Quantcast

IS SUB 40 lbs POSSIBLE? How

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
stoney98 said:
you'll lose more weight by running tubeless tires no bigger then 2.5. You should be running 2.5 f, 2.35 r, tubeless, double butted spokes on a light rim (single tracks, 521, mavic tubeless, etc)
Also, the hussfelts are tanks. drop em.
Heck Yeah...
I dropped almost 4 lbs by going from a FSA Gravity Extreme crankset to a Truvativ SL XC crank, and Maxxis 2.7/2.5 DH combo over to a 2.35 Tubeless Highroller f/r.
I can still ride everything I could before too!!

biker3

Turbo Monkey
frznnomad said:
hell yeh man deffinatly stocked about it now i just got to come up with the cash for my crazy build, and find out how in the hell i can get the frame. ohh and can i ask why you opted to not go with the floating brake on the frame. well thanks for the info man and damn dude that thing looks HOT.

ohh and tom how does the double barrel perfome on the frame as well. how much of an improvement is it over the swinger. well thanks fellas and sorry bout doing this on this thread it just kinda fit lol. as soon as i get mine built it will be on here as well.
You don't need the floater, If you learn how to use your brakes correctly then there is no need for it whatsoever. If you want to mash your brakes through steep and rough stuff and have your suspension work then go for it, but if you want to learn how to brake before you get into the nasty stuff and carry more speed throughout everything then it's just a waste of money. Plus I think the floater system is like $400 dollars or something. I like the feeling of my bike squating anyways, it gets it lower and feels more comfortable as a whole. The DB kills the swinger in every way possible. Search my posts ive written some reviews on it comparing it to the swinger and the DHX.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay man ill do the search guess i should have done that before. lol well thanks man for all the help and damn i want my new frame right now. to bad im in college and well i dont have any money.:mumble:

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
Forget floaters, just watch for having weight on yout rear wheel when braking....
A couple of years every motorbike had a floater and now?
Brake less and at the right time is the key, there´s no technical stuff which helps you to get better when it comes to riding tecnique....

My UZZI arrives next tuesday, then gets sandblasted and anodized, rest of parts should be here in 2 Weeks, keep you updated with my sub 17kg project......

Greetings from Europe, Cannon

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
dw said:
The Sunday frame weighs 0.44 lbs less than the Commencal frame that Sir Bikealot said was in the 37s, so follow that build and you should be damn light!
Dave
Well it will take a little bit of work to get it to 37lbs. Here is my Factory frame 41lbs as pictured including pedals:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
CBJ said:
Well it will take a little bit of work to get it to 37lbs. Here is my Factory frame 41lbs as pictured including pedals:
Ha, don't you know that published weights never include pedals?? :rofl:

Lets see, switch over to an I-Beam setup with a I-Fly and 2014 post, a 31.8mm (carbon?) bar so you can get rid of those HEAVY spacers, and a lighter wheelset and you're golden. Oh yeah, and run 3 ti rotor bolts instead of 6 steel ones. *much* lighter. :oink:

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Go tubeless possible lighter hubs depending on what your running riht now,Gamut guide,a set of middleburns,You will start losing pounds right away

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks for the advice but I am very happy with 41 lbs, E13 guide and the profiles was choosen carefully and I am running tubeless. Its the setup I wanted.

Nov 9, 2005
that bike is sick. my stab weighs 46 pounds and rides fine so as long as you have the endurance and leg power you can race almost anything.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
bomberboy11 said:
41 lbs is wayyyyy too heavy to race on....

41 is perfectly fine, as most people's bikes are around that mark anyway. Ever lift a Yeti 303 frame? Those guys seem to do ok on those.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Wayne said:
41 is perfectly fine, as most people's bikes are around that mark anyway. Ever lift a Yeti 303 frame? Those guys seem to do ok on those.
Indeed I have and indeed they do. I know 41 is just fine. I would do anything to lighten my bike up to something like that if it didn't cost more than I care to think about.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Transcend said:
Hard to ride that way, I'd think.

Also, bike below is somewhere between 35-36 pounds with pedals on it and 2006 e13 stuff, fox 40 etc.

I call BS with that weight. 05 224, 06 Boxxer WC, DHX air, ti bolts everywhere, XTR cranks, carbon mrp sys 3, 721s on hopes with bladed spokes, Juciy carbons, xo drivetrain is 35.5.

The 40 is a pound more, and the rear shock is at least another half pound with the spring. so yours would be 37 at least. Not to mention you're running a heavier seat and seatpost too.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Daver said:
I call BS with that weight. 05 224, 06 Boxxer WC, DHX air, ti bolts everywhere, XTR cranks, carbon mrp sys 3, 721s on hopes with bladed spokes, Juciy carbons, xo drivetrain is 35.5.

The 40 is a pound more, and the rear shock is at least another half pound with the spring. so yours would be 37 at least. Not to mention you're running a heavier seat and seatpost too.
Id definitely rock that bike... Why did you take the blue nob off the dhx?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Daver said:

so maybe fraser is off by a bit.... but considering that the difference between the forks is not a pound like you claim (and by the way he is running the same seatpost as you)... fraser bike has a LG-1 guide on it and E3 stem (the picture he posted is old). saint brakes, hadley hubs, ti bottom bracket bla bla bla

frasers michelins are lighter than your maxxis, are yours tubless... frasers are. you guys have the same wheels as well as frame too.

so i can not imagine frasers bike is much heavier than yours, ido not understand why everyone is ganging up on fraser. he "guessed" his bike would be in the 35-36 pound range... so maybe he was off bu half a pound and should have said 35.5 -36.5 pound range

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
Hi there, things are getting staretd, the frame (UZZI VPX) has arrived, just gemoved the decals and put some etch on the frame to get the colour off......
Will anodize the rig next week.
Ti Spring is on the way, only waiting for the Gamut p40, the Tomson Elite post and the Syntace Superforce stem, 16.7kg should be possible....

Greetz, Cannon

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Daver, thanks for posting that. This is what I was saying earlier about Fraser's claimed weight of 35-36lbs. I don't doubt its in the 37.5-38.5lb range, which is still damn light, but 35 with those components? I'd like to see it in person to believe it.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I think this thread should be called sub 36, under 40 is no problem, but dropping those extra 4 pounds can be tough if strength is still important.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
This thread should just plain die. Honestly, guys worrying about that half lb on their bike can't honestly be enjoying the riding they are doing.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
rockymt21 said:
This thread should just plain die. Honestly, guys worrying about that half lb on their bike can't honestly be enjoying the riding they are doing.
Seriously. Besides, these weights are all in RideMonkey pounds anyhow. PinkBike has feet, RM has pounds.

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
of course guys, youre right, doesn´t matter if 2 pounds more or less but it´s another kind of "what´s possible????"
I don´t need to have a DH bike that´s sub 40lbs but i want to because it´s simply possible to do it........
Don´t know if it makes me faster but i can do...

Greetz, Cannon

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Red Bull said:
Id definitely rock that bike... Why did you take the blue nob off the dhx?
Firstly, it isn't my bike, it's a mates. The blue knob is taken off the DHX for more weight savings (~30g). Interestingly he's actually reverting back to a ti sprung DHX and some more standard parts (weight savings are not as important anymore for him).

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Well I have to say I like the pics though. Don't think I am going to get the new Glory under 40lbs this coming year. I just found out today they will not be shipping them till Jan. 2nd now. I was told it was going to be this week. O'Well.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well I have to say I like the pics though. Don't think I am going to get the new Glory under 40lbs this coming year. I just found out today they will not be shipping them till Jan. 2nd now. I was told it was going to be this week. O'Well.
That sucks, Get all anxious and have a timeframe then WHAM! just a little longer.
I am so impatient I don't even go to the DR. :D

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
How in the He_ l was that. I know heath said his cannondale was at 36. somethin.
What are they doing and how reliable is it. Carbon, ti, ???.
My target is 38-39 and reliable as long as common sense is used in drops and slopes.
your army can be built sick light, 36lbs is definitely possible.

actually youd be sure to hit 36lbs with this build

xc saddle
tioga/721 rims laced to a sub 500g hubset (440/pro2/flea) and supercomps
xtr cranks (950 or 970)
lg1/gamut
woodie (dhs is a tad heavier) w ti 550lbs spring
888sl ata / boxxer wc
thomson stem & post
tubeless
2,5 rubber
xtr or x0 gearing

for the rest, just normal spec. i dont figure any ti bolts or carbon is necessary at all.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
lessee thatd mean 4000g frame, 950g brakes, 100 g headset, 150g stem, 300g bar, 100g grips, 150g seatpost, 200g saddle, 150g shifter, 200g derailleur, 250g cogs, 50g ring, 250g chain, 200g chainguide, 650g cranks/bb, 500g pedals, 200g tubeless goop/strips, 2600g tires, 1200g rims, 350g spokes/nipples, 500g hubs, 2850g fork, 850gshock/spring, 50g cable/housing.

total is 37lbs, thats a spec you could do anything on, with 8" travel front and 10" rear. add some ti or carbon here and there and you hit your 36lbs with a full on dh frame

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah I could lose a lb or close to by the 888 slata and drop the dhs for a little more shave some weight on the brakes but I fr/huck as well and it would get a little scary.
Somethin about stair gap"N" a 36-37lb full blown dh rig scares me. I like the 38-42 lb range a little fluctuation is OK.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
like others said, for all we know he could be using dh tubes. that would all the difference.

here is my bike: its kinda funny going through this tread again nearly one year later and seeing my old vp-free build. i just swaped out the frame.

i need a new photo of it, its got a srs on it and new xt cranks.
specs:
supreme dh s/m
fox 40, steel spring
king head set
easton casbon bars
odi ruffian grips
avid juicy carbon
galfer wave rotors
sele seat and rf post
hadley/dt comp/721
maxxis minions
2.35 tubes
easton cully pedals
105 road cassette
105 rd,
sram rocket shifter

weight:42lbs

stuff i am changing this x-mas,
823 tubeless with alu nips,
mich 2.2 comp 16
maybe a new saddle

i am not sure wether i would drop any weight, but at least i will loose some rolling resistance.

its annoying that all these lil bits and peices add up, stuff that i can think off is steel spring in the 40+.25lbs, easton cully pedals,1.5lbs(when compared to other pedals) but i just love my eastons. :D not soo light stem, maybe the galfer wave rotors,

thats all i can think of, seeing that dropmachine has his build up to 40lbs with boxxer wc and ti spring i tihnk i am doing alright.

do you guys have any suggestions to save any substantial weight?