Quantcast

Gran Turismo 4 road challenge...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
are you fvking kidding me??? 1.22.850

I have 434 hp and can only get a 1.26.673 :rant:
I like the way Toshi thinks...I think once you hit 400hp in the RX you are topped for the course with the tranny setup well. I may downgrade my turbo and invest the excess somewhere else.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I don't doubt Toshi's on the level but maybe he found a car that just cooks it. I want to know more about which car and what mods......D
I think that is the same time that he got on the challenge with the BMW a while back. My time was a tenth behind and i did sense alot of sarcasim.

My car setup went as follows:
RX-7 bought in the used car section.
stage 2 turbo
full custom tranny
racing med. tires
semi racing suspension
any other drivetrain mods i could afford
came to just under the $ limit with 435hp

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I think that is the same time that he got on the challenge with the BMW a while back. My time was a tenth behind and i did sense alot of sarcasim.

stage 2 turbo
full custom tranny
racing med. tires
semi racing suspension
I had a similar set up:
used RX7 Type RZ
racing suspension
stage 2 weight reduction
racing med tires
stage 2 turbo
spolier
oil change
port and polish
racing chip
racing intercooler
racing flywheel
carbon drivshaft
1.5 way LSD
$98,117@ 434hp

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I only got a couple runs in and my best was 1:38 and change. I only did a coulple runs though with an RX7.

I plan to put some more time in on the next challange though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

stage 2 turbo
full custom tranny
racing med. tires
semi racing suspension
I had a similar set up:
used RX7 Type RZ
racing suspension
stage 2 weight reduction
racing med tires
stage 2 turbo
spolier
oil change
port and polish
racing chip
racing intercooler
racing flywheel
carbon drivshaft
1.5 way LSD
$98,117@ 434hp

you guys spent your money on the wrong things, imo. the important bits were the wing, super soft tires, stage 2 turbo, and nitrous. the tires and nitrous were both KEY. i didn't see anything in the rules prohibiting it...

Mazda RX-7 Type RS-R (FD) '97
oil change
wing
exhaust semi-racing
racing super soft tires
suspension sports
turbo stage 2
intercooler sports
weight reduction stage 1
racing chip
nitrous (set to minimum duration/maximum intensity)
twin plate clutch

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
D, which cars are outlawed by the "no 427s" rule for this challenge?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I had nearly the identical setup Toshi had, except no wing, soft tires, and a close ratio tranny. Nitrous made a huge difference in lap times. Didn't really have time to push the setup and try to get a decent time, though :(

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Mazda RX-7 Type RS-R (FD) '97
oil change
wing
exhaust semi-racing
racing super soft tires
suspension sports
turbo stage 2
intercooler sports
weight reduction stage 1
racing chip
nitrous (set to minimum duration/maximum intensity)
twin plate clutch
Good setup, I forgot about the nitrous because every challenge up to this point was no nitrous.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Isn't the 427 the massive American engine used in some of the muscle cars?
Erf, realized what it was when I was searching for a car to use aside from my beastly Chevelle. It's the AC (rhd version) 427 and the Shelby Cobra 427...Makes sense, as that will kill anything else from that era.

I found a car to use. I am naming it the Opfermeister because of the sheer amount of its awesomeness. No one shall stand!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Good setup, I forgot about the nitrous because every challenge up to this point was no nitrous.
yeah that's my fault I forgot to add "no NOS"...but I have modified the race page now. So unless it says NOS is ok all races are no NOS now...D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nice set up Toshi...I think what did me was the tires and no nitrous...D
it was a quick setup, but such a bear to drive with all that pitch and roll. trying to not upset the chassis in turns, a skill that i recently was made very aware of in a track day in my own, real car :D , was crucial to not breaking loose at every corner.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
it was a quick setup, but such a bear to drive with all that pitch and roll. trying to not upset the chassis in turns, a skill that i recently was made very aware of in a track day in my own, real car :D , was crucial to not breaking loose at every corner.
Latest footage of your most recent effort Toshi. Disgraceful.

BTW- that's me crossing the road. Thanks mate, ya broke my French press.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So what kind of times you running?
i just logged a 1'22.787" with a bobble or three in there... car choice will remain a closely held secret unless someone else lets the cat out of the bag :D . and yes, this is without nitrous, heh

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So what kind of times you running?
I nailed down a very imperfect 1:23.something last night.

This car surprisingly drives very well...I don't know what Toshi is whining about, so long as you don't run over any curbing you're golden.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
so how is the RX8 holding up? Do you miss your Subie?...D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so how is the RX8 holding up? Do you miss your Subie?...D
the rx-8 has had a lot of warranty work done on it, but it's been a much better car than the subaru was. not nearly as fast, but much more driveable both on and off the track.

and D, where's my recognition for the win in the first post? :D

current time for seattle reverse, 1'21.027". i tried out a bunch of different cars to see if any were better, and didn't find a winner in the bunch. i really wanted the Dome Zero to be the one, since it's so hard to get. ;)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I can't seem to break the 1:23 threshold...

1:23.058 in the deathwagen.

I haven't found a car comparable to this one from the era, aside from the Dome...which I don't have. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
to get the Dome Zero you just need to get all golds on the international A license tests. simple as that. :D

(truth be told it's 10 seconds off the pace compared to the hulking american iron i'm using at the moment.)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
to get the Dome Zero you just need to get all golds on the international A license tests. simple as that. :D

(truth be told it's 10 seconds off the pace compared to the hulking american iron i'm using at the moment.)
Hulking American iorn is what does the trick...though my "hulk" doesn't weigh much right now...1150kg or so :D Drives fairly well, needs a wing though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hulking American iorn is what does the trick...though my "hulk" doesn't weigh much right now...1150kg or so :D Drives fairly well, needs a wing though.
but it's a model that can't accept a wing, right? :clue: i tried a few other, more normal american cars that accept wings but the power:weight ratio advantage of my chosen rig was too much to overcome -- seattle has a couple of long straights. 180 mph, woot!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hmm, with the proper driver maybe there's another few seconds in my chosen car. but i've given this particular challenge all i care to give. i concede, heh