Quantcast

Intense 29er DH bike

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Figured I would rehash the Intense thread, not the current one ;)

That being said, I rode one properly for the first time 2 weekends ago...it was numerous runs on telonics/canyon acres on Laguna, our latest 2951 prototype (that has no immediate plan for production) and it was hands down faster than 26" wheel bike, but ONLY on straight sections, I found myself going slower in corners but I chalked that up to not trusting the roachy tire options I have for the bike and perhaps I just need to adopt a certain cornering style for the bike??

But over fast, high speed, rutted out trails, it was mo fastah mo bettah, no question.

Still would not let you ever take an M9 away from me

My 2 cents

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Figured I would rehash the Intense thread, not the current one ;)

That being said, I rode one properly for the first time 2 weekends ago...it was numerous runs on telonics/canyon acres on Laguna, our latest 2951 prototype (that has no immediate plan for production) and it was hands down faster than 26" wheel bike, but ONLY on straight sections, I found myself going slower in corners but I chalked that up to not trusting the roachy tire options I have for the bike and perhaps I just need to adopt a certain cornering style for the bike??

But over fast, high speed, rutted out trails, it was mo fastah mo bettah, no question.

Still would not let you ever take an M9 away from me

My 2 cents
go ride it on some tight, technical trails then get back to us.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
See the part where I said I said 'going slower in corners'

Thanks
but you also indicated that may have been attributed to the tires, no?

is there any possibility that intense is gonna try its hand at a proper 29" dh tire? I know the tooling & production costs would be way high for something that may not ever go into production.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Even if they do it fixed gear and brakeless and have tons of talent it doesn't hold your interest nearly as much as 26/24/20s...not as much possible due to physics. His videos were way better before he started doing this fixed gear crap...
Don't look like a fixed gear to me. :confused:

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY

is there any possibility that intense is gonna try its hand at a proper 29" dh tire? I know the tooling & production costs would be way high for something that may not ever go into production.
WTB makes a 26" version of that tire, do they not? Someone should actually buy them and do a head to head.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Don't look like a fixed gear to me. :confused:
Agreed.
I've seen the vid before, but watching it now, I distinctly saw him coast a few moves and even backpedal before a drop...wheel was still spinning.

Ah:
A little while ago I thought it would be a good idea to put a freewheel on my fixie. I'd misplaced the brakes so I had to run it without, this wasn't a good idea as I ended up wrapping myself round a tree. Anyway, I did manage to get a bit of footage before injury, then bad weather stopped play. It is what it is, whatever that is!
From the vid description on PB. Makes sense.

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

I was lacking confidence in the tires, yes, I am sissy like that. If it is not tires I am used to shredding, I get scurred.

Intense tires in a 29er style-Coming to a dealer near you, no time frame though.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I was lacking confidence in the tires, yes, I am sissy like that. If it is not tires I am used to shredding, I get scurred.

Intense tires in a 29er style-Coming to a dealer near you, no time frame though.
I agree about the tires. I have the same on my Lenz PBJ.
CAnt wait for those tires. We need something better to get the 29er DH bike thing off the ground

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
By your logic I should be able to totally shred tight technical trails if I slap 24s on my dh bike.
I have ridden pump tracks on 26s and then 24s. Certain tracks are much better with the 24s. Others there was no advantage vs 26. But I am sure of this... a 29er would have sucked on either.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
reminds me of the meetings with hanebrink and cully back in the iron horse days, hanebrink was so sold on the 24" wheels, as was cully, he drank the koolaid. Then he got beat by herpie lerpie in a slalom and never rode that turd again.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
How do 29ers jump, even if we can get them to ride decently, i would be kinda skeptical ripping into a big triple with 29er wheels, especially if the flanges are not wider to compensate, rip into a berm and fold it? Not against it, but if it could make it to market, i see the pot being stirred big time, usac even allow it?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
How do 29ers jump, even if we can get them to ride decently, i would be kinda skeptical ripping into a big triple with 29er wheels, especially if the flanges are not wider to compensate, rip into a berm and fold it?
Seems to be doin alright in the vid Intense had up a while back.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
How do 29ers jump, even if we can get them to ride decently, i would be kinda skeptical ripping into a big triple with 29er wheels, especially if the flanges are not wider to compensate, rip into a berm and fold it? Not against it, but if it could make it to market, i see the pot being stirred big time, usac even allow it?
Mine jumps as well as I do and thats not that great but worked on it at Diablo. I broke my foot a few years ago off a jump so they still give me the HeBeJeBes but I am working on it.
I found the bike a better jumper then my Demo8 because it was more stable for me.
We will see how the M9 does this year Vs the PBJ.
You can take mine for a rip at diablo as long as it fits and you dont fold the wheels

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Mine jumps as well as I do and thats not that great but worked on it at Diablo. I broke my foot a few years ago off a jump so they still give me the HeBeJeBes but I am working on it.
I found the bike a better jumper then my Demo8 because it was more stable for me.
We will see how the M9 does this year Vs the PBJ.
You can take mine for a rip at diablo as long as it fits and you dont fold the wheels
I would absolutely love to take a run or two on your PBJ, how often are you at Diablo?

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I would absolutely love to take a run or two on your PBJ, how often are you at Diablo?
I am usually there every other Satuerday or so. I usually get there for open and leave by 1. So catch me early and have a nice bike for me to ride. Hope every Saturday this season. Or Pkill Sunday.
Going off the drop on Tempest

The bike is hard to miss

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Just dont break it. We all know how fragile the wheels are.
Not sure how tall and heavy you are but the bike was built for my 6'5" 230lbs

Last edited:

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
So much for the rumor that 29ers look out of proportion. ;)
That is true.

I will have a hard choice between my PBJ and my M9 this year. Sometimes I bring both but usually just one.
May try the M9 opening day to get it dialed.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
So much for the rumor that 29ers look out of proportion. ;)
Not saying 29ers don't look proportional, but pretty sure the PBJ is a bigger sized frame regardless of the 29" wheels or not(IE a 29er dh bike that is a smaller size might look less proportioned). That being said I have seen it in person, and it doesn't different or out of place. In fact the only reason I really knew it was a 29er is by seeing pictures of it on here, otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed.