Quantcast

Help with some burly hardtail pics...

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
i think...that things prob. a biotch to pedal uphill hehe :p KICKASS bike man!! any action shots?

A

Atomic

Originally posted by axel
that looks real nice....just im not into DH forks on HTs...priss- the fork is a risse trixxxy
Yep, it's even written on it :D! Really, looks cool, but in my book 5" is plenty for a HT...

MTNPSYCHO

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Peabody, Mass
I dont mean to offend any of you guys, but I am wondering what you ride with these things??? Its just the thought of using a huge dh fork on a hardtail that makes me wonder how they handle. They are totally bad ass I think. Do you do mostly urban and drops? That cliff cat is so sweet its off the chart...I personally ride around on a s8 with monster, but I never thought to put this kind of fork on a hardtail, especially a shiver....props to you if you race dh on one of these

Vulnix

Chimp
Jan 21, 2002
Ontario
I second the above comment.

I could see a ht with a 5" triple for stiffness and strength. dh forks feel big and slow on dh bikes. how could they be useful on ht. plus they got to put mad stress on the headtube. .243 has never had a frame failure and I know people run big forks on them, but looking at mine I just dont know why, and I cant understand what advantaget it would have. Like yea if you do drops alot, but without having fs, I would rather have the light front end to negotiate the bike down smoothly back tire first landings. but on my dh bike I just drop both tires at the same time. that seems to be the smoothest.

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
why do you ask such a question grasshopper? do we ask ourselves why is the grass green? why is the sky blue? why does yo mama ALWAYS GOTSTA BE SKIMPIN MAH CHANGE HOE!!!!

aight damn and seriously like she aint got the change fo a nickle.....

people just ride whats fun. is there really any practicality behind a volkswagon with gigantic wheels built solely to run over other cars? or rice racers who have spoilers but only go a top speed of about 150...a speed in which a spoilers overall effect is SO negligable....there are tons of things people do with thier toys just so they are VERY excentric and look cool and are fun to huck off of very high things. also yes ive seen many people race dh on a hardtail...its called b@lls yo. when you are screamming through a rock garden on a hardtail you need about 7" in the front. you get way up on the shock and ride it out. if youve never put one on your hardtail and youve never raced a brutal dh course on a ht i'd probably suggest you do it on your 4/5" singlecrown and then report back.

MTNPSYCHO

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Peabody, Mass
I wasnt trying to give the impression I dont think they are a good idea, I was just wondering what kind of riding they get used for mostly...I see alot of them in pics but I havent really seen anyone riding this type of bike so I could see how it rides...I am just curious if the rear hops around once you start hauling ass, and chit like that.....if I could afford another bike(or when), it will be one of these, maybe that camo cliff cat? that thing is haunting me....

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
alright....dual crown forks on HTs.
first of all, i have raced sunday river( a fairly rough course) on my HT, with a ft v-brake(dont ask) and a 4 inch marz. z5. its rough, bu do-able. a super big fork like a monster on a HT doesnt make sense to me either. i had a boxxer on my p3 for a day....but it just wasnt as fun...and the boxxer is like 3.5 lbs lighter than a monster. ive also done a 12 stair to flat on a HT with singlecrown, my view is if your going big enough on a HT to need a dual crown fork, you should be on a DH bike.

A

Atomic

Originally posted by Warped
SICK! Must be a blast to ride... Wow this thread was really th best one I've seen in long time.. I can't hang here more often now :D:cool:

A

Atomic

Originally posted by Danchez

sick bike. no way in hell i'd ride it with that fancy lacing pattern tho. my .02
OH.. Didnt see that:eek: I wonder if this was just some demo-wheels or an actual, solid and RIDEABLe pattern:confused: Looks cool tho!

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
this has been brought up before but.....that pattern is supposed to be stronger than regular but is obviously a little more time consuming and therefore more expensive

Danchez

Chimp
Apr 9, 2002
Orange, CA
this has been brought up before but.....that pattern is supposed to be stronger than regular but is obviously a little more time consuming and therefore more expensive
there's no way it's stronger. putting that many kinks/bends into any metal is going to weaken it. i must admit that it's pretty tho.

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
Originally posted by Danchez

there's no way it's stronger. putting that many kinks/bends into any metal is going to weaken it. i must admit that it's pretty tho.
some guy laced his wife's wheels like that and posted a pic on pinkbike. someone posted it here and there was a big discussion on it a long time ago. people said it was stronger so i dunno.....

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Johnsben01
....my view is if you're going big enough on a HT to need a dual crown fork, you should be on a DH bike.

I disagree, going big is a lot more impressive on a hardtail than on a DH bike.
perhaps more impressive, but not smart and the wrong equipment. I'm with him^

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by spincrazy

perhaps more impressive, but not smart and the wrong equipment. I'm with him^

wtf! dude, speak for yourself. im smart. i ride a hardtail and i ride it fvking hardcore. i huck big shiat and ride dh on it. its the right equipment, believe me. ride what is right for you, dont call me "not smart" because i love doing syko things on my ht AND because i CAN do them, do them WELL and do them better than you. you sound like the security guards i have to deal with constantly. just because i CAN bunnyhop up onto the little ledge and ride it out till its 5' high and go flying off it on my ht and some other schmoe cant and rides a huffy around, i get harrased and joe schmoe doesnt. wutever man, if you cant go big on a ht thats your problem. if you cant ride dh on a hardtail thats your problem. your not smart and YOU are the wrong equipment.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by diesel

wtf! dude, speak for yourself. im smart. i ride a hardtail and i ride it fvking hardcore. i huck big shiat and ride dh on it. its the right equipment, believe me. ride what is right for you, dont call me "not smart" because i love doing syko things on my ht AND because i CAN do them, do them WELL and do them better than you. you sound like the security guards i have to deal with constantly. just because i CAN bunnyhop up onto the little ledge and ride it out till its 5' high and go flying off it on my ht and some other schmoe cant and rides a huffy around, i get harrased and joe schmoe doesnt. wutever man, if you cant go big on a ht thats your problem. if you cant ride dh on a hardtail thats your problem. your not smart and YOU are the wrong equipment.
wow. people are testy today. perhaps you and Atom should take a cold shower. anyway,....

I wasn't saying that YOU were stupid. I THINK that needing a double crown fork on a hardtail is ridiculous, and that was what I thought I stated. There are few hardtails that are designed geometery wise for the kind of travel that a double crown fork has, let alone bomb proof enough. It's silly to me, but do what you will.

I DON'T OWN A FULLY SUSPENDED BIKE MYSELF, and I rip it up on my hardtail. ask around. I love hardtails.

And please, take deep breaths between reading posts and replying to them. My post wasn't in any way a personal attack, as after reading your reply, I'm assuming you thought mine was. chill.

much:love:

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
without getting WAY to grammercore specific, you said and i quote "...but not smart..." and i wasn't REALLY pissed or anything, but the fact remains ya said what ya said. it isnt smart man to fly down a mountain at 30 miles per hour through a rock garden with sharp jagged rocks the size of my coffee table on a full suspension bike OR a hardtail. thats what makes it fun as hell. people need what they want. im really not trying to make this philosophical but...there's a difference between YOU not needing one and someone else needing one. ALSO there are MANY hardtails designed to take a dual crown and most of the bikes in this thread and designed with accepting a dual crown in mind. many bigger riders ride a dual crown simply for the stiffness it provides. i personally know several guys who ride dualcrowns on thier xc bikes! dont think that dualcrown = sykocliffhucking 12" of travel...there are many other benefits of a dc fork than just travel.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I disagree about a single crown fork being enough on a hard tail.
I have a surly with a z3 qr 20+. I want to get a double crown, Not necessarily because I need more travel but because I need more stiffness.
My z3 flexes like a noodle. Just riding in the parking lot and braking makes it flex.
I want a stronger fork. More travel would be cool but not necessarily required.

Just wait, someday you'll see me on my single speed mtbike with monster t.
When I get more money that is.:rolleyes:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I agree that it is not smart to race downhill on a hardtail. It's quite clear that suspension is the way to go for speed, provided the course is rough enough. Whether the rider has more fun (which is what really matters) or derives more satisfaction from riding a hardtail is an entirely different matter, tho. See, everyone is right. :D

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
Originally posted by Mudpuppy
I disagree about a single crown fork being enough on a hard tail.
I have a surly with a z3 qr 20+. I want to get a double crown, Not necessarily because I need more travel but because I need more stiffness.
My z3 flexes like a noodle. Just riding in the parking lot and braking makes it flex.
I want a stronger fork. More travel would be cool but not necessarily required.

Just wait, someday you'll see me on my single speed mtbike with monster t.
When I get more money that is.:rolleyes:
lol, if your fork is "flexing" in the parking lot..i highly doubt its a Z.3 QR.20+...

sure, you may feel in some situations that it flexes a tiny bit but nothing like that. anyway, hell yeah with the dual crown fork...a monster t would make anything badass (well, as long as the frame is okay for it)

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001

lol, if your fork is "flexing" in the parking lot..i highly doubt its a Z.3 QR.20+...

sure, you may feel in some situations that it flexes a tiny bit but nothing like that. anyway, hell yeah with the dual crown fork...a monster t would make anything badass (well, as long as the frame is okay for it)
actually man you're dead wrong. i also have a z3qr20 and it flexs. proof you say? literally when i apply the break just riding forward at about 3 mph and break you hear and feel a HORRIBLE creaking noise from the stanchion crown assembly. it flexs horribly and extremly obviously so it really doesn not suprise me someone elses does this as well. you gotta factor in weight and abuse in...

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
well i hear someone say stuff like that every two seconds...so i consider it all bs. you've got a very good point and are probably right though.

Vulnix

Chimp
Jan 21, 2002
Ontario
The marz cyrofit is junk. My dj is flexing and creaking like mad. I just wish marz would get their act together and go back to bolt on.

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
ahhh thats bad dont say THAT> im getting a dj1 to replace my z3 so i dont have to DEAL with creakie crown issues....bahhh i guess its all part of the game, you huck your fork down 30 steps something is bound to start creaking hehe.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Yeah my z3 creaks all the time. It has pretty much since I got it. I don't do anything horribly extreme, but I am 6'4 220+ lbs so that doesn't help but I have to deal with my weight with all my bike parts. Anyway the important part is I want a monster 'cause I think I will enjoy riding more with one. Thats the point of riding right? Having fun.