Quantcast

Hi, I'm Alaska...have you considered drilling me lately?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Come on! I have a ton of oil just sitting there for the taking. Why on earth have you gone halfway around the world for some overpriced **** when I got the primo petrol right underneath me?
What? What's that you say? Caribou migrations? Man, those tundra lice dont give a ****. What are they gunna do? Die if they see an oil rig? Migrate somewhere else? They cant. They're caribou.
Drill me, for the sake of all that is good and decent. You dont need to be paying $2 a gallon for gas. Thats crazy. I have plenty of gas for you...Dril me NOW! :)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
syadasti said:
Only 6 months supply, not worth it...
Do you beleive EVERY estimate that goes contrary to the govts? Or do you actually try and look for the truth?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlySurly said:
Do you beleive EVERY estimate that goes contrary to the govts? Or do you actually try and look for the truth?
Haha oil is the black tar heroine for our industrialism.
How's the famous saying go? If it ain't broke don't fix it?

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
6 month supply?? I have heard differently from the mouth of a geologist who has been in the field for 40 years or so.....

Of course, he's my dad and a evil republican just like me :)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BurlySurly said:
Do you always bitch and complain when something you say is questionable?

There is already oil and gas drilling along 95% of the artic coastal plain, and drilling opposition groups want to keep the oil companies out of the remaining 5%

Oh I'm sorry, I left out your 50% chance of an extra three months :rolleyes:

http://arctic.fws.gov
Using the updated report and recent oil prices, the USGS estimated in 2000 that, assuming a price of $24 per barrel, there is a 95% chance of finding 1.9 billion barrels (BBO) of economically recoverable oil in the Arctic Refuge's 1002 Area; a 5% chance of finding 9.4 BBO; and a 50% chance of finding 5.3 BBO. Reported estimates of 16 BBO from the 1002 Area and adjacent private lands and offshore State waters do not factor in the costs of developing the oil field.

At prices less than $16 per barrel, there is reportedly no economically recoverable oil in the 1002 Area. (Present oil prices are ranging between $20 to $25 per barrel.) Nearly 1 million barrels of oil a day are produced from the existing oil fields in areas west of the Arctic Refuge, and new wells are brought into production each year. Americans use 19 million barrels of oil each day, or 7 billion barrels of oil per year. There is, therefore, a 50% chance of finding a 9 month's supply of oil in the 1002 Area, at $24 per barrel.
The Arctic Refuge is the only area on Alaska's North Slope where petroleum development is specifically prohibited by Congress. The rest of the region is available for oil and gas development through administrative decisions by the Secretary of the Interior on NPR-A and the Beaufort Sea, or by the Commissioner of the Alaska Department of Natural Resources on State lands and waters.
Cumulative biological consequences of oil field development that may be expected in the Arctic Refuge include:
-blocking, deflecting or disturbing wildlife
-loss of subsistence hunting opportunities
-increased predation by arctic fox, gulls and ravens on nesting birds due to introduction of garbage as a consistent food source
-alteration of natural drainage patterns, causing changes in vegetation
-deposition of alkaline dust on tundra along roads, altering vegetation over a much larger area than the actual width of the road
-local pollutant haze and acid rain from nitrogen oxides, methane and particulate matter emissions
contamination of soil and water from fuel and oil spills
When the Eisenhower Administration established the original Arctic Range in 1960, Secretary of Interior Seaton described it as:

"one of the world's great wildlife areas. The great diversity of vegetation and topography in this compact area, together with its relatively undisturbed condition, led to its selection as ... one of our remaining wildlife and wilderness frontiers."

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
N8 said:
Well, seems there is a lot more oil when the price is above $50 than when it was at $16 now ain't there..?
Yeah what is your point, it notes "At prices less than $16 per barrel, there is reportedly no economically recoverable oil in the 1002 Area. (Present oil prices are ranging between $20 to $25 per barrel)" and that there is a 50% chance of 9 months supply at $24/barrel (which was market price when the studies where conducted). The cost per barrel goes up sharply as they take more oil out of the ground so are aren't going to have a chance of getting as much even with the higher cost per barrel.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
hell yes drill it.

the sooner we use up ALL the worlds oil the sooner we can get onto using an alternative to oil.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So this penguin is riding along and sees oil on his shock. He takes the bike to the shop and the wrench says he'll look it over and to come back in 10 minutes. Penguin wanders over to the ice cream shop and gets a vanilla ice cream cone. It's a hot day and he's enjoying it, getting ice cream all over his face. He wanders back to the shop and the mechanic says, "looks like you blew a seal" and he replies, "no no, it's just ice cream."

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Polar bear cub goes to its mother and asks, "Mom, am I 100% polar bear?" Mom says, "Of course, son." He says, "Are you sure?" Annoyed, she snaps, "Yes. I'm a polar bear and your dad's a polar bear, so you're a polar bear, too. If you don't believe me, go bother your father about it."

Cub asks dad, "Dad, am I a true, 100% polar bear?" Dad says, "Of course. I'm a polar bear, your mom's a polar bear, and all your grandparents are polar bears." Cub is still not convinced, so dad shows him the family tree. "See, son...all your relatives and ancestors are polar bears, so you're definitely a polar bear."

The kid doesn't look convinced. Dad gets suspicious and asks, "Hey, why are you asking this, anyway?"

Cub says, "Because I'm fvcking freezing!"

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Seriously, drilling in Alaska is like planting a one sq foot plot of carrots in your back yard when your neighbor owns a vegetable farm. Saudi Arabia and Kuwait love us (well, our money, at least), and will keep selling us a whole lot more oil for pretty damn cheap as long as we keep pumping it into our cars and power plants.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
ohio said:
Saudi Arabia and Kuwait love us (well, our money, at least), and will keep selling us a whole lot more oil for pretty damn cheap as long as we keep pumping it into our cars and power plants.
Well they need to get that sh&t back down to 99 cents a gallon.......my Iraqi fuel burning terrorist supporting Chevy truck only gets like 17 miles to the gallon :D :oink:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
LordOpie said:
that was strangely homo-erotic and I'm now aroused.

hahahahahaha.

hey 2 bucks a gal for gas you are getting a hell of a deal burlysurly.

dont complain too much, thats the US price after "market adjustments" when everybody else is paying 4-5 bucks a gal.

i dont think you can "regulate" the market any more without more drastic meassures, or a coup in venezuela, razing iraq, or drilling the arctic. which may not necesarilly supply enough oil.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ALEXIS_DH said:
hahahahahaha.

hey 2 bucks a gal for gas you are getting a hell of a deal burlysurly.

dont complain too much, thats the US price after "market adjustments" when everybody else is paying 4-5 bucks a gal.

i dont think you can "regulate" the market any more without more drastic meassures, or a coup in venezuela, razing iraq, or drilling the arctic. which may not necesarilly supply enough oil.

Oh quit yer whinin'!!!

If gasoline was SO expensive in Peru then they wouldn't use it to...

Peru TV Shows Images of Man Burned Alive
AP

LIMA, Peru - Peru's state-run television station broadcast images Thursday of villagers in the country's remote Lake Titicaca region dousing an accused thief with gasoline and setting him ablaze.

Alejandro Noalca Mamani, 54, died late Wednesday of burns that covered 85 percent of his body, according to a communique faxed to The Associated Press by the regional hospital in Juliaca, 510 miles southeast of Lima. Nearly 1,000 people took part in the public lynching, which was under investigation, police said. No arrests were reported.

Local news media said Noalca Mamani was caught stealing a propane gas tank used for home cooking in Azangaro, about 6 miles north of Juliaca.

Images broadcast by TPN television showed Noalca Mamani tied to a lamp post as angry villagers berated him. Wire and ropes were then removed from his neck and wrists, and he was doused with gasoline and set on fire.

A police patrol arrived a short time later and took the mortally injured victim to a nearby hospital, officials said. He was later transferred to the Juliaca hospital, where he died about an hour after arriving.

Vigilante justice is common in Peru's remote rural areas where people complain of a lack of police presence.

About 1,000 residents from Ilave - a town south of Juliaca - beat their mayor to death on April 26 after accusing him of corruption. More than 200 riot police were sent in to regain control of the town the following day.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
N8 said:
Oh quit yer whinin'!!!

If gasoline was SO expensive in Peru then they wouldn't use it to...

Peru TV Shows Images of Man Burned Alive
AP

LIMA, Peru - Peru's state-run television station broadcast images Thursday of villagers in the country's remote Lake Titicaca region dousing an accused thief with gasoline and setting him ablaze.

Alejandro Noalca Mamani, 54, died late Wednesday of burns that covered 85 percent of his body, according to a communique faxed to The Associated Press by the regional hospital in Juliaca, 510 miles southeast of Lima. Nearly 1,000 people took part in the public lynching, which was under investigation, police said. No arrests were reported.

Local news media said Noalca Mamani was caught stealing a propane gas tank used for home cooking in Azangaro, about 6 miles north of Juliaca.

Images broadcast by TPN television showed Noalca Mamani tied to a lamp post as angry villagers berated him. Wire and ropes were then removed from his neck and wrists, and he was doused with gasoline and set on fire.

A police patrol arrived a short time later and took the mortally injured victim to a nearby hospital, officials said. He was later transferred to the Juliaca hospital, where he died about an hour after arriving.

Vigilante justice is common in Peru's remote rural areas where people complain of a lack of police presence.

About 1,000 residents from Ilave - a town south of Juliaca - beat their mayor to death on April 26 after accusing him of corruption. More than 200 riot police were sent in to regain control of the town the following day.

DUDE, this is the 3rd time this year that happens. people in the mountains are truly fvcked up.
thats what happens when people take justice on their hands, a-la NRA.

and i dont think they used gasoline, i dont think they have gas stations up there, probably it was kerosene or something like that.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ALEXIS_DH said:
DUDE, this is the 3rd time this year that happens. people in the mountains are truly fvcked up.
thats what happens when people take justice on their hands, a-la NRA.

and i dont think they used gasoline, i dont think they have gas stations up there, probably it was kerosene or something like that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hate to actually throw facts into this thread but I am really interested in the subject and did a little research and thought I'd post it.

The latest USGS survey of the Alaska National Wildlife Reserve show that contains a likely recoverable amount of oil is 10.3 billion barrels with a likely recovery rate of 1-2 million barrels per day. Sound like a lot? Not really, as of 2003 the US consumes 20 million barrels of oil a day. So the ANWR oil deposits could supply the US with about 500 days worth of oil if we could get it all at once or more realistically supply the US with 1-2% of our daily petroleum requirments. But to be even more realistic we have to realize that oil is a international market and the consumption and pricing will reflect it. As of 1998 world oil consumption was about 80 million barrels per day. China has surpassed the US as a petroleum consumer and it is estimated to increase oil demand 10%/year and India's demand growing 7.5% per year.

In other words it is inevitable that the ANWR will be drilled, but in the big picture it will mean absolutely nothing to people like us. In theory it could only reduce oil prices by a few percent and can't even come close to satisfying US demands. Realisticly the only thing it is going to solve is how some petrol stock holders will make their boat payments. I guess the good part is we all like bikes.

The only realistic solution to energy costs is finding alternative sources. New technology may get us some solar power that may work for home use but personally I think Nuclear is the way to go. Seeing as though the last non military Nuke plant was build like 30 years ago technology has come a long way. They have ceramic uranium pellets that pretty much make it impossible to have a melt down. We just have to suck up and deal and creat a national nuclear waste site build nuke plants that will survive accidents and attacks and stop being afraid of it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn True said:
Interesting. Thanks for the info. The spray we usually hear would lead you to believe that there is more up there than in the Mid-East.

Was there info about TX, PA, and the CA coast?
Not that I have found. A lot of the information was very hard to access, at least for free. There was a lot of data for sale ,$200-$800 a pop. Looks like oil futures speculation is big $$$ and data is worth something. But as a whole in 2002 the US supplied 4% of the worlds oil and that is estimated to dwindle to 1% by 2020.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Ok, but is that an assesment of what IS being produced, or what remains under the ground?

Compare this to mining gold.

There is far more gold under the ground in the Sierra foothills in CA than anywhere in the world. But it is not commercialy mined any longer because the cost of doing business in CA (ecological concerns, labor costs etc) vs. the price of gold makes mining in CA economicaly unviable. If the technology existed to extract the gold w/o the use of the current chemicals used in the smelting process, and if it could be extracted w/o buggering up millions of acres of wild-lands (note, the Sierra Club dosent seem to care if we mess up African wild-lands) it would be mined in CA, but it isn't so they dont.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Interesting data Westy......but it is still estimates. The other consideration you left out is the contribution to the Alaska and general economy through the creation of and sustaining the jobs there in that industry. The state of Alaska relies heavily on royalties from oil to run the state...(they collect something like 12% from each barrel) hence the lack of a state income tax. Also, from what I understand the oil companies have to (contractually) take out all the facilities, roads, pads etc. that they build when they are done. More jobs. And even if the oil doesn't turn out to be a huge amount.....why not just buy it and fill up the strategic supply. All these millions of cars, motorcycles and oil burning furnaces ain't going away any time soon, and it would be nice to have a full savings account if our other suppliers hold out. (I seem to remember the dems bitching about Bush sending shipments of oil to the caverns, thus depriving the general market and keeping the prices up.)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
T-Dog said:
Interesting data Westy......but it is still estimates. The other consideration you left out is the contribution to the Alaska and general economy through the creation of and sustaining the jobs there in that industry. The state of Alaska relies heavily on royalties from oil to run the state...(they collect something like 12% from each barrel) hence the lack of a state income tax. Also, from what I understand the oil companies have to (contractually) take out all the facilities, roads, pads etc. that they build when they are done. More jobs. And even if the oil doesn't turn out to be a huge amount.....why not just buy it and fill up the strategic supply. All these millions of cars, motorcycles and oil burning furnaces ain't going away any time soon, and it would be nice to have a full savings account if our other suppliers hold out. (I seem to remember the dems bitching about Bush sending shipments of oil to the caverns, thus depriving the general market and keeping the prices up.)
i'd be suprised if many people from Alaska would be signed up to do it. Alot of work that get's done in Alaska get's subcontracted out. It's all who you know.... just as with everything.
And speaking of which i heard that companies in England have stock in drilling oil in Alaska somehow. i maybe wrong, but perhaps this is GWB's payback to GB for being a good ally.
When it boils right down to it, a few people are gonna rake in some cash, and a little bit of crumbs will trickle down. Par for the course.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
T-Dog said:

The more oil recovered from Alaska is certainly good for the Alaskan economy. The only point I was trying to make that Drilling for oil in Alaska is in no way a solution to the energy problem, which is going to get worse as developing countries such as India an China become as energy hungry as the rest of the developed world. There have just been several people in other threads that have made statements making it sound like drilling in the ANWR will make the US no longer dependant on Middle Eastern oil.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:thumb:

Bush Looking Anew for Alaska Oil Drilling
Seattle Post Intelligence | November 9, 2004 | H. Josef Hebert - AP

WASHINGTON -- Republican gains in the Senate could give President Bush his best chance yet to achieve his No. 1 energy priority - opening an oil-rich but environmentally sensitive Alaska wildlife refuge to drilling.

If he is successful, it would be a stinging defeat for environmentalists and an energy triumph that eluded Bush his first four years in the White House. A broader agenda that includes reviving nuclear power, preventing blackouts and expanding oil and gas drilling in the Rockies will be more difficult to enact.

Republicans in the House and Senate said this week they plan to push for Alaska refuge drilling legislation early next year, and they predict success, given the 55-44-1 GOP Senate majority in the next Congress. Democrats and some environmental activists say continued protection of the refuge has never been as much in doubt.

"It's probably the best chance we've had," Rep. Richard Pombo, R-Calif., chairman of the House Resources Committee and a vocal drilling advocate, said in an interview.

Sen. Pete Domenici, R-N.M., chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, said he will press to open the coastal plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) as part of the government's budget deliberations early in 2005. That would enable drilling proponents to skirt an otherwise certain Democratic-led filibuster that would be difficult to overcome

(Excerpt) Read more at seattlepi.nwsource.com ...

Btyler311

Chimp
Aug 8, 2004
Support Alternative power and fight urban sprawl.

They both work together to screw us when it comes to energy issues. I am sitting in traffic for a solid hour each way 5 days a week as is my wife, going a different direction so we, just like everyone else, don't car pool. We do drive 4 cyl.s though. I see schmucks in hummers all the time here in S. FL driving alone in the same traffic, as if we had snow or hills or anything they would need a hummer to get over.

Makes me sick. I secretly like the rising fuel costs as they screw the hummer butnuggets much worse than it does me. I am sorry for those of you who do live where those vehicals are warrented and needed, its the urban monster truck drivers who are the ones making your lives unfairly difficult.

Ty

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Btyler311 said:
I secretly like the rising fuel costs as they screw the hummer butnuggets much worse than it does me. I am sorry for those of you who do live where those vehicals are warrented and needed, its the urban monster truck drivers who are the ones making your lives unfairly difficult.
This is a free country and people should be able to buy what they want. But it cracks me up when people say they NEED an SUV. It hasn't been that long ago when there were only a few of the things on the road, no one seemed to really need them then. It is a status symbol more than anything else. When gas hits $3.00 a gallon things will change a bit.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy,

My 93 Cherokee is anything but a status symbol. I assure you. I got it because it was $1000 and has a big V6 and 4x4. Perfect vehicle for my lifestyle.

On the other hand, I had a vision from god last night, and he told me that drilling Alaska was cool with him and that there's more oil up there than anyone has figured and to relay my message on to George W. Bush if I get a chance.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BurlyShirley said:
Westy,

My 93 Cherokee is anything but a status symbol. I assure you. I got it because it was $1000 and has a big V6 and 4x4. Perfect vehicle for my lifestyle.

On the other hand, I had a vision from god last night, and he told me that drilling Alaska was cool with him and that there's more oil up there than anyone has figured and to relay my message on to George W. Bush if I get a chance.
Back in '93 I beleive Jetta's and Jeeps were the hiphop status symbol of choice.

Anyway I was refering more to the yuppie tool types that get giant vehicles because they feel the need to have something they can carry their whole extended family in and haul everything they own with 12" of snow on the ground, despite the fact they only thing they use it for is commuting to work and trips to Starbucks.

Btyler311

Chimp
Aug 8, 2004
If it fits your lifestyle then more power to ya Burly, I just think its an obvious/ridiculous status grab when some yuppy woman in Weston, FL with 1 kid and no boat is trying to park a nissan armada in the compact spots in front of Einstein's bagel shop.

If you can't drive a car and you have 6 empty seats in it 6 days of the week then maybe its just a little too big.

Ty