Quantcast

IS SUB 40 lbs POSSIBLE? How

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
With a new seatpost and chainring you could save even more weight. Those are the 2 heavy areas I see. Man, anywhere under 40 # is good for a Demo.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Bicyclist said:
With a new seatpost and chainring you could save even more weight. Those are the 2 heavy areas I see. Man, anywhere under 40 # is good for a Demo.
Those areas will be addressed very soon. :evil:

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
WheelieMan said:
It says 17kg on their site. 17kg=37.5lbs Pretty darn impressive.
Still don't believe it, although I could be wrong. The posted weights on most bikes are less than what it actually weighs. 37.5lbs is VERY light for a complete DH bike and there's probably only a few stock bikes that could get to under 40. In caomparison, I had a Heckler with a reasonably light build and it came in at 34. By looking at the Commencel frame, I'd guess 11lbs which with that build would easily put it over 40lbs total.

You've got to remember that 45lbs or slightly less is the most common weight for most DH bikes.

There's no way a Demo 8 is 38lbs unless it has XC wheels and a SC fork.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wayne said:

You're talking out of your ass. My Demo 8 with a steel spring, Boxxer ride, and some light stuff elsewhere is 41.25 on a digi. With a ti spring and Boxxer WC it could be down to 39-ish, and that's fully DH capable.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wayne said:
Still don't believe it, although I could be wrong. The posted weights on most bikes are less than what it actually weighs. 37.5lbs is VERY light for a complete DH bike and there's probably only a few stock bikes that could get to under 40. In caomparison, I had a Heckler with a reasonably light build and it came in at 34. By looking at the Commencel frame, I'd guess 11lbs which with that build would easily put it over 40lbs total.

You've got to remember that 45lbs or slightly less is the most common weight for most DH bikes.

So you can tell by looking at any frame how much it weighs? My 224 looks much heavier then it is...yet it weighs under 36lbs (easily). It can go under 35 or something if I wanna get silly.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Wayne said:
What's the weight of the frame and your build? I was thinking those frames are about 12lbs. Am I wrong?
I weighed it before I built it. I wanna say it was 11.4 out of the box with both of those neoprene guards and crap and a steel spring. Trust me, I was as shocked as you are that it's that light.

**I'd like to add that the '06 Boxxer weighs 6.3 lbs out of the box with uncut steerer, both crowns, and axle. fyi.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The frame is tanky, yes.

My build is:

-2005 Demo 8
-2005 RS Boxxer Ride
-Swinger 4-way, 450# steel spring
-Singletracks on Marzocchi F, XT rear hubs w/ 15.16g spokes and alloy nips
-XT cranks, xtr bb (new style)
-Mrp System 1 w/ no plates
-Truvativ 38t ring w/ short chainring bolts
-Maxxis 2.5 High Rollers, 50a
-Specialized 1.5-2.2 PV tubes
-Specialized rim strips
-Tioga MX Pro pedals
-Thomson 70mm stem, 31.8mm
-Specialized Demo Rise bar
-Hayes HFX-9 HD brakes, 8" F, 6" R
-Ultegra 12-25 cassette
-105 derailleur
-LX R shifter
-SDG I-beam post cut short
-SDG I-fly tiny ass seat
-Bolt on seat clamp
-CK headset w/ carbon spacers and 5g milled top cap

41.25 on a digi scale last week at a few feet above sea level.

With a ti spring and 66RC2X it'll be damn light...

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Transcend said:
So you can tell by looking at any frame how much it weighs? My 224 looks much heavier then it is...yet it weighs under 36lbs (easily). It can go under 35 or something if I wanna get silly.
Sometimes, although anyone should be able to.

What's the frame weight of your 224? What fork are you running, Wheels? Parts? Again I'll go back to my Heckler with a Psylo, 721's, Thomson, King, 2.2 folding tubeless tires, etc - 34lbs. With all the stuff you must be using to make it DH worthy, its only ~2lbs more than that? Hmmmm..... Ok.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wayne said:
Sometimes, although anyone should be able to.

What's the frame weight of your 224? What fork are you running, Wheels? Parts? Again I'll go back to my Heckler with a Psylo, 721's, Thomson, King, 2.2 folding tubeless tires, etc - 34lbs. With all the stuff you must be using to make it DH worthy, its only ~2lbs more than that? Hmmmm..... Ok.
721s, hadley, sram, fox 40, truvativ, thomson, michelin 2.5s. There is not a single thing that isn't standard Dh build. not a single lightweight or overpriced part.

Thanks for proving my point, you would have absolutely no idea how much it weighs.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
motomike said:
I weighed it before I built it. I wanna say it was 11.4 out of the box with both of those neoprene guards and crap and a steel spring. Trust me, I was as shocked as you are that it's that light.

**I'd like to add that the '06 Boxxer weighs 6.3 lbs out of the box with uncut steerer, both crowns, and axle. fyi.
I was a few ounces off.

I just weighed my '05 Boxxer Team and it was 7.2lbs with a flat crown and cut steerer and axle.

I'm just saying that if you look at the sheer amount of material on some frames, while still using the same materials, there's very little chance that a DH frame will be so light as some people may claim. No offense intended. Like the 224, compare that with an Appalache and tell me the Orange is lighter. I would have to see it to believe it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wayne said:
I was a few ounces off.

I just weighed my '05 Boxxer Team and it was 7.4lbs with a flat crown and cut steerer and axle.

I'm just saying that if you look at the sheer amount of material on some frames, while still using the same materials, there's very little chance that a DH frame will be so light as some people may claim. No offense intended. Like the 224, compare that with an Appalache and tell me the Orange is lighter. I would have to see it to believe it.
The 224s are under 9lbs, and the 22x line has been known as pretty much the lightest weight bike out there for the last 3-4 years.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Transcend said:
721s, hadley, sram, fox 40, truvativ, thomson, michelin 2.5s. There is not a single thing that isn't standard Dh build. not a single lightweight or overpriced part.

Thanks for proving my point, you would have absolutely no idea how much it weighs.
So your frame would be about 6lbs then?

With your parts listed, which is what I ran last year (other than a Boxxer Team), my Devinci Ollie frame was 10.5lbs and the total weight was almost 43. Where are you saving the weight?

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
So how are you saving about 7lbs+ over the build I listed? BTW, Looking at what you're running, I had the exact same parts spec with a fork that's probably equal in weight to the Fox. Thanks for proving my point.;)

Peaty's 223 is not your 224 now is it?

Another example, a friend of mine has a newer V10 which is about 10.5lbs right? He has a one piece carbon post and saddle made, he has ti hardware almost throughout, a Boxxer WC air, and a smattering of light & expensive parts. His total weight is about 39.5lbs.

I still need convincing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wayne said:
So how are you saving about 7lbs+ over the build I listed?

Peaty's 223 is not your 224 now is it?

Another example, a friend of mine has a newer V10 which is about 10.5lbs right? He has a one piece carbon post and saddle made, he has ti hardware almost throughout, a Boxxer WC air, and a smattering of light & expensive parts. His total weight is about 39.5lbs.
1 - we have orange factory team bikes.
2 - no, his 223 frame weighed more then my 224.

I don't particularly care whether you believe it or not to be quite honest. 223s with floating brakes and the same build the bikes were about 37.5. Remove 1lb floater, remove 3/4lb from frame.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Some of the most ungodly amounts of weight can be dropped in the wheel/tire/tube/tubeless department.

example: I dropped 4.5 lbs off a friends bike by switching out his 2.5/2.7 Minions with DH tubes for 2.35/2.5 Minions with XC tubes. Anything's possible.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
motomike said:
Some of the most ungodly amounts of weight can be dropped in the wheel/tire/tube/tubeless department.

example: I dropped 4.5 lbs off a friends bike by switching out his 2.5/2.7 Minions with DH tubes for 2.35/2.5 Minions with XC tubes. Anything's possible.
I agree with that for sure. I was using a 721 with a Maxxis 2.5 folding dual ply casing set up tubeless for my front wheel. It was pretty damn light but still usable in the worst of conditions.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Kenda nevegal/bg 2.7's weigh 1400g, the 2.5 folding weigh 700g thats almost 1.75lb savings per tire, the 2.35 rear dh and 2.5dh front are still considerably lighter than the 2.7.
Tubeless is an ton lighter as well as alot less rolling resistance.
Both my bikes are similiar builds.
I run folding blue/nev. in a tubeless set up (stans) and have had zero problems yet.
Tubeless is a good thing yeah people have problems but I have heard alot more problems with snake bites than problems with tubeless (done right).

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Wayne pull out,pull out,you're going down,back pedal,he's right, they're that frickin light.Save face pull out. Only things close are maybee VP-free and M3,even a bullet is heavier.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
motomike said:

speaking of your tires....I believe we have something to replace those useless things with...:cool:

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
no skid marks said:
Wayne pull out,pull out,you're going down,back pedal,he's right, they're that frickin light.Save face pull out. Only things close are maybee VP-free and M3,even a bullet is heavier.
Maybe he is. I'm ok with that. I'm not out to stir things up, the numbers just don't seem to work.

What's the actual weight of the 224 frame? A friend of mine has a 223 that he says weighs 9.5lbs, which seems realistic. With stock DH components, a DH fork, there's little chance that a full DH bike is going to be 35lbs.

Case in point, I had a SC V10 a couple of years back with a stock, albeit light, build kit on it - it came in at 43-44lbs on what seemed to be an accurate scale. Met several people with the same bike, almost identical builds as mine, they're claiming 39-40lbs. So if you're claiming a 35 DH bike with stock components, you can see why I question it.

I've been around a long time and I've seen it all - No back pedallin' here, its just the broomstick up my ass. ;)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
kay, i'm a big weenie. every part was weighed individually on a digital scale:

more light stuff coming: carbon seat & post, ali stem & boxxer wc.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Wayne said:
^Nice build, and an accurate weight. Where did you source out your ti bolts?
tanx. most bolts came from racebolts.com. some from hyperbolts.com.

i'm a bit surprised about the claimed weight of peaty's build as well - especially given some of the parts he was running (diabolus). adding up the parts on his bike, the frame would have to be sub 6lbs to hit 35lbs total weight. are the factory frames that paper thin?

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
Transcend said:
1 - we have orange factory team bikes.
2 - no, his 223 frame weighed more then my 224.

I don't particularly care whether you believe it or not to be quite honest. 223s with floating brakes and the same build the bikes were about 37.5. Remove 1lb floater, remove 3/4lb from frame.
So your frame is like the Intense Factory M3?? with a thiner layer of aluminium, meanign it would be harder for a comon 224 owner to reach that weight?
cheers

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
xy9ine said:
tanx. most bolts came from racebolts.com. some from hyperbolts.com.

i'm a bit surprised about the claimed weight of peaty's build as well - especially given some of the parts he was running (diabolus). adding up the parts on his bike, the frame would have to be sub 6lbs to hit 35lbs total weight. are the factory frames that paper thin?

Maybe his bike was made from a magical metal-like substance that fell to earth one day and landed in the Orange Bikes parking lot. Maybe its actually paper mache over an internal skeleton of matchsticks?

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
Wayne said:
Maybe his bike was made from a magical metal-like substance that fell to earth one day and landed in the Orange Bikes parking lot. Maybe its actually paper mache over an internal skeleton of matchsticks?
Men, with all due respect, mind your own business! turn off your sarcasm button.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
la_cleta said:
So your frame is like the Intense Factory M3?? with a thiner layer of aluminium, meanign it would be harder for a comon 224 owner to reach that weight?
cheers
Not this year, last year, yes.

The 224 stock frame just happens to be lighter then the modified 223.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wayne said:
Maybe you actually need to know what you are talking about?

The worlds 223 went as far as using bladed ti road spokes, all grease removed from hubs, ti everything etc. Andy went ape**** on his bike.

edit: it also included carbon nonsense including BB derrailleur, shifter, heavily modified MRP, ti springs in boxxer, ti shock spring, tubeless.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
My Turner DHR weighs just under 40 pounds.

I am running...
DH40RC2
Pushed Vanilla RC
823 rims to Hadley hubs
Michelin Rubber
x.9 shifter/x.0 der.
I beam Bel Air ST
Truvativ Holzfeller bar
Easton Vice Stem
Holzfeller Cranks
Mallet M pedals
Truvativ Chainguide
El Camino Brakes

Eventually, I will be running an e.13 LG1, Xt Hollowtech cranks, and a Ti Spring. Im hoping for 38 pounds.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Red Bull said:
12.3 Pounds.

However that is a lightweight build, and It is plenty burly for me at 150 pounds.
Ok, now I find this hard to believe. Unless my digital scale is out of whack, I'm not sure how you build the DHR under 40lbs with your build. BTW, mine is an Uzzi VPX (frame weighs 10.5 lbs).