Quantcast

Flat pedal shoes

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
And I can't count a single time that I have hit my ankle on the crank and wished for a high top, plus they take too long to put on and are hot.
I'd ideally like some Aescents with the S1 sole of the Impact, for XC these were golden, so much cooler than an Impact and the soles seemed to longer than the almost identical Freeride.
View attachment 149412
These have been my goto shoe for wearing at the bike shop, super comfy but I found the Leatt's to have better grip.
I don't rate them at all as a bike shoe, nowhere near the grip of an Impact and way to flexy/thin (great for their intended purpose as a climber's approach shoe).

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Although I now have to get other shoes for work as like Aussie, Adidas have done the dick move and have blocked NZ shops from stocking 5Ten's.
#fuckingAdidas
Seems dumb...

I definitely want to try something different from my Freerider Pro's and OneUp pedals next time I need to change. I need a stiffer sole or larger pedal platform as on sustained long descents I get discomfort with my size 13's.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Although I now have to get other shoes for work as like Aussie, Adidas have done the dick move and have blocked NZ shops from stocking 5Ten's.
#fuckingAdidas
What’s the logic there?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Fwiw I'm using scg shoes for BMX and tried them on the dh bike as well. Not in the wet for now, but so far grip is excellent, Better pedal feel and they feel nicer to wear than og freeriders. Well made and priced too imo

Freeriders seem to have gotten a bit of a quality boost than my last pair but the sizing is narrower and they are more stiffer. Mixed on them tbh

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
:rofl:

But they have slip on MTB shoes.
TBH, with every single pair of impacts i've ever owned, i tied them once and pulled them on thereafter.

quick review of new impact pros after a few rides: feel lighter on feet than old impacts. sole felt like it had a "hinge" at the ball of my foot just walking around, and had me initially thinking it would feel too thin, like the old freeriders. but upon riding, grip was good, sole/pedal feel was good, and foot support felt good as well. time will tell about durability, but things seem good thus far.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
SCgs not the best with moisture. Still going to be my first choice for dry dusty days and as an all day shoe I love them. But any sort of wet and fiveten is better

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Fwiw I'm using scg shoes for BMX and tried them on the dh bike as well. Not in the wet for now, but so far grip is excellent, Better pedal feel and they feel nicer to wear than og freeriders. Well made and priced too imo

Freeriders seem to have gotten a bit of a quality boost than my last pair but the sizing is narrower and they are more stiffer. Mixed on them tbh
Sweet, I'm gonna have to get a pair of them, decent price, quality looks great and they aren't made in China.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
impact pro update: still quite like them. two things i noticed. the tongue is much less padded than other impacts, which is fine but i did notice them rubbing on the top of my feet a few times today. not really a problem, and maybe they'll soften up. also, if you need arch support, you'll need insoles. not much to be had. otherwise, all good.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Watching this thread with some interest as I'm due for new 510s.
One thing I've found consistent since their release is that every other attempt at making a downhill flat pedal shoe always ends in something that has abysmal grip compared to the five ten. Pretty funny that pinkbike did a shoe shootout without them.

Something worth noting is that all stealth rubber soles decrease in grip after a year or three, even if they're not visibly worn or deteriorating - so it's a bit hard to compare your old ones to new ones unless you have fresh examples of both.

TBH, with every single pair of impacts i've ever owned, i tied them once and pulled them on thereafter.
I thought it was just me. Double knot hidden to the side, superglue so it never comes undone and snip the laces off entirely.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I thought it was just me. Double knot hidden to the side, superglue so it never comes undone and snip the laces off entirely.
Same here. Though the rears of my new 5.10s are a bit worn because of that.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Soooo...after more than a decade, someone finally made a shoe that seems to be as good as a freerider pro, albeit 30g heavier and not really tested for durability? and with a less reinforced toe box? granted, it's a bit cheaper, but 5.10 always has a sale going on. as for aesthetics, they look equally as heinous, if not more so. that's a hard pass from me.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife went through at least 3 pairs of the original 2FO's as the sole just got chewed up too quickly by the pedal pins. I wonder if they've fixed the durability.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
5.Das just needs to make a synthetic Samba with the real 5.10 sticky rubber (not the casual wear, non-marking BS), and they'd sell 10 zillion of them. Game over.

They could do 2 versions: one hella stiff sole for DH, and one mid-stiff like the Freerider Pros.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
toe box protection is key though. i just destroyed the tips of two of my toes wrecking on a wet wooden bridge the other week because i was wearing my old freeriders for some reason and not either of my pairs of impacts.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I agree, but the Freerider Pro toe box protection is good enough for me. I've had plenty of 4" babyheads bounce off them at speed.
Impact Pro armoring seems slightly overkill, on top of being giant, heavy, wide, etc. I ride both models though.

I bet they could beef up the Samba silhouette without going full orthopedic style.

toe box protection is key though. i just destroyed the tips of two of my toes wrecking on a wet wooden bridge the other week because i was wearing my old freeriders for some reason and not either of my pairs of impacts.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I like my Shimano GR9s. But I have been on SPDs for the last 10 years and am goofing around on flats only now and then.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
5.Das just needs to make a synthetic Samba with the real 5.10 sticky rubber (not the casual wear, non-marking BS), and they'd sell 10 zillion of them. Game over.
BITD Tim Ponting (Team Animal UK) used to race World Cups and World Champs in actual Sambas