Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The pull for me to buy a size 4 rid egg smash for me and a size 3 for wifey is strong.

Admittedly we need to demo and given she lost her job with COVID doesn't help this issue of disposable income...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The pull for me to buy a size 4 rid egg smash for me and a size 3 for wifey is strong.

Admittedly we need to demo and given she lost her job with COVID doesn't help this issue of disposable income...
"disposable" implies non-essential items. Bikes is essenshul !

GG frames are bigly sized. I think @mtg is still running demos out of the factory during C19. I talked with a guy from SLC this past weekend on Ahab, he was on a Gnarvana and SO stoked.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
"disposal" implies non-essential items. Bikes is essenshul !

GG frames are bigly sized. I think @mtg is still running demos out of the factory during C19. I talked with a guy from SLC this past weekend on Ahab, he was on a Gnarvana and SO stoked.
Their size-o-meter has me somewhere between a 3long with 60mm stem or 4short and 32mm stem. Wife is 3short with 50mm or 3long with 40mm...

Trying to compare geo numbers to my current bikes is tough because I haven't ridden anything with a SA that steep for more than 50 yards, wife hasn't tried anything with new geo, so yeah, demos required.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Their size-o-meter has me somewhere between a 3long with 60mm stem or 4short and 32mm stem. Wife is 3short with 50mm or 3long with 40mm...

Trying to compare geo numbers to my current bikes is tough because I haven't ridden anything with a SA that steep for more than 50 yards, wife hasn't tried anything with new geo, so yeah, demos required.
IIRC you're a bit taller than me (I'm 6')? At your height I'd be inclined to go up to a size 4, though it does depend some on which specific model you're thinking, since the cockpit gets a bit smaller as you go to the longer travel/slacker options.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
IIRC you're a bit taller than me (I'm 6')? At your height I'd be inclined to go up to a size 4, though it does depend some on which specific model you're thinking, since the cockpit gets a bit smaller as you go to the longer travel/slacker options.
Yeah I'm 6'2" still I think with a 35" inseam and 6' 3.5" wingspan. Looking at smashing things.

Not sure I want to run a 60mm stem on the size 3 and don't want to go too short on the TT as I hate feeling cramped, current trail bike is 25.5" ETT.

I could just demo a single size 3 for both and see how it feels in both lengths for each of us.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah I'm 6'2" still I think with a 35" inseam and 6' 3.5" wingspan. Looking at smashing things.

Not sure I want to run a 60mm stem on the size 3 and don't want to go too short on the TT as I hate feeling cramped, current trail bike is 25.5" ETT.

I could just demo a single size 3 for both and see how it feels in both lengths for each of us.
Yeah, I'm pretty confident you want a size 4. I'm 6', 32" inseam, arm span... plus 2 maybe? I forget exactly. Size 3 long Smash with a 45mm stem fits me well but I feel like I'm not far from being ready to size up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

My experience with modern geometry is that the steeper seat angles make for deceptively short feeling top tubes. Having 2 bikes with similar measurements as a size 3 Smash at only 5'11" I would think you would definitely want a size 4.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
Yeah, I'm pretty confident you want a size 4. I'm 6', 32" inseam, arm span... plus 2 maybe? I forget exactly. Size 3 long Smash with a 45mm stem fits me well but I feel like I'm not far from being ready to size up.
I agree with HAB. I'm thoroughly enjoying my S4 Smash in the long setting with a 35mm long stem; 6'2" with a 35.5-36" inseam and 6'6" arm-span.

I keep meaning to try the shorter setting but have yet to give it a go.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO

We're running demos. And, if you can make the Little Brown's Creek ride in a few weeks, you can pedal around my Size 3 Gnarvana.

Edit: at 6'2", I'd go Size 4. I'm 5'11" and run a Size 3L with a 50mm stem for reference.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
welp, here is a 125mi and 25,000 vert check-in.

Super pumped to be on a GG after about 8 years of paying close attention. It is a confluence of a few things, including (to be super clear and transparent) helping GG as a contractor on a few projects.

I am 6'2'', 35" inseam, 6'4" wingspan. Running a Gnarvana size 4 in the long setting. I love it like that, but it took 1-2 rides of adjustment on flatter sections. Not because of reach (which feels dialed and only 15mm longer than my old bike), but because of wheelbase.

I measure it at 52.5" / 1330mm - about the same as an XL V10. Which is 3.5" longer than anything I have ever ridden and 4+" longer than other trail bikes I have owned. This extra length loves the fall line, but its also amazing how much better traction is in fast flat off-camber corners. So used to gingerly navigating with subtle movements, and now I can just ride blown out desert sketchy corners and not worry about it.

It did take me about 2-3 rides to get used to slow, wandering, tighter section of trails. The wheelbase is about 8% longer than my old bike. But an active pilot, driving the front rather than passively steering at its all good. Just calling it out. It is a bigger bike.

Loving the suspension. @mtg just nailed it. Pedals neutrally, and supportive and fast feeling. Really fun to point, then air into the roughest section of trail.

Anyhow, hope that helps anyone out there who might be debating on sizing, etc

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Any tips for optimizing bottle size for the lower mount on a size 2 frame? It looks like I'll need to use the lower mount with the size 2 and a coil shock. I know I can use a 20 oz bottle down there with a side load cage, but am wondering if there's any clever tricks that will allow me to use a 24 oz Podium (newer style). I've seen some photos where it looks like people use a washer or wedge at the forward bolt mount to get a bit of clearance from the downtube. I was planning on using a Zee cage if that matters - it seems to be both lower profile than a Lezyne and hold a Podium more securely.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Problem Solvers (QBP) makes a doohickey that can lower your bottle cage placement if there is room. I will post a pic.
He's talking about a wedge mount to raise the front of the bottle to avoid hitting the down tube bend.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Any tips for optimizing bottle size for the lower mount on a size 2 frame? It looks like I'll need to use the lower mount with the size 2 and a coil shock. I know I can use a 20 oz bottle down there with a side load cage, but am wondering if there's any clever tricks that will allow me to use a 24 oz Podium (newer style). I've seen some photos where it looks like people use a washer or wedge at the forward bolt mount to get a bit of clearance from the downtube. I was planning on using a Zee cage if that matters - it seems to be both lower profile than a Lezyne and hold a Podium more securely.
The Size 2 is pretty straight forward to get a bottle on the lower mount, use a low profile cage, a shorter bottle, and you might have to put a spacer under the cage. The Size 3 is the one that is trickier to get the lower bottle mount combo to work well (but plenty of people still do)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For others in case you'd not seen it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The Size 2 is pretty straight forward to get a bottle on the lower mount, use a low profile cage, a shorter bottle, and you might have to put a spacer under the cage. The Size 3 is the one that is trickier to get the lower bottle mount combo to work well (but plenty of people still do)
the spirit of enduro should not require such struggles

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
200mi and 40k+ update.

Since it took all of 5min to do, trying my Size 4 in the short position (6’2’’ tall). Interesting experiment.

Still loving the long wheel base (at about 1310mm now) for the trails out here, and kinda appreciate a little lighter touch required on the front end with the 490mm reach. A little quicker and easier to manual and Ollie little airs on trail.

In Long, the bike just loves to bring you into the fall line - generally in a good way (especially if racing), but if you are off your game,it’s a little more of a handful.

Likely to leave it here, in short, for a while. Stoked on the adjustability. Both have utility for me, and it’s amazingly easy to swap around.

With the suspension fully dialed and adjusted to my preference now, could not be more stoked on the bike.

For those in between sizes in terms of reach, I’d really look at the wheelbase to land the ride you want, and don’t get hung up on the reach number (only).

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I wonder if it's just related to the new RockShox 38mm fork?

It must be close to release as the Commie's up the road from GG blurred it out on their new Meta AM webpage today.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I wonder if it's just related to the new RockShox 38mm fork?

It must be close to release as the Commie's up the road from GG blurred it out on their new Meta AM webpage today.
The Pedalhead is conspicuously missing from the website right now...