Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Trying out photo mode during the replays... I took this a few days ago but finally got it out onto the interwebz through the "GT5 My Home" feature (Photo Gallery-->Share with Friends or somesuch).

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
DFGT is definitely worth picking up, and adds a lot to the game. I have mine hooked up to a wheelstand pro ( http://www.wheelstandpro.us/servlet/the-Wheel-Stands/Categories ). It's nice cause you can fold it up and put it away, since I don't have the room for a whole seat setup.

Anyone else unlock the X2010 challenge yet? It's like taking a handful of speed and getting in an F1 car. So far I've gotten bronze on Nurburg GP and Monza, gonna give Suzuka a try tonight. I already had the X2010 from trading, so I had some time to get used to it first.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Ok guys, talking about wheels...
Lets see your set ups!
Ill start with my old set up from when I used to live in Belgium. This is actually GT5 Prologue playing but it will have to do.

Just curious how inventive you guys are with your set ups :D

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
DFGT is definitely worth picking up, and adds a lot to the game. I have mine hooked up to a wheelstand pro ( http://www.wheelstandpro.us/servlet/the-Wheel-Stands/Categories ). It's nice cause you can fold it up and put it away, since I don't have the room for a whole seat setup.
Yeah, I picked up the GFGT last night and I love it!

and I plan on making something similar to that stand. I just can't justify spending $150+ on a stand that I can make for ~$20. Looks like a nice setup though.

Ok guys, talking about wheels...
Lets see your set ups!
Ill start with my old set up from when I used to live in Belgium. This is actually GT5 Prologue playing but it will have to do.
This is how I was running last night. Well, the chair didn't hold so I changed it out for the ironing board. I really need a new stand...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm finally at the grinding stage at A-spec 26, B-spec 18. I am lacking a historic racecar (How do I get that Toyota?) and a DTM touring car. Gah.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
any of you kind souls care to gift me a truck? I've been looking for one since before I unlocked the amateur events and still have yet to see one. Promise I'll gift it back in good condition haha.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you get it after winning "in the wind"
Ah, "Like the Wind" in B-Spec? I haven't unlocked that event yet, methinks, but I do have an Audi R8 race car and the Minolta to choose from once I do.
any of you kind souls care to gift me a truck? I've been looking for one since before I unlocked the amateur events and still have yet to see one. Promise I'll gift it back in good condition haha.
What's your PSN handle? I can send you the SSR that my dude finally learned how to drive if you want. Won't be for a few days, however, as I have two days of gifting already planned out (in exchange for someone giving me an elusive DTM car).

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
So, anyone have any ideas for a portable homemade wheel stand? I need one badly but can't afford one that's already made...

I was looking at making something like this:

It's mostly 2x2 aluminum but I can't think of how it was put together (if not welded). I don't have a welder so how could I put something like this together? Pop rivet?

I was also thinking of going the wood route:

I did a cheap stand with some 2x4's and plywood. Four vertical posts with 2x4's, sheet of plywood on the top, tie the left side and right side together with another 2x4 along the bottom. Does the job, took all of a half hour to put together and cost me nothing (I had scraps lying around).
but I wanted something a little more classy than a wooden box-frame sitting in my living room...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wood + paint. Or PVC. I was just talking to my wife about building one myself…

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I got a small MIG welder last summer... I'm planning to weld up a stand of some sort this spring. At the moment it's clamped to a table and takes up half the living room :D Good thing roomie is a car geek too.

On an unrelated note, I'm determined to beat the GTR seasonal race with my R34 spec Nur, but am having trouble getting anything past 3rd place... 2nd is within my grasp I think, but that Fort GT is consistently 17 seconds ahead of me. Anyone have any suspension tuning tips that may give me an extra edge? I'm pretty much maxed out on weight and power. Maybe I just need to cave and get an R35...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Get an R35 V-Spec and call it a day. Still not easy but doable with that car.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Well, managed to place 2nd in my R34 but am still 15 seconds off the pace. Good thing that race pays good money -- Now I can afford the R35.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Get an R35 V-Spec and call it a day. Still not easy but doable with that car.
i won two of those. one has 880hp and the other is near stock in terms of HP. thankfully i kept it near stock since it's needed in a race later on.

the pimped out R35 made easy work of everyone

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Unless it's a single model series for B-Spec I try to keep my cars as close to stock as possible. They feel more similar once you change the gearbox, suspension, lighten everything. I like that they have their own personalities ("heavy pig!" "mmm, smooth", etc.) when in stock form, even if slower in absolute terms.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ABS to 1 and Skid Recovery Force to on turned the second two Loeb challenges into fairly straightforward affairs. I'd been able to gold the first one and squeak by with a bronze on Eiger K Trail without any aids, but with the aids on I had nice, comfortable golds.

Similarly, turning the ABS all the way off made an amazing difference in the Jeff Gordon Challenges. I can has NASCARZ now.

Time to run the 'Ring in the NASCAR Seasonal Event…

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
When I get a wheel I'm probably going to try to fab something like this up minus the adjustable height.

Finally got my HDMI cable in yesterday, being able to read the menu is amazing. Tried playing it in 3D but there is horrible input lag and the effects were more distracting than immersing.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
ABS to 1 and Skid Recovery Force to on turned the second two Loeb challenges into fairly straightforward affairs. I'd been able to gold the first one and squeak by with a bronze on Eiger K Trail without any aids, but with the aids on I had nice, comfortable golds.

Similarly, turning the ABS all the way off made an amazing difference in the Jeff Gordon Challenges. I can has NASCARZ now.

Time to run the 'Ring in the NASCAR Seasonal Event…
SRF seems to be the easy win button in GT5. It will give you traction where there isn't any to be found. Golding the rally races is all about throttle control.

The NASCAR race @ the ring is fun as hell :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
SRF seems to be the easy win button in GT5. It will give you traction where there isn't any to be found. Golding the rally races is all about throttle control.

The NASCAR race @ the ring is fun as hell :thumb:
Yeah, it does seem to be rather unrealistic. Oh well, it got me the gold. I try not to use it normally as it makes cars feel kind of weird.

I agree that the NASCAR @ Nordschleife is awesome. I golded it, just barely. Caught the guy in the S bends after the long last straight on the second lap. :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Formula GT championship was intense! I found it mentally draining enough that I was making all sorts of errors come Suzuka. Even with withdrawing from that race I won the series thanks to 1sts in all the other races. Cote d'azur was a pain but rewarding. Fuji is just a pain.

Things that I found helped: AT and use of the roof/hood-cam view. The bumpercam is so low on the FGT as to make the track harder to read.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
The Formula GT championship was intense! I found it mentally draining enough that I was making all sorts of errors come Suzuka. Even with withdrawing from that race I won the series thanks to 1sts in all the other races. Cote d'azur was a pain but rewarding. Fuji is just a pain.

Things that I found helped: AT and use of the roof/hood-cam view. The bumpercam is so low on the FGT as to make the track harder to read.
I've done the FGT championship 3 times now, just cause I love driving that car. For the view, the only way I can win at Fuji is using the bumper cam for some reason, but then I always switch to the hood view for the rest of the tracks.

No assists, with some tweaks to the suspension. Also try setting the brake balance to 7/3. It really helps the back end stay stable when braking into the corners.

Hoping they come out with a seasonal event for the Ferrari F1 cars. They're not quite as fast as the FGT, but they handle much better.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I just bought the FGT and boy do I some practice with that thing. My main problem is over accelerating out of sharp turns and spinning out. I also was having problems spinning out if I downshift in the middle of turns. Too bad there isn't a qualifying/practice option before the races as a few warm up laps really helps my starts, especially in that car.

EDIT---> I'm also getting my ass kicked trying to gold the first of the grand tour challenges on Eiger Norwand. Anyone have any luck with this?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've done the FGT championship 3 times now, just cause I love driving that car. For the view, the only way I can win at Fuji is using the bumper cam for some reason, but then I always switch to the hood view for the rest of the tracks.

No assists, with some tweaks to the suspension. Also try setting the brake balance to 7/3. It really helps the back end stay stable when braking into the corners.

Hoping they come out with a seasonal event for the Ferrari F1 cars. They're not quite as fast as the FGT, but they handle much better.
I'll try that brake balance tweak. Car sure does like to get loose on braking as it is... I can't say that I love driving it. I like my Audi R8 race car much more. Although suspension of disbelief is weak in both of them, it's weaker by far in the FGT just because my brain expects mind-blowing G-forces in acceleration and cornering and experiences none.
I just bought the FGT and boy do I some practice with that thing. My main problem is over accelerating out of sharp turns and spinning out. I also was having problems spinning out if I downshift in the middle of turns. Too bad there isn't a qualifying/practice option before the races as a few warm up laps really helps my starts, especially in that car.

EDIT---> I'm also getting my ass kicked trying to gold the first of the grand tour challenges on Eiger Norwand. Anyone have any luck with this?
I can't gold that one. I've tried. I eked out a silver and that's as good as it's going to get, I'm afraid, as I simply don't know where I'm leaving 2 seconds on the track.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
The FGT really has to be driven different than any car in the game. One big key is not really using the brake that much. Throttle control, downshifting & using the brake effect of the engine is key. The only time you really lay on the brakes is at the end of a long straight.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Anyone else motivated to clean up their garage periodically? I got rid of most of my Standard cars, saving race cars, rally cars, and other ones with sentimental value. All the "normal" cars basically went out the door--if I'm going to drive a standard car I want it to be Premium with the dashboard and all.

I then used the proceeds from this sale (around 1M total) + the 10M I had just sitting around to go through the new-car dealership and buy just about all the Premium cars that I fancied.

It's nice being able to fulfill my adolescent dreams and revisit my youth, as it were, through the game. Orange McLaren F1? Yes, please. Black Z32 300ZX, just like I used to have? Park it right there in the garage. Type-R Civic and Integra pair in Championship White and that deep blue? Sounds good. An Enzo to round out my Ferrari collection (F40, 458, 512BB, California). Perfect. A red Evo X and a WRB Spec-C STI? They'll make nice decoration even if I don't end up driving them more than a few laps.

:)

I even like the non-driving aspects of this game… it truly is about the car world.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I now have something like 4 NASCAR racers from having won them in various series. Anyone need one, for the seasonal challenge or the A/B-spec series? Add me on PSN and send me a message requesting one if so. My PSN ID is shrubberyking

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i had to put the game away for a bit. i was getting a bit too burnt out playing it. i started playing the new Red Dead Redemption, but need my GT5 fix again.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
PSN - VWill

if ya don't know, now ya know.

Add me up. I'm thinking about starting a championship (BTCC, GT or Spec Miata) on another forum. Any interest in some weekly Spec racing?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
One thing that I've discovered is that B-Spec mode is a perfect distraction during winter trainer rides. Just enough to keep your mind somewhat occupied, but doesn't require involvement to the extent that you can't focus on your pedaling.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Anyone else motivated to clean up their garage periodically? I got rid of most of my Standard cars, saving race cars, rally cars, and other ones with sentimental value. All the "normal" cars basically went out the door--if I'm going to drive a standard car I want it to be Premium with the dashboard and all.

I then used the proceeds from this sale (around 1M total) + the 10M I had just sitting around to go through the new-car dealership and buy just about all the Premium cars that I fancied.

It's nice being able to fulfill my adolescent dreams and revisit my youth, as it were, through the game. Orange McLaren F1? Yes, please. Black Z32 300ZX, just like I used to have? Park it right there in the garage. Type-R Civic and Integra pair in Championship White and that deep blue? Sounds good. An Enzo to round out my Ferrari collection (F40, 458, 512BB, California). Perfect. A red Evo X and a WRB Spec-C STI? They'll make nice decoration even if I don't end up driving them more than a few laps.

:)

I even like the non-driving aspects of this game… it truly is about the car world.
Haven't cleaned up my garage, but need to get around to it. They give you a lot of useless cars for prizes, and I doubt I'll ever drive them.

I've been using the save back up glitch to buy 1 expensive car each day. Just back up your save, buy the car and put all parts that can be removed on it, then gift it to an alt account, and then gift it back to yourself after you reload your save. Then I get the car, and Im still left with the 16 mill that I earned from racing.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Would anyone be willing to trade me a fast MR drivetrain car for a fully tuned gallardo? I'm trying to win the MR series on the expert level and my Lotus just isnt fast enough. And I'm pretty low on funds. I guess if anyone has any suggestions for a good MR car for under about 200k that would work too

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Would anyone be willing to trade me a fast MR drivetrain car for a fully tuned gallardo? I'm trying to win the MR series on the expert level and my Lotus just isnt fast enough. And I'm pretty low on funds. I guess if anyone has any suggestions for a good MR car for under about 200k that would work too
i did it with a decked out Ferrari 458 Italia which is $280k though.
a Ford GT would work just as well too. its $148k and with $52k in mods you should be able to win easily

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I already have a tuned Gallardo but what I used for the MR Challenge was basically an F430 Scud street car. Street med tires (or race med. if you prefer), exhaust, intake, chip, semi-racing suspension, and stage 1 weight reduction. I'll trade you for something awesome or you can just borrow it if you'd like.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Anyone having any trouble with the latest seasonal races?:p
they were probably the easiest races of the whole game. i maxed out all my cars thinking the competition would be tough. it wasnt

i finally beat the RX7 seasonal race. i bought a car that was 12 years newer and it was cake.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I already have a tuned Gallardo but what I used for the MR Challenge was basically an F430 Scud street car. Street med tires (or race med. if you prefer), exhaust, intake, chip, semi-racing suspension, and stage 1 weight reduction. I'll trade you for something awesome or you can just borrow it if you'd like.
ended up pulling 3 wins out of nowhere with my lotus. That thing can corner like crazy for a rwd car.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Jeez they were way too easy. Already won the TTS and Ford GT one with the only power-adders being race exhaust/cat. Should have limited them to stock power.

EDIT: So what exactly does the race mod do? Any advantages over just fully tuning it other than only one click? Thinking about race-modding my elise for the challenge.

Last edited: