Quantcast

IS SUB 40 lbs POSSIBLE? How

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
PoserNewbie said:
Ok, now I find this hard to believe. Unless my digital scale is out of whack, I'm not sure how you build the DHR under 40lbs with your build. BTW, mine is an Uzzi VPX (frame weighs 10.5 lbs).
he is also running tubeless, believe me he is not lying about the weight, this babies light

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
PoserNewbie said:
Ok, now I find this hard to believe. Unless my digital scale is out of whack, I'm not sure how you build the DHR under 40lbs with your build. BTW, mine is an Uzzi VPX (frame weighs 10.5 lbs).
Arguing on the internet is dumb, and it means nothing to me if anyone believes me or not. But the bike is just shy of 40 pounds... (Same build as Honda/Turner team minus the Fork and a few other minor parts)

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Red Bull, my old V10 ('03 - 12 to 13lb) had a build that was similar to yours, but probably half a pound lighter, yet it weighed in at ~44lbs. Maybe our scales weigh heavy and American scales weigh light? ;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wayne said:
Red Bull, my old V10 ('03 - 12 to 13lb) had a build that was similar to yours, but probably half a pound lighter, yet it weighed in at ~44lbs. Maybe our scales weigh heavy and American scales weigh light? ;)
I think your scales are in need of serious calibration, Wayne. Funny how everyone else is wrong, but yours MUST be right. I don't think the laws of probablity are in your favour here. :rolleyes:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
NNNAAAAAHHHH! My Karp weighs 43.5 with a stratos s8 (tank fork).
Looking into a 888rc2 or wc 05.
I ordered dh kendas 2.7 there goes the weight weenie neighborhood.
I have another set of deemax's that will sport a lighter set of tires and I can always put my wc on it for racing and leave it where it's at for FR.
I will always be looking for the ultimate build and yes it will always entail that magic # 40 and under. :D

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
bullcrew said:
Plus a moon buggy from the 60's that can shuttle you to the top.
Too bad they never made it to the moon, to be able to drop off any moon buggies.

The Russian's might still beat us there! If they do, they should bring the lightest DH bike with them, so that it get's even lighter! lol Talk about the mad air you could get off of some jumps! lol

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Transcend said:
I think your scales are in need of serious calibration, Wayne. Funny how everyone else is wrong, but yours MUST be right. I don't think the laws of probablity are in your favour here. :rolleyes:
Too funny. I'm not this retentive really, but...

I've used several different scales, calibrated them all up against items with various listed weights for each scale used and come up with the same numbers each time within maybe an ounce or two at the very upper limit. I've also weighed bikes and parts up against what manufacturers specs are, so I have a fairly good idea of what a lot of things weigh.

Then there's people whom I know who are working on a completely separate system than me and they come up with very similar numbers. That includes manufacturers. Not enough for ya?

Given that as a pretty solid model to work with, knowing what parts and frames people are weighing and their outcomes, would not that be a valid reason to find it puzzling without proof or numbers?

What's your 224 frame weigh?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Speaking of the Russians, what about the advice of Boris the Blade?

"Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you just hit him over the head with it."

This is how I justify my beer gut. If I can't gun him/her down, I hit them in the dome with the "avalanche" and call it even.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Tattooo said:
Speaking of the Russians, what about the advice of Boris the Blade?

"Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you just hit him over the head with it."

This is how I justify my beer gut. If I can't gun him/her down, I hit them in the dome with the "avalanche" and call it even.
Thats true, I grew up with the "If it's stuck boy don't give up, get a bigger hammer."
The avy's aren't that heavy though, both my bikes have them and both teeter within -2 to +3.5lbs of the 40 mark.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
40 in my fat opinion, is the right weight for a DH bike.

I've ridden mild DH on my old Banshee, and frankly the lighter weight didn't inspire a faster time. Point o fact, I was faster on the Azonic all loaded out at 43# on that course in TX then I was on the 34# Banshee.

I think it tracks better with the weight. I am not going to make the absurd arguement for a 65# bike, but I can stand with a 40 to 45# "lead sled" as a good way down the mountain, provided I am not supposed to pedal too much up a hill...

Ask Hacksaw about the Peavine ride sometime. They might have kicked my fat posterior up the inclines, but once things turned down, there was no stopping the Demo of Destruction, which is a svelt 44.655#

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Oh yea.

The "Avalanche" I am speaking of is when a girl is going down on a fat guy, and right as he blows his load he drops his beer gut right on her head. While Avy might make a good bike, this my friends, is the true AVALANCHE!

Fat kid, party of five, coming though.
Or am I deader then the parents on Party of Five?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
If your old banshee was a screem I refuse to belive that it was 34 pounds, well come to think of it unless it was a there lighter HT i dont belive you had a 34 pound banshee

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
It was the Chaparelle, or however you spell that funny Canadian speak.

I went light, and it was an error, and as such is why I sold that bike.

Light bikes + fat kids = no good times on the flat grounds of Louisiana.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
you can't really argue over the weight of a bike without a complete list. obviously you can't tell exactly what Frazer's build kit weighed since he only mentioned brands, not models.

i would however like to know what a 224 frame only weighs, to satiate my curiosity.

35 is not absurd, to be general like you guys: my hard tail weighs 29 and i have diabolus cranks.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Tattooo said:
Oh yea.

The "Avalanche" I am speaking of is when a girl is going down on a fat guy, and right as he blows his load he drops his beer gut right on her head. While Avy might make a good bike, this my friends, is the true AVALANCHE!

Fat kid, party of five, coming though.
Or am I deader then the parents on Party of Five?
Yeah! I belong to the other avy cult! :D

Never heard of that, lmao.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
my 223 is 40 on the nose, and this is even with 3# of dh tubes, uncut post, and a beast of a stem. so lets just say 37 after those changes. and this thing still wouldn't be maxed out for weight savings.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
nvd said:
I'm pretty sure the '06 Sunday World Cup comes off the shop rack at about 38 lbs stock. Word on the street is that Sam has his built up to 36 lbs.
The Mafia would kill you for leaking that...:mumble:

Seriously..I'm building (tearing down) my Demo up right now and I actually bought it stock as a Demo 8 II....it weighed 42.5 lbs with pedals..pretty respectable off the shelf!

I'm swapping the pedals for Mallet M's - only 30 grams diff.
Took the Holzfeller stem and Demo bar off last night and threw on my Thomson 31.8 x 50mm and Azonic Scandium B52 31.8mm bar on. - about 60 grams
Took the stock tires off and put on my Comp 16's- about 30-50 grams less
Strange..the bike actually came with medium weight XC tubes..so no weight drop there.
Took the Syncros post off and will be putting Thomson - 65 grams (b4 cutting)
Putting on Ti SDG Belair saddle(299 grams)- Stock Specialized saddle was generic..but not real heavy and no scale...maybe 20-30 grams. Will be replacing the Blackspire guide with an E13..maybe the new lighter one - 30-50 grams?.
Just sold my DHX and ordered my Double Barrel..so that will actually add a few grams.
Don't know that the Ti spring will be in the works...they're hard to come by right now.
Replacing the stock 36 hole Demo hubset and ex 721 rims with DT FR 440 set....that will be the big savings there.

Anybody know the weight difference between XT 170mm cranks and BB compared to the Holzfeller cranks and Howitzer BB and if it's worth it?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
motomike said:
-E.13 LG1 guide with taco

I don't know how much Windrock abuse that taco can take. :think: About every month I have to file down my e.13 bashguard, where it has mushroomed from impacts, to get to rotate through the guide again.

Locals with MRPs spend a lot of time rebending their plates.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
profro said:
I don't know how much Windrock abuse that taco can take. :think: About every month I have to file down my e.13 bashguard, where it has mushroomed from impacts, to get to rotate through the guide again.

Yeah I know. I got for everything but Windrock. I've got a SGS kit coming for that very reason.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
profro said:

Well since it is a cut in half supercharger under there, it is the same situation you have. Since the taco's arn't out yet I think, he has half a super charger laying around somewhere, and if the supercharger gets hurt, he can switch it out. No biggie.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
motomike said:
Well it's worked great for riding around my driveway. :blah:

I'm taking it to the trails today for the first time.:cool:
I'm thinking about testing one out, and just going to cut a supercharger I have laying around. I think it would be really nice. Maybe in Whistler and some other not h-core races this summer.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
motomike said:
Take some pics please!

Please.... I will be riding, sleeping, and eating. I'm probably going to wait until I get back to crap. I want to spend that much time riding. Me, Geritt, Tom, and Bloch. We will be ripping!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
profro said:
Please.... I will be riding, sleeping, and eating. I'm probably going to wait until I get back to crap. I want to spend that much time riding. Me, Geritt, Tom, and Bloch. We will be ripping!
just keep in mind Bloch and his first trip to Snowshoe and how it ended. We want you guys around to ride this summer!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
my bike is at 44lbs.
my build is:
small vpfree with 5th element and steel spring
fox 40 rc2 with soft spring
hope mini disc brakes
hadley front hub with competition spokes and 721
wtb super duty rear hub with competittion spokes and 729 rim.
saint cranks
easton cullys
e13 srs
xtr cassestte
xtr rd
xt shifter
easton monkey lite xc handle bars
odi rufiian grips
extension stem
thomson seat post
some crappy sele italia seat
maxxis high rollers 2.5 f/r
maxxis dh tubes

i am going to change out the rear wheel back to a hadley/ dt /721 combo, anyone wanna trade a 135 spacing hadley hub for a 150 spacong one?:)

would save quite a bit of weight chainging out the saints, 5th element and dh tubes. i am still toying with tubeless. and if i have some cash i might get some ti springs too.
lightest i could get to is around 38-39 max i think.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
biker3 you just inspired me man. looks like a new morewood for me in the future. wow that is just an awsome looking bike man. hopefully i can get mine down to 37 or 36 maybee. ohh and is that the e13 stem i see. what do you think of that thing it looks totally badass.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
hell yeh man deffinatly stocked about it now i just got to come up with the cash for my crazy build, and find out how in the hell i can get the frame. ohh and can i ask why you opted to not go with the floating brake on the frame. well thanks for the info man and damn dude that thing looks HOT.

ohh and tom how does the double barrel perfome on the frame as well. how much of an improvement is it over the swinger. well thanks fellas and sorry bout doing this on this thread it just kinda fit lol. as soon as i get mine built it will be on here as well.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
frznnomad said:
hell yeh man deffinatly stocked about it now i just got to come up with the cash for my crazy build, and find out how in the hell i can get the frame. ohh and can i ask why you opted to not go with the floating brake on the frame. well thanks for the info man and damn dude that thing looks HOT.
No floater saves weight.