Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
:stupid:

I also have the Avid Pro bleed kit.
I have used it for years with both DOT and Mineral oil with the original o-rings.
No problems ( just jinxed myself didn't I :disgust:)

Just remember to clean thoroughly after every use.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I reckon I'll just go with my newest pair of T1's and try the Cura's at some point. Pinkbike just posted a review of the Cura's and that quick release hose system looks pretty sweet(new bike has fully internal routing for the rear brake). Good to know about the orings, thanks for that. Got a link to the knockoff kit you bought? Did you bother replacing the orings in that or will a thorough flush after each use be sufficient for a while?
I swap the o-rings when i bleed a brake with different fluids yeah, it only takes 10 seconds to swap one (only really need to do plunger) and o-rings are cheap.

I've been using my kit for 4 years now so I'm not sure if it's changed, but select the most expensive option here ($30us), should be the right one. Don't get the cheap ones, the good one has 2-piece threaded fittings for the hose on both ends (alloy at syringe, stainless at tip) which is awesome. Little hint, I put a drop of blue loctite on the metal threads between the plunger handle and shaft to stop it coming loose in regular use (there's a metal insert in the handle too!).

That's the mineral oil version, if you search you can usually find the DOT also, they just change all the o-rings I believe.

For anyone wondering, Trickstuff use the same system and bleed attachments as Formula.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm smitten for the ice-techs, they really do seem to give some significant resistance to fade/overheating. I think some of that technology is pushing the boundaries.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Maybe udi ran a taste test. The fact that I've been using them with shimano calipers with no ill effects makes me think you could conversely run shimano oil instead which thereby suggests they are interchangeable.

#deepscience
Thanks.
I've been holding off on trimming these brake lines until I can get the right threaded bleed nipple thingamajig. Figures I should have some fluid on hand too. Tons of shimano red stuff in the garage.
Yesterday's ride was the first time I've felt critical of these Cura vs Saints. Not sure if the lever shape, or the throw/feel, or a combo. Or maybe I brake too much. Anyone's guess really ....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't like the levers either. I mostly don't like the fact that you can't adjust them close to the bar. I pulled they lever off the assembly and bent one set back in a vice which definitely made it better. But yeah....shimano levers.

You can use an avid fitting I'm pretty sure. If you can't find those I have some extra formula ones I could mail you.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
25.31%

If one only considers the effect of the additional caliper area.

In the real world, I will leave it to the real boffins.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Does anyone have the MC piston diameter for the Cura and Cura4?

Because the important thing is the ratio between master and slave, having over 9000mm pistons at the caliper means nothing if you also have over 9000mm at the lever.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Took them 3 years to develop those rotors? Just looks like shit stamped out of steel.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
18mm is the slave piston.

He's asking for the MC piston in the lever.

I've got four of the things sitting at my house doing nothing. I'll pull one apart. It just hasn't been of burning urgency to me because I have good working brakes and don't really care where the leverage is of something I have no plans of using. But I'll do for you guys. Because you deserve it.

in september

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Thanks.
I've been holding off on trimming these brake lines until I can get the right threaded bleed nipple thingamajig. Figures I should have some fluid on hand too. Tons of shimano red stuff in the garage.
Yesterday's ride was the first time I've felt critical of these Cura vs Saints. Not sure if the lever shape, or the throw/feel, or a combo. Or maybe I brake too much. Anyone's guess really ....
Generic bleed kit in hand, I trimmed the lines and bled for the first time.
Brakes perform better and FEEL better after the bleed. I think Formula overfill them from the factory. They're dialed now.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Watch out. I've tried to order the $30 kit from that seller and he just sent me a picture of one of the lesser kits with a question "How about this one?".
Sounds like the 100 lurkers who saw my link beat you to the punch.
There's a bunch of other kits the same on alix if you search (I think EZ bleed), bit of a gamble but I find if there's high star ratings and some user reviews they're usually safe. Don't blame me if it sucks.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Sounds like the 100 lurkers who saw my link beat you to the punch.
There's a bunch of other kits the same on alix if you search (I think EZ bleed), bit of a gamble but I find if there's high star ratings and some user reviews they're usually safe. Don't blame me if it sucks.
The link I posted above in my question to you are EZ bleed and costs around $23 (PHP 1,200) but can be had for less from the same site. I might give it a try.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
By all means - I just figured using alix was scary enough for most people, your site looked so dodgy that I closed it within seconds of clicking (and no pics loading, my adblocker seemed to disapprove).

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
By all means - I just figured using alix was scary enough for most people, your site looked so dodgy that I closed it within seconds of clicking (and no pics loading, my adblocker seemed to disapprove).
Hahaha. Everyone and their mother uses lazada in this country because they also have a cash on delivery option and a lot of people don't like using credit cards. Sorry if I gave you a scare.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Udi is having a hard time now since a guy rode down his local tracks on a BMX... :cray:
Everything he knew about wheelsize, disc brakes, suspensions, geometries and so on is gone. :shout:
Get well soon @Udi ! :wave:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Ahhhh, the "Avid squeal". I was unaware that Avid made bmx rim brakes!

I thought Avid/Sram patented that sound like Harley patented theirs?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
@Sandwich don't get those, good thing you asked actually. They expand under lever pressure and quite hard to get a firm bleed (even though they claim they're stiffer, they're not). Just get any normal black hose - Formula, or any Avid/SRAM with the same fittings - most Juicy ones work.

@Happymtb.fr It's my friend, he's (much) faster on a DH bike. ;)