Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
hey Matt ...are you planning on having a demo in me-size any time soon? I mean, once you catch up on orders and clear the loading dock of all those canvas sacks of cash with the big $ on the side, of course.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
A or B would work, check out the chainstay length of each for your preference.

C obviously works fairly universally as well, but our margins are lower with that option, so don't go that route. :)
Thanks! I see some glitch in your new geo charts - they show the same BB H and HA for trail and gravity mode for the Doggo. Or are they the same now? I also thought I saw 429mm stays for the Smash before, now it's 434.

Any additional decision factors for Size 2 - Long offset and Size 3 - Short offset for someone 5'9" tall besides "All Around" and "Full Throttle"? What if my answer to those options is "Yes."? :D

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Thanks! I see some glitch in your new geo charts - they show the same BB H and HA for trail and gravity mode for the Doggo. Or are they the same now? I also thought I saw 429mm stays for the Smash before, now it's 434.

Any additional decision factors for Size 2 - Long offset and Size 3 - Short offset for someone 5'9" tall besides "All Around" and "Full Throttle"? What if my answer to those options is "Yes."? :D
Buy one so I can check it out while waiting for mongo size to become available.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO

We decided to keep the geo constant between Trail and Gravity Modes on the Shred Dogg, so it's not a typo. It seemed to make more sense for what most folks were looking for in a 130/140mm travel trail bike.

Megatrail and The Smash got longer chainstay lengths; this gives more choice for how the bike rides, as the shorter travel bikes have shorter chainstay lengths than before. Thus, there's an element of increasing chainstay length with frame size as well, since larger riders tend towards longer travel.

Will is about your same height, and prefers the Size 3, and his answer is "yes" to both of those.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I'm noticing some more little tweaks that are nice improvements. The rear shock hardware is narrower. No need to remove the hardware to slide coil spring off the shock.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm noticing some more little tweaks that are nice improvements. The rear shock hardware is narrower. No need to remove the hardware to slide coil spring off the shock.
Yes, in addition, the pivot axle pinch bolts were moved for easier wrench access, the pivot bearings changed from angular contact to normal radial groove with a spacer tube between the inner races. Before, the pivot axles had to carefully be tightened to set the bearing preload, then tighten the pinch bolts. Now, you crank the pivot axles very tight, tighten the pinch bolts and don't think about it again for a long time. The main pivot axle on the previous design tends to need adjusting periodically to prevent creaks whereas the new one stays creak free for much longer. All of our employee bikes have been running the new bearing design for the past year to verify the maintenance.
And, for Seatstay Tuning Kit swaps, we refined the mounting hardware and tolerances, aimed at making it as easy as possible for home mechanics to convert frames themselves.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Would somebody please spread rep for Mr @mtg for me? These guys at GG are the definition of a class act!!!

Full disclosure: I sincerely envy all of you north American folks who have the possibility of dealing with such a dedicated crew.
Done. I agree, very cool company.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Would somebody please spread rep for Mr @mtg for me? These guys at GG are the definition of a class act!!!

Full disclosure: I sincerely envy all of you north American folks who have the possibility of dealing with such a dedicated crew.
I'd be happy to buy a few frames, ride the piss out of one of them, and then come down to ride the andes and sell the frames for an insane mark up in order to fund the trip.

#heretohelp

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Bravo mtg, looks like an excellent set of frames!
Steep seat angles, great leverage curves (I presume anyway), solid geometry and reasonable weights, with the all important stab at bike pricing - which is getting absolutely insane from other brands these days.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The recent geo tweaks feel a bit like a shift towards mainstream to my untrained eye. No more sub-13" BB on the Doggo or the longer stays on the Smash give me minor sads. Any disclosures on updated leverage curves?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Pinkbike, Vital, mtbr, and The Loam Wolf were at the press camp in Texas. Mtbr just chose to call theirs a review, whereas the others used other descriptions.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Every time I see an mtbr link I’m amazed it still exists. I suppose it’s just a glorified forum. Will probably live on a long long time.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pinkbike, Vital, mtbr, and The Loam Wolf were at the press camp in Texas. Mtbr just chose to call theirs a review, whereas the others used other descriptions.
I'm sorry you had to go to Texas.

I'll be there twice in March.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
hey Matt ...are you planning on having a demo in me-size any time soon? I mean, once you catch up on orders and clear the loading dock of all those canvas sacks of cash with the big $ on the side, of course.
Size 3 demos are in the shop now. Several additional Size 3 demos on en route to the East Coast as well.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm sorry you had to go to Texas.

I'll be there twice in March.
The riding down there is actually pretty bitchin'. Spider Mountain and Thunderbird Lodge was really good, the vert is about 350', but what it lacks in quantity, is made up for in qualify. The bike park manager of Angel Fire is in charge down there, and the trails have a similar feel. If you're down near Austin in March, I would definitely try to hit up the trails there. Reveille Peak Ranch is a few miles away, which is a private ranch that has chunky/rocky riding, and if you get bored with that, apparently you can shoot RPG's from one ridge line to another. I'm not a gun enthusiast, but that looked fun AF.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
The riding down there is actually pretty bitchin'. Spider Mountain and Thunderbird Lodge was really good, the vert is about 350', but what it lacks in quantity, is made up for in qualify. The bike park manager of Angel Fire is in charge down there, and the trails have a similar feel. If you're down near Austin in March, I would definitely try to hit up the trails there. Reveille Peak Ranch is a few miles away, which is a private ranch that has chunky/rocky riding, and if you get bored with that, apparently you can shoot RPG's from one ridge line to another. I'm not a gun enthusiast, but that looked fun AF.
when you gonna come east to le pisgah proper and le back country pisgah? will you visit snowshoe for WC?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The recent geo tweaks feel a bit like a shift towards mainstream to my untrained eye. No more sub-13" BB on the Doggo or the longer stays on the Smash give me minor sads. Any disclosures on updated leverage curves?
Leverage curves didn't change much. I wouldn't say geo went more mainstream, it did get longer and slacker, but more of a tweak vs a large change. I think it's more of a case that geo that we've been using for 3 years has become more mainstream.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've ridden Austin, RPR, etc. It sucks in general IMO. Austin may be the best out of that, since you can ride fairly easily in the city and do it from many locations. Nothing too crazy, but some nice limestone chunky stuff. Ok, I take that back, there was one little section where this "slime" grows on the rocks and it's slicker than any shit I've ever tried to ride, like surprisingly seriously dangerous. The riding season tends to suck balls though, when it's hot, it's miserable hot. I'll do -10 for hours on end, but 100 and that humidity is just a beat-down with no escape but to shorten the ride.

Nice that there's trails in RPR, some tech stuff, some stuff like The Dells in Prescott, but you have to drive mile and miles to get there, and then pay, then it's this tiny little "ranch" that you are riding around in circles. Again, some riding is better than no riding, but Texas is mostly private land and no big-open public lands, except down South near El Paso. So you end up having to usually drive miles to ride. I've done it a bunch of times. There are places like RPR dotted around Texas, the shitty part is you have to drive hours to get to them. I know that they have an enduro race there, I was there when it went down. Comical the rigs that people showed up on, not that you couldn't use them, but to own those in Texas with the riding as sparse as it is was a bit funny. Then again, I was riding at Sansom Park (which I have re-named broken-glass Park) one day when a group of guys showed up on full DH bikes...lol

I'll probably stick to around Dallas in March, since that's where I'll be. Slight chance I might try to make it down to SA from Dallas, but there are a few places to ride around Dallas.

Riding in Texas for me is usually finding a way to ride my bike some while I'm on a work trip. I have plenty of time on these trips to ride, but the riding is so shitty and sparse across the midwest and Texas where we go that it's a struggle to do it, vs. where I go on vacations to ride and there's epic shit all over the place.

I do admire your bikes though, it's definitely what we need more of.

(I might have been peeing in the last picture)

15235631_10100973562679778_7357584987847335239_o.jpg
15220104_10100973563168798_1517358607498686566_n (1).jpg
15219407_10100973562804528_94173156782829945_n.jpg
15250852_10100973562959218_5213406333764820449_o.jpg

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Sea Otter: we probably won't have a booth ourselves, but there will probably be at least one supplier with GG frames there and probably at least one GG crew member around.

Hate mail: haven't seen any. There has been some interest already with contract manufacturing and general intrigue from inside and outside the bike industry. Although, we'll be pinned with production for quite awhile, so there are no short term plans for contract manufacturing.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Anyone ever use a 29er (160mm travel) front end on a Megatrail, or is it just a silly idea? I'm talking about the non-carbon version.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I’ve done that, with a 160mm 29er it will be taller and slacker than standard.
I thought it was a pretty cool setup, called the MegaSmash. The 29er rolls over things well up front, with more wheel travel and tire to butt clearance on steep terrain.