been riding DH for approximately 2 years and have come off of a Stinky and Five 0. I want a bike that will last me for some time and that will be reliable and take the nasty burly hits that I will be throwing at it.

Price wise the TR450 seems to be a better deal with the frame and offered build kit from the factory. However, I am skeptical with there first year of production. The Revolt would be a very similar build as I am trying to keep on budget.

I will never be a world cup racer but simply looking for the best options for future development. Both bikes will have RC4 rear shocks and Fox 40's up front.

Unfortunatelly I have not tested either. There are no Evil dealers in our province, which makes me a little nervous and the TR450 are still on the boat to North America!

Any help from riders with experience on these bikes would be great!

Thanks
two great bikes, two great companies with top notch customer service

buy the bike you want, not the one someone else wants you to buy

neither will leave you disappointed

this will prob turn into a 5 page thread based on anything but facts... should be entertaining.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
After riding both, I would pay full retail for my evil. I am blown away by the way it rides. It pedals much better than the 450 and feels like it has endless travel. The evil handles harsh hits better and is easier to jump and "flick" through the course. It takes a few days to get used to the Evil as it is unlike any bike I've ever ridden, but now that I am comfortable on it, I am finding I can point it anywhere and it just laughs at me!

I liked my 450, and pricewise it will be cheaper, but if you can afford it, the Revolt is a better DH bike. Plus they've already had their first year and figured out the kinks, which is always an unknown in a first year production run.

-KT

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As previously said - can't make a wrong choice but always you can do as I did an order the new legend ;) The price should be similar to evil.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
same shock on both?

After riding both, I would pay full retail for my evil. I am blown away by the way it rides. It pedals much better than the 450 and feels like it has endless travel. The evil handles harsh hits better and is easier to jump and "flick" through the course. It takes a few days to get used to the Evil as it is unlike any bike I've ever ridden, but now that I am comfortable on it, I am finding I can point it anywhere and it just laughs at me!

I liked my 450, and pricewise it will be cheaper, but if you can afford it, the Revolt is a better DH bike. Plus they've already had their first year and figured out the kinks, which is always an unknown in a first year production run.

-KT

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hopefully this wont turn into a bitch fest before you get your info.

i love my Revolt. it is one of the best DH bikes ive had...although, not the best that ive owned.
after riding the RC4 on it for the whole year, i have found that i do not like it. if there are other shock options for you, i would pursue those.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I am biased...

But, you won't have any first year issues with the TR450. We have had a full season of gnarly NW riding in all weather conditions to give the prototypes a real thrashing.

We did not make any significant changes from those prototypes and we already have extra hardware kits, axles, hangers etc on the water with the frames. Above that, all bearings in the frame are standard cartridges that are readily available world wide. No weird bearings with spacers built in, odd size bushings or needle bearings, etc.

We set out to make the TR450 an amateur friendly bike, easy to work on and durable enough to ride for a long time between linkage overhauls, etc.

And as you said, the price on a complete is great, especially in Canada.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
we already have extra hardware kits, axles, hangers etc on the water with the frames. Above that, all bearings in the frame are standard cartridges that are readily available world wide. No weird bearings with spacers built in, odd size bushings or needle bearings, etc.
awesome! :thumb::thumb:

alant

Chimp
Oct 11, 2008
Not meant as a dig toward you in any way, but would you be the saying the same about the Transition if you were sponsored by them?

-KT

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Evil is probably the better performing bike (I think proven dw technology vs. transition). But as said, transition does make quality stuff. I don't know about the revolts adjustability, but keep in mind the TR450 is pretty adjustable too.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
great thread...If I wasn't trying to eek another season out of my dh bike then i would be faced with the same 2 bikes as my delema...

I have to say I would probably go with the transition, it's a no nonsense killer at a better price point. Sam's comments about an 'Amateur Friendly Bike' makes a ton of sense, I truly believe there isn't a better bike for the money than the TR450...

go that route, I have ridden almost exclusively transition bikes for the past 4 years and they treat riders great.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
^^ Since Kyle interned at Tr. and helped with the development of the 450, I would attach a great deal of significance to his opinion.
Clarification.

KT did intern at Transition, but that was long before the TR450 project began. His involvement in that bike did not extend beyond giving the bike a good thrashing on the trail, and giving a thumbs up/down to the geo as it evolved.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Not meant as a dig toward you in any way, but would you be the saying the same about the Transition if you were sponsored by them?
I was and like I stated, I liked the bike. It did a lot of things well. It was really slack and low and liked going fast. It was head an shoulders above many other bikes I've ridden and for the money is a great deal as the two frames are on different price points.

I stated that the evil pedals much better. Mostly due to the higher pivot placement, and the suspension ramps up signifigantly at the end of the stroke, hence the bottomless feeling. I think that it handles the harsh hits better than the 450 did and "pops" easier than the 450.

It's not meant to be a biased opinion, although it is. But not many people have time on a 450, I had a full season on mine. I liked it, but it could be improved in places like any bike. I just feel that the engineering that went into the revolt is superior and if you are looking for a boutique bike that is the latest and greatest in suspension technology designed by arguably the best MTB engineer in the buisness, then the Revolt is the way to go. If you are looking for a cheap basic bike that will get you through the season without complaints, than I think the 450 is a good choice.

-KT

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Clarification.

KT did intern at Transition, but that was long before the TR450 project began. His involvement in that bike did not extend beyond giving the bike a good thrashing on the trail, and giving a thumbs up/down to the geo as it evolved.
This is true. I was an intern there duing the blindside/bank projects.

-KT

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Clarification.

This is true. I was an intern there duing the blindside/bank projects.

-KT
Sorry for the way I worded that. I did not intend to confuse the chronology or imply that Kyle was instrumental in the development of the TR450 during his intership.

I was just trying to say that, as a racer who spent a season on a TR and gave (hopefully) valuable feedback - - and given his past - - that if any bias would show, I would expect it to come down on the side of Transition.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm blown away that someone would post something like this about a company that they rode for.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
For what its worth, I think the RC4 is the best feeling shock I have ever ridden and it makes bikes that might otherwise feel mediocre or even sub-par feel absolutely stellar. I am consistently blown away by how much smoother my bike is this season vs. last season w/ 2008 Fox equip, and though I changed frames, I'm sure my 2010 Fox suspension has a big part to do with that (the 40 feels much better than the 08).

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
For what its worth, I think the RC4 is the best feeling shock I have ever ridden and it makes bikes that might otherwise feel mediocre or even sub-par feel absolutely stellar. I am consistently blown away by how much smoother my bike is this season vs. last season w/ 2008 Fox equip, and though I changed frames, I'm sure my 2010 Fox suspension has a big part to do with that (the 40 feels much better than the 08).
i feel the opposite about the RC4. i think both of my Curnutt shocks (coil and air) performed better than it. i was skeptical about the RC4 since i hated the DHX (the Push'd DHX was awesome) and after riding the RC4 for a solid season, i confirmed my personally feeling for it.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
i feel the opposite about the RC4. i think both of my Curnutt shocks (coil and air) performed better than it. i was skeptical about the RC4 since i hated the DHX (the Push'd DHX was awesome) and after riding the RC4 for a solid season, i confirmed my personally feeling for it.
Well first off I'd have to say you're the exception...which is ok! I like a lot of stuff other people might not care for, too.

The other thing, is that if you were running the WC RC4 like what is in your signature, I'm pretty sure that shock has the hard Atherton damping setup, as opposed to the general consumer shock with lighter damping. On a bike like the Evil, that could be a big issue because the Evil (like the Sunday) seems to respond well to very little damping. It may have come on your frame, but it doesn't mean that it was the best choice for that frame (or frame for that shock).

Also, they tune that shock for people that are hitting terrain HARD (like WC riders), so the rest of us are bound to not care for it as much, which is why they make the consumer edition

I'd be interested to know what you think of your frame with a shock that has been tuned well for it...maybe a good reason to buy an Elka so they can do it for you??

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well first off I'd have to say you're the exception...which is ok! I like a lot of stuff other people might not care for, too.

The other thing, is that if you were running the WC RC4 like what is in your signature, I'm pretty sure that shock has the hard Atherton damping setup, as opposed to the general consumer shock with lighter damping. On a bike like the Evil, that could be a big issue because the Evil (like the Sunday) seems to respond well to very little damping. It may have come on your frame, but it doesn't mean that it was the best choice for that frame (or frame for that shock).

Also, they tune that shock for people that are hitting terrain HARD (like WC riders), so the rest of us are bound to not care for it as much, which is why they make the consumer edition

I'd be interested to know what you think of your frame with a shock that has been tuned well for it...maybe a good reason to buy an Elka so they can do it for you??
the World Cup RC4 is no different than a standard RC4, just limited edition and was on sale months prior to the standard RC4. the 40 WC had the different compression tuning.
when my CCDB arrives, ill be able to see how a different shock performs on the bike. i am glad i did get the WC RC4 over the DHX which was the only option for the Revolt when i bought the frame.

everyone is different like you said. i prefer my Curnutts and or my old Avy over the Fox options.....but thats just me

Last edited:

the F.H.B

Monkey
Jun 2, 2006
Syd, Australia
I want a bike that will last me for some time and that will be reliable and take the nasty burly hits that I will be throwing at it.
I have limited riding experience on the TR450 as I've only had mine built up for a week or so but I would have to say I'm super impressed by the build quality and how cleanly the frame builds up. The overall finish on the TR450 is great and I am confident that mine will take any number of "nasty burly hits" and come out just fine.

I pay alot of attention to the quality of the finish, ease of building up and consideration put into to things like cable routing when I buy a bike and you straight away get a feel for that quality with the TR450. The guys at Transition have come up with a gem of a bike and you really get a sense of all the hours that have gone into refining such a good DH frame as soon as you build one up.

I'm not qualified to speak on the Revolt as I've not had the chance to ride one but dollar for dollar I dont think you could go past the TR450!:thumb:

the F.H.B

Monkey
Jun 2, 2006
Syd, Australia
The Australian price is $3540 which when you consider the exchange rate $1 AU = $0.90 US just goes to show how lucky you are paying the prices your paying in the US. And a Revolt is $4999 Aus...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'd get the cheaper of the two and spend the difference on a nice fork and some lift tickets. Its not like there would be any difference in your times from one to the other unless you're pushing 100% all the time.

I can't wait to get my TR450....

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
I have limited riding experience on the TR450 as I've only had mine built up for a week or so but I would have to say I'm super impressed by the build quality and how cleanly the frame builds up. The overall finish on the TR450 is great and I am confident that mine will take any number of "nasty burly hits" and come out just fine.

I pay alot of attention to the quality of the finish, ease of building up and consideration put into to things like cable routing when I buy a bike and you straight away get a feel for that quality with the TR450. The guys at Transition have come up with a gem of a bike and you really get a sense of all the hours that have gone into refining such a good DH frame as soon as you build one up.

I'm not qualified to speak on the Revolt as I've not had the chance to ride one but dollar for dollar I dont think you could go past the TR450!:thumb:
+1 on the build quality comparing to my old blindside
not saying the blindside is bad but this one is just even better...
the paint looks a lot more durable and the design suits shuttling a lot more (no more rubbing on welds when leaned against other frames)

the rear end is noticably stiffer and looks like it can stand lots of abuse..

havent tried the evil..but it looks good as well

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
well ,i wont talk about the tr450 as im a transition dealer ,but i dont see ,of all dh bikes available on the market ,how could anyone really think about investing around 2800usd in a revolt frame.putting aside the performance of the glorified "delta" linkage (which im sure is great),it seems that there are allot of problems with the linkage bolts/overall linkage design in term of durability , hence - http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Thomas-Vanderhams-Prototype-Evil-Revolt,1042/Slideshow,3896/sspomer,2
a 2009 frame that gets a new prototype for 2010 is very wrong (for current customers at least)
also ,dont forget the added tt/st brace that was added "just for looks/ind design" and not cause people were cracking their revolts.imo,it looks out of place and ugly and an unplanned fix.

the revolt kinda reminds me of the new turner dhr ,but in the opposite direction - lets get the bike out first and than work on the problems/issues !