Quantcast

I want a new guitar.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
He was ahead of his time.

In all seriousness, the nut does appear to be (correctly) cut for typical right hand stringing. Hard to tell for sure from the pic, but the strings don't seem to be sitting right as strung. The notches for the strings get slightly larger/deeper as you go from high E to low E (smallest diameter to largest) so the action is the same (or very close) for all strings. Restringing for right hand should be much better as it's intended as such.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
He was ahead of his time.

In all seriousness, the nut does appear to be (correctly) cut for typical right hand stringing. Hard to tell for sure from the pic, but the strings don't seem to be sitting right as strung. The notches for the strings get slightly larger/deeper as you go from high E to low E (smallest diameter to largest) so the action is the same (or very close) for all strings. Restringing for right hand should be much better as it's intended as such.
This is a right hand guitar currently strung as left. I'm assuming configuration wise it would be a non issue, I guess my concern is more if there's any issue reusing the strings.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
This is a right hand guitar currently strung as left. I'm assuming configuration wise it would be a non issue, I guess my concern is more if there's any issue reusing the strings.
I saw your previous post about it being a right hand guitar strung lefty. I was just confirming it appears to still be appropriately setup for right hand play aside for the stringing (ie: no need to flip nut/bridge, etc)

There's no issue reusing strings, assuming you have enough length to work with (heh). Some people (myself included) use locking tuners and cut the strings close with minimal wraps, so restringing them would be a tremendous PITA if not impossible.

Also not a huge deal to pick up a pack of strings and go new. Looking at like $6-10 or so.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Go to a shop, get a set of light or medium light strings. Should cost no more than 10 bucks. I just swapped the dirty OG strings on mine for a set of mediums. Took maybe 30 minutes. Sounds better, but the mediums are definitely heavier than what was on it before, and my fingers hurt again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I saw your previous post about it being a right hand guitar strung lefty. I was just confirming it appears to still be appropriately setup for right hand play aside for the stringing (ie: no need to flip nut/bridge, etc)

There's no issue reusing strings, assuming you have enough length to work with (heh). Some people (myself included) use locking tuners and cut the strings close with minimal wraps, so restringing them would be a tremendous PITA if not impossible.

Also not a huge deal to pick up a pack of strings and go new. Looking at like $6-10 or so.
Yea, the head is symmetrical. It looks like there should be enough to rewind them, no?

PXL_20210418_171423367.jpg

Also, any reason I couldn't restring with non-nylon strings?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
It's 50/50 nylon metal strings right now.
It’s 50% wrong. It should be all of one or the other. Nylon specific guitars like yours should only use nylon. Some will say you can use nylon on guitars built for steel/metal.

not saying you can’t get away with it as is, but it’s not advisable.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Ask for balanced 10s and they'll think you know what you're talking about
I like D’addario or Ernie Ball.
:rant:
He needs a set of nylon strings, dammit!

@jonKranked get some cheap mid-tension nylon set. You won't be able to tell a difference, and the guitar will never sound like one with steel strings anyway. If you can't find good use for it yourself, set it aside and wait until your kiddo is old enough to take classical guitar lessons. It may be the best gift ever.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It’s 50% wrong. It should be all of one or the other. Nylon specific guitars like yours should only use nylon. Some will say you can use nylon on guitars built for steel/metal.

not saying you can’t get away with it as is, but it’s not advisable.
50% wrong also means 50% right

In all seriousness, is it just a matter of fitment? Or is there a differentiation in tension between the string types that will alter/deform the neck or other components over time?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:rant:
He needs a set of nylon strings, dammit!

@jonKranked get some cheap mid-tension nylon set. You won't be able to tell a difference, and the guitar will never sound like one with steel strings anyway. If you can't find good use for it yourself, set it aside and wait until your kiddo is old enough to take classical guitar lessons. It may be the best gift ever.
Both my kids (my son - the oldest - especially) have already expressed an interest in music. I want to stoke that interest because I think music is a great think for kids to learn and have an appreciation of. We have a basic casio keyboard they like too. I'm trying to teach him scales, with mild success thus far. At their ages (6 and almost 4) I don't have very high expectations, but having the exposure and interest at this age is something I want to nurture. Like I said, I have no experience playing guitar (or any stringed instrument for that matter) so this is a learning experience for me as well. The cost of investment was low, so I wanna see how things go, both for the kids and myself.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

In all seriousness, is it just a matter of fitment? Or is there a differentiation in tension between the string types that will alter/deform the neck or other components over time?
Goodness, I would think so. The tension to make a metal string "ring out" has to be a lot higher than nylon.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

well the link
leads to
Ernie Ball Folk Nylon acoustic guitar plain strings are made of a solid nylon clear filament. Nylon produces rich pure treble tones with percussive attack. Ernie Ball folk nylon wound strings are made of 80/20 bronze wrapped around a multifilament nylon core.

I'm not familiar with this style of string but it looks like it does exist with bronze wrapped low strings, which still have a nylon core. This may be what's on your guitar now.

The issue is beyond fit. The string tension will be too high with a full steel set, so your guitar's neck will bend like mine, and eventually crack. That design is intended for the lower tension.