Quantcast

expensive hobbies...

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I cant look at any more of this thread, but if it's been mentioned, it hasn't been mentioned enough.

GIRLS--for the love of God, I know we are a bunch of nerds but seriously, get some daylight and find a good looking girl...they can be expensive, time consuming, but oh so fun.

Other than that my expensive hobbies include
Breaking myself-yes, it's expensive to break bones, get surgery
Skiing-the equipment isn't that expensive and hel!, the pass aint that bad either, but gas=$$$$ if you live on the Front Range...
Sitting on my computer while broken-sure it may seem not to cost anything, but the oppertunity cost is HUGE...think about all the other stuff I could be doing

God, I would LOVE it if RM banned me, so I couldn't even look at this sight...PLEASE BAN ME RM...I"M BEGGING YOU

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
Yeah, you can get a sampler, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

And let's face it: it's just not the same.

Lately my biggest money pit is new oddball indie hip hop. Coin to say the least. I've got albums that fetch $200+ and singles that demand $200+

I try not to buy stuff when it's that hot, but I seem to end up with some regardless. I guess that's why they call vinyl "black crack"

p6

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
it depends what expensive is. but i think wakeboarding is kinda expensive. and paintball gets pricy. but downhilling is by far the most expensive thing i do.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
prophet6, i heard that refineries will stop making a vital component needed to make vinyl records in the next few years....so those cd comps may be yr only choice.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
I play hockey, but keep it cheap, just in it for the fun now, I usually go through 2 wooden sticks a season, HS hockey is cheap, i dont buy pads often, unless it is really needed.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Other than biking I just ski. Skiing isn't that expensive despite what everyone says. For example at the local mountain you can buy a mid week pass early season for 200 to 250 which is about 5 to 6 days. Some guys go 20,30, even 40 times in a season on those passes, thats cheap when you do the math. And skis and gear isn't as bad a biking.

Rally caring is expensive. I want to do that, but I'm not a huge fan of working on cars and even if I was its expensive to have a cheap car.

Any Kite Boarders out there? That looks fun, curious on the cost too.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Well, my mom and sister do horses. That's hella expensive.

Horse food
Horse barn
Horse land
Horse vet
Horse medicine
Horse shoes
Horse blankets
Labor to care/feed horses
Rider clothing/equipment
blah blah blah

New thread idea:
How much do you spend per mile on the bike??
On my newest, about $3.00
On my DH... $2.00
I say this including helmets/clothes/ferry tickets/ parts/ etc.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
k9handler said:
Brian I have a bunch of resources for you to help with the search if you like. PM for details.
Thanks, I may take you up on it. I haven't told the wife I want to buy one:eek: We're looking to buy a new house within the next few months so it will be after that.

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Tully said:
Whenever I whine about how expensive my music stuff is, I remember my violinist friend, who is about to spend potentially $50,000 or more for a new violin. :eek:

By the way, good luck with your all-state audition--if you haven't gone before, it's a lot of fun. Last year, we got the instrumental music director from Florida State University; he was awesome. And out of curiosity, with what group are you going to Carnegie Hall? Good luck with that, too.

Yeah, i've gone to state for the last three years. i just got back from the audition and i played pretty well, could have been better, but i'm pretty sure that i've made it again...we shall find out soon.

I'm going to Carnegie Hall with A.C. Reynolds HS band. it's the carnegie high school band competition thingy where they choose 14 of the best bands in the country and let them compete on stage. should be an interesting trip, even though it takes up most all of our spring break... :rolleyes:

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
the Inbred said:
InsaneP2Rider, as a freshman in high school, why aren't you using the school's instruments?
Our school band program has been really poor for the last...well...since forever. The county finally built us a band room that didn't look like a hole in the wall and a place to perform and we just moved in last fall. Our school horns are crap, because the people that use them don't actually own them, so they mistreat them. My parents first bought me my own horn after i had made district in 6th grade so that i wouldn't have to go to the clinic with a horn that looked like it had gotten run over by a bus (complete with some halfway crushed tubes, and a hole in the bell).

dvasis

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
out hunting hippies
$50,000 for a violin, thats nuthin, there is a guy i know who just bought e classis stratavarious (probly spelled wrong) violin. It ran him well into the millions. The best part is that it is his second one!!! aaaaaah.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
dvasis said:
$50,000 for a violin, thats nuthin, there is a guy i know who just bought e classis stratavarious (probly spelled wrong) violin. It ran him well into the millions. The best part is that it is his second one!!! aaaaaah.
I didn't know you could actually purchase a Stradivarius. This may sound a little ridiculous, but I thought they were owned by the Italian government, and were sort of loaned out. My friend told me that $35,000 is the bare minimum for a violin for a serious college student, and that he'll probably end up playing something worth at least several 100k. I just can't fathom owning something like that.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
InsaneP2Rider said:
I'm going to Carnegie Hall with A.C. Reynolds HS band. it's the carnegie high school band competition thingy where they choose 14 of the best bands in the country and let them compete on stage. should be an interesting trip, even though it takes up most all of our spring break.
Sounds like fun. Our wind ensemble went to a similar contest in Florida last Spring Break, but I wasn't able to go for a few reasons.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
San francisco
Victoria

and this year

WHISTLER
no joke our band is going to whistler april 30, I'm bringing my bike!!

(pun)

Except we are not allowed to compete 'cos we have one Jehova's witness.
Hows that for discrimination??

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
the Inbred said:
musicians, like cyclists, are amusing. "i need the best" when what you really need to do is perfect your technique on what you have, then drop the coin on instruments that are worth more than a used car.
Virtually no one "needs the best" in high school. However, there does get to be a point at which your equipment holds you back. For example, when playing flute, I have to alter my technique (which is very awkward) to make some things sound like they should. I am definitely at the point where I need to buy a flute in the $7000 range, but toward the end of college it will be the time for a $15,000 instrument, so I might as well get it now and save $8000. And for saxophones, I double on sax, so it's already hard enough for me, and a nice horn (which I don't have right now) makes it as easy as possible. These expenses are anything but frivolous. They are, however, the reason why I can't afford "the best" bike stuff, but that's OK.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
ioscope said:
San francisco
Victoria

and this year

WHISTLER
no joke our band is going to whistler april 30, I'm bringing my bike!!

(pun)

Except we are not allowed to compete 'cos we have one Jehova's witness.
Hows that for discrimination??
Compete in what? Is it some sort of battle-of-the-bands that banned JW's? :confused:

B

bigkonarider

bullcrew said:
Off road racing! caused 1 divorce and 1 to hate it.
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/features/march2000/index.html
I'll post some pics of it done. $50k into it when finished only to break it every month on purpose.
-- Dam Travis, that TOY is one of a kind !

I had a 92 x-tra cab Toy 4x4 Showtruck when in MIAMI called "Ultimate". Met lot's of VERY cool friends with it. Nikki Taylor was a regular weekend pal until she got labeled supermodel, & then was never in town, & the list goes on...!!
Put on my own 4" trailmaster lift--3" BODI--Shackles & cranked tortions.
Had 35"x 18.5" Mickey thompsons on 15 x 14 ALCOA rims.
Tilt bed & a killer sound system/ Sunroof/ + painted everything gloss black underneath ! Ivan Stewert ..That's cool ! :)

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
the Inbred said:
musicians, like cyclists, are amusing. "i need the best" when what you really need to do is perfect your technique on what you have,

I don't have enough money to spend on the best. Mid level stuff is just fine for me :)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
InsaneP2Rider said:
Our school band program has been really poor for the last...well...since forever. The county finally built us a band room that didn't look like a hole in the wall and a place to perform and we just moved in last fall.
ugh, nevermind. that's awful. my high school band budget was pretty weak while i was there. we were set up to get a new line of baritones, but the school cut the budget at the last minute. through my high school years, and the years following that i helped, the only new line of instruments the band got were a complete new set of Yamaha marching snares, tenors, and bases. the band won the State marching competition in the late 70s, so the district decided to give money to renovate band facilities at that time. so basically, the band hall was 20yrs old when i finally got in it. it was kept up, though. the horns lended to students (typically just the french horns, and tubas) were descently maintained. and if you screwed one up, you had to pay to fix it.

we went to some "national" competition in Florida, Disney Land...Magic Music Days, or something like that. god damn. one of the most fun trips i've been on. being that far away from home with really no supervision. score.

Tully - what do you mean alter your technique? like change fingerings, adjust embouchure, roll in/out? i never learned to play flute. just clarinet, sax, and baritone.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
the Inbred said:
it was kept up, though. the horns lended to students (typically just the french horns, and tubas) were descently maintained. and if you screwed one up, you had to pay to fix it.

we went to some "national" competition in Florida, Disney Land...Magic Music Days, or something like that. god damn. one of the most fun trips i've been on. being that far away from home with really no supervision. score.

Tully - what do you mean alter your technique? like change fingerings, adjust embouchure, roll in/out? i never learned to play flute. just clarinet, sax, and baritone.
Our instruments are pretty crappy too, although we have nice low clarinets. BTW, the Magic Music Days trip is the same one I wasn't able to go on.

By alter my technique, I mean use alternate fingerings sometimes, but mostly change my embouchure a lot and roll in/out way more than I should have to. It's mostly for intonation, because my current flute gets incredibly sharp on high notes, more so than any nice flute I've played. Also, some tones have really dull, stuffy tone that shouldn't be so. Plus, the action is too firm (nicer flutes have nicer springs and better mechanical design), and it does not remain very well-adjusted. You always have to do some of that, but it's to the point where it distracts me from the music itself. On sax, it took me a long time to adjust to such a comparatively round embouchure, compared to the smile-like flute embouchure. I sure enjoy playing it, though. You said you had a Super Balanced Action, right? :drool: Do you still play?

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
How about Golf? Decent clubs will cost a couple grand. The Mercedes that you drive to the course has to be at least 80k. Club membership.. I don't know 300K/yr - 1mil/yr not including green fees 300-500. Thats got to be up there. I know Ill get slaughtered for this one. The local muni works for me.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
kicknitLivE said:
The local muni works for me.
Yeah, my clubs are too small now, and I don't feel it's worth my money to buy new ones, but I used to play at a local 9-hole course for $10 per round (cheapest non-par 3 I could find), and it has lots of dead grass and stuff, but whatever. It was pretty fun, and plenty challenging even for someone at my ridiculously high skill level.

I actually did get to play one around at a really nice course, but it was too hard.

CunningStunt

Chimp
Mar 9, 2005
Orange County, CA
Snowboarding-gear and lift ticket hookups through Sport Chalet.
Biking-Sport Chalet
1946 Old's Super cornet. $75.00 Thrift store
1955 Conn Connstellation cornet $75.00 thrift store

Trumpets are way more cost effective unless you run Dave Monette stuff.
Entry level pro horn-$1500 Bach or Yamaha to be modified later.
Mid level pro horn-$2000 Schilke, Kanstul, Conn Vintage One
High end Pro Horn $3000 Wild Thing, Blackburn, Marcinkiewicz, Callet, Lawler, Calicchio etc.

Trumpet players are like cyclists, the difference in pro gear can be very small but big in price, and there are plenty of people who buy it who don't need it. You can sell a trumpet player anything if you say it makes you play higher or faster.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
CunningStunt said:
Trumpets are way more cost effective unless you run Dave Monette stuff.
cool. good to see a fellow trumpet player on the board :thumb: . uh, i run monette stuff btw (149XL for Bb, C973 for C)... :dead: i love it, tho.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I can only afford mountain biking. I choose it over ski racing, and it is a much better way to blow 2g's ever season.!!! :thumb:

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
clancy98 said:
shooting? nobody shoots here? expensive. guns and bullets, guns and bullets.
Yeah that costs a little then I have 2 other bullit burners ,then we fish hunt

Here`s the nmost expencive hobby strippers those dam whoares cost too much but they are way fun to ride ;) ;) ;) ;)

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Holy crap three Les Pauls!!!!

What are your guys opinions on PRS guitars.... I have an American Strat and would love to find a single cut PRS.....

Ian F said:
Guitars are diffinetely an expensive hobby... granted, my stuff is paid for and I nothing new really makes me want to pull out the c-card... not that I really need to... 3 Gibson Les Pauls, 1 USA Strat, 1 Custom Shop Explorer, 1 ESP Horizon (old 80's US-made n/t model), 1 Ovation Classical, 1 Tacoma dreadnaught - all US-made stuff. Plus a few others... Not to mention amps... effects... etc... Most bought about 10 years ago when I couldn't pass a guitar and not buy it... pretty much, if you can name it, I've owned one... PRS... Ric's... Tele's... Strat (had more than one back then)... SG's... and a whole host of other oddities... I had a ton of recording equipment as well, but when I stopped using it I decided it was best to sell it before it became totally worthless... knowing that if/when I get back into it, I'll probably go digital.

Woodworking can suck away some serious cash for sure... go price some high quality chisels ($300+)... or a good table saw ($600 - $2000)...

As can buying tools to work on cars... Go to Snap-on.com and price some tools... granted, that's pro-stuff, but for some things, Craftsman just doesn't work quite well enough... I'll probably splurge for some Snap-on ratchets some time this year...

Pretty much, as soon as you add an engine into the mix, costs rise exponentially... that was actually what got me into mtn biking... back in 1990 I had a choice: mtn bike or MX bike... decided going with pedal-power would be cheaper... how was I to know I'd be spending many thousands some years later on a race bike for a version of the sport that barely existed back then (DH).

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
my dad got me the watches bug.
hes got quite a collection.

a 1998 rolex daytona steel white dial, a rolex daytona paul newman, an extremey rare steel rolex daytona made for the peruvian air force (the only factory engraved rolex´s in existance). a IWC portuguese perpetual calendar, a omega speedmaster Michael Schummacher edition, a gold-steel rolex submariner and an audemars royal oak black dial and a few others

someday theyll be mine!!!!!!
Well, this was almost 15 years ago, and that day came. I was 21 years old at the time.

My dad passed away a couple years ago, so I got a few of them, others were sold somewhere along those years.
It was pretty stupid to long for the day I´d own them.

Last edited: