Quantcast

expensive hobbies...

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
math2014 said:
James nice gibbo you got there bro. However i d rather get a strat rather than having to battle through Gibsons (nowadays) dodgy QC.
Who said I bought it new? :D It's a 1981 (with the volute thing where the neck meets the headstock) that had the guts ripped out and replaced by Gibson's custom factory (by the previous owner), all hand-wired w/ Burstbuckers in '96 or '97. I still wonder what the hell the guy I bought it from was thinking, he said something about a White Penguin I think.

The best part is, I bought it in 2000 and it still looked brand new, a bit of buckle rash on the back but I think the previous owner must have polished it like once a week.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
the Inbred said:
wow. that was good.
G-g-g-g-G UNIT

I don't think I'm eminem, I promise. Speaking of which, I don't know if I ever plugged the last band I was in on the board here, y'all should check out www.flowbots.com. It's not what it used to be as the band is sort of dead, but there's still some good tracks on there.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
James | Go-Ride said:
Who said I bought it new? :D It's a 1981 (with the volute thing where the neck meets the headstock) that had the guts ripped out and replaced by Gibson's custom factory (by the previous owner), all hand-wired w/ Burstbuckers in '96 or '97. I still wonder what the hell the guy I bought it from was thinking, he said something about a White Penguin I think.

The best part is, I bought it in 2000 and it still looked brand new, a bit of buckle rash on the back but I think the previous owner must have polished it like once a week.

then congrats x2 . I just hear a lot of people complaining about recent gibsons....

ah well i ll get a strat as it seems...

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
math2014 said:
then congrats x2 . I just hear a lot of people complaining about recent gibsons....

ah well i ll get a strat as it seems...
If you really wanted a Gibby but don't want to worry about QC of late, I would highly, highly suggest checking out a Gretsch DuoJet. Their pickups have a pretty unique sound but I think their tone is really cool because it doesn't sound like anything else. I'm always surprised to meet guys who love Gibsons to death but have never played a Gretsch solid body.

I don't know what it is about Fenders, never really did much for me.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Guitars are diffinetely an expensive hobby... granted, my stuff is paid for and I nothing new really makes me want to pull out the c-card... not that I really need to... 3 Gibson Les Pauls, 1 USA Strat, 1 Custom Shop Explorer, 1 ESP Horizon (old 80's US-made n/t model), 1 Ovation Classical, 1 Tacoma dreadnaught - all US-made stuff. Plus a few others... Not to mention amps... effects... etc... Most bought about 10 years ago when I couldn't pass a guitar and not buy it... pretty much, if you can name it, I've owned one... PRS... Ric's... Tele's... Strat (had more than one back then)... SG's... and a whole host of other oddities... I had a ton of recording equipment as well, but when I stopped using it I decided it was best to sell it before it became totally worthless... knowing that if/when I get back into it, I'll probably go digital.

Woodworking can suck away some serious cash for sure... go price some high quality chisels ($300+)... or a good table saw ($600 - $2000)...

As can buying tools to work on cars... Go to Snap-on.com and price some tools... granted, that's pro-stuff, but for some things, Craftsman just doesn't work quite well enough... I'll probably splurge for some Snap-on ratchets some time this year...

Pretty much, as soon as you add an engine into the mix, costs rise exponentially... that was actually what got me into mtn biking... back in 1990 I had a choice: mtn bike or MX bike... decided going with pedal-power would be cheaper... how was I to know I'd be spending many thousands some years later on a race bike for a version of the sport that barely existed back then (DH).

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
d.e.f. said:
whitewater kayaking was expenive to get into, but not too bad once you had everything. plus water hippies are usually pretty cool about giving you shuttles back to your car.

And they aren't too bashful about getting nekkid on the side of the road.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
profro said:
And they aren't too bashful about getting nekkid on the side of the road.
All kinds of fine ladies on the Ocoee during the summer - and some of them even take care of the arm pit/leg hair.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
d.e.f. said:
All kinds of fine ladies on the Ocoee during the summer - and some of them even take care of the arm pit/leg hair.
I know I've seen some on the Tellico. Doug man, give me a call. We need to ride. How about Bigfoot tomorrow afternoon?

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Tully said:
Music can be pretty expensive. I'm planning to be a professional flute and saxophone player, and (hopefully before I start college) I need to buy a really serious flute ($15,000+) and piccolo ($3000+). In addition to that, I need at least one each of a professional-quality soprano, alto, and tenor sax, each of which is $3000-$5500. As a sax player, you should be at least proficient on clarinet, so there goes another $2000-$4000. Plus, you have to spend what averages out to a few hundred annually on maintenance.

At some point, I'll probably need a car, too. :rolleyes:

you beat me to it. i just dropped $4000 on a new french horn this weekend. When i go to college in a few years, i'll need to look at a nicer horn ($8,000-10,000+, maybe more?)

i need a straight mute ($120) and another mouthpiece or two ($300) and eventually, a second bell ($800+), for a slightly different sound depending on what i'm playing...

wait, what am i doing on? all-state band audition is 2 days away, and i go to NYC to play in Carnegie Hall in three weeks.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
profro said:
I know I've seen some on the Tellico. Doug man, give me a call. We need to ride. How about Bigfoot tomorrow afternoon?
Snowboarding fool! I bought Scottie's prototype sims a few weeks ago so all I've been doing is boarding. I've gotta use these darn free lift tickets while I can. Even these crappy local mountains got over a foot the past few days so thats where I'll be (if the bald "high performance" dunlops on the wagon can get me up there). But saturday / sunday morning looks clever if the weather holds. I think I've still got your number. The V10 is mad at me right now, she's been hearing me talking of liquidating her for moving money or a new girl if I stay.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
InsaneP2Rider said:
you beat me to it. i just dropped $4000 on a new french horn this weekend. When i go to college in a few years, i'll need to look at a nicer horn ($8,000-10,000+, maybe more?)

i need a straight mute ($120) and another mouthpiece or two ($300) and eventually, a second bell ($800+), for a slightly different sound depending on what i'm playing...

wait, what am i doing on? all-state band audition is 2 days away, and i go to NYC to play in Carnegie Hall in three weeks.
Whenever I whine about how expensive my music stuff is, I remember my violinist friend, who is about to spend potentially $50,000 or more for a new violin. :eek:

By the way, good luck with your all-state audition--if you haven't gone before, it's a lot of fun. Last year, we got the instrumental music director from Florida State University; he was awesome. And out of curiosity, with what group are you going to Carnegie Hall? Good luck with that, too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My brothers fat chick is kind of expensive....

Close to 30k. Hopefully VW power by the end of the year.

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
clancy98 said:
thats why you keep your shooting muffs on. Blocks out all the crying from babies and liberals.
Guns r lame, liberal or not

i know i know, here's the part were u tell me glocks are good for hunting deer...tell those liberals to go back to their holes!

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
I race rally...its a small car...but its lots of funn any way...im building a new one for this summer...after the crash we rebuilt it and did 2 otter rally...but the shell was just do damage to keep going...so im building a new one...doing everyting my self..the cage ect ect...i like the fabrication and all...but dam!!... i cant waith untill i can get my ass on a special stage...

4 roll crash

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Paris said:

i know i know, here's the part were u tell me glocks are good for hunting deer...tell those liberals to go back to their holes!
just for you

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Paris said:

I wouldn't mind owning a Beretta over-under, simply for the purpose of trap and skeet shooting. I don't think I'd even keep ammo in my house other than maybe if I bring it inside a few minutes before going to the range.

It's like playing duck hunt, only your shoulder is sore and your ears ring. And there's no bloody animated hound to laugh at you when you miss.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Paris said:

:stosh:

Not every one who owns guns hunts, target shooting can be alot of fun.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Daman said:
I race rally...its a small car...but its lots of funn any way...im building a new one for this summer...after the crash we rebuilt it and did 2 otter rally...but the shell was just do damage to keep going...so im building a new one...doing everyting my self..the cage ect ect...i like the fabrication and all...but dam!!... i cant waith untill i can get my ass on a special stage...

4 roll crash
Yo, Alain! Good to see you haven't killed yourself yet. Can you PM or email me with the local rally dates this summer? I finally have a ton of new camera gear and want to go shoot some rallies over the summer.

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
Fulton said:
8k? for axels? Where do you buy your stuff?...you could be rolling on 2.5 ton rockwells for that price. Last summer I helped a buddy install custom dana 60's in his jeep. Was under $5k total, including fabing new suspension links.
brand new pro rocks with 35 splines or 40 are about 4200 a piece...

and yes if i were to do dana 60's i'd pull them from a dodge for alot cheaper..
i was just saying howing it could be.

i think mogs might be even more than rockwells...

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Photography is super exspensive, $500 for a flash, $1000-$6000 for EACH lens
$1600-$8000 for a camera body, $200 for a backpack, Digital Cards are like $200

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
stevew said:
My brothers fat chick is kind of expensive....

Close to 30k. Hopefully VW power by the end of the year.
Just so I'm not crazy... this is a rear drive V8 powered new beetle right?? That must have been a fun fab job. What VW motor would you use in that?

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Daman said:
How is the justy as a rally car? Ive alwasy liked the idea of building a fast justy but the 3-cyl always scared me off. Is your new car another justy of something different.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Tully said:
Music can be pretty expensive.
musicians, like cyclists, are amusing. "i need the best" when what you really need to do is perfect your technique on what you have, then drop the coin on instruments that are worth more than a used car.

InsaneP2Rider, as a freshman in high school, why aren't you using the school's instruments?

i think in my 4yrs of high school, i spent more on reeds and mouthpieces than i did on my Super Action 80. looking back now, i don't know why i didn't just stick with VanDoren 3.5s and a C*.

i did acquire a couple of badass "jazz" mouthpieces. and a wooden clarinet. and a G-bugle (+2 mouth pieces), and a baritone (+1 mouthpiece). all for free. thanks high school!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the Inbred said:
musicians, like cyclists, are amusing. "i need the best" when what you really need to do is perfect your technique on what you have, then drop the coin on instruments that are worth more than a used car.
awesome. i just went to kelley blue book, and my trumpets are worth over twice as much as my car. :D heh.

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
TheInedibleHulk said:
How is the justy as a rally car? Ive alwasy liked the idea of building a fast justy but the 3-cyl always scared me off. Is your new car another justy of something different.

Yes the new car is a otter justy, shee is going to be very nice and trick out ...i love them...and its a car that i ca afford to roll down a cliff....its also very cheap to run compare to most rally car.

The 3 cyl enegine is not a big deal if you have one that is in a good shape or that you have rebuilt...we are always at 7000...7500 rpm (its the only way to get some speed)...yes we did blew few engines...but now i know how to rebuilt them to make them last.. there is also few mods you can do to make them alot more efficient.

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
Porsche 911....a special one at that (to me anyway). The initial cost was very low, just $8k for the car. Then I started to work on making it better/faster and the cost of go fast parts is very expensive for the 911 series. The largest chunk of change I have in my 30 year old car is the $12k engine....my car is a true sleeper!

So between me getting hooked on FR/DH bikes and taking my car around the track...I am one broke SOB. :cool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brad23 said:
for me we have biking, snowboarding, camping, landsailing, and then....music
2000 records @ $12.00 each
i assume these are 12" records, since it looks like you are a DJ? seems spendy. hit the used shops. i've probably got around 2000 or so lps, but the average price i've paid is definitely less than $12 (although there are a few near the $100 mark).

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
k9handler said:
Porsche 911....a special one at that (to me anyway). The initial cost was very low, just $8k for the car. Then I started to work on making it better/faster and the cost of go fast parts is very expensive for the 911 series. The largest chunk of change I have in my 30 year old car is the $12k engine....my car is a true sleeper!

So between me getting hooked on FR/DH bikes and taking my car around the track...I am one broke SOB. :cool:
Cool:thumb: I just started looking for a Porsche 911, 1985-1990 for a goof off car.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
If ya have 90K laying around to spend you could blow it on this. It cost over 150K to build new.
Just think, you could dump all that money in it and still could not drive it to work. lol
It just blows me away that people have the extra cash like that for a toy.