Quantcast

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
"Jackass" star Ryan Dunn and a passenger in his car died of "blunt and thermal trauma" when the 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 crashed and caught fire on a Pennsylvania highway early Monday, according to the autopsy report released Tuesday.....
Toxicology results, which should show if Dunn was intoxicated, will not be available for several weeks, according to the Chester County coroner's office.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/06/21/ryan.dunn.autopsy/index.html?iref=NS1

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Roger Ebert said:
"Friends don't let jackasses drink and drive."
:rofl:

Whoops.

110mph on public roads - Fail
110mph on a 4-lane road with no center divider - Fail
110mph on a 4-lane road with no center divider after drinking *anything* - Fail
110mph on a 4-lane road with no center divider and drunk (?) - MASSIVE Fail

And yeah, I'm a little curious about that second set of skid marks in the left hand lane as well........

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I'm also amazed that this has gone on for 4 pages without anyone mentioning snap-oversteer in a rear-engined Porsche and it's tendency to kill people (particularly celebrities).
I think the sudden amounts of traction when the throttle lifted is the main problem. Not that I would know **** about driving a MR car, but this video is my evidence.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm also amazed that this has gone on for 4 pages without anyone mentioning snap-oversteer in a rear-engined Porsche and it's tendency to kill people (particularly celebrities).
I was thinking about something ironic about how he was the new James Dean when I saw the thread but could come up with the right punch line.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I think the sudden amounts of traction when the throttle lifted is the main problem. Not that I would know **** about driving a MR car, but this video is my evidence.

Porsche (911s) are Rear Engine cars, which means that the engine is actually placed behind the rear axle. They're far less likely to experience snap-oversteer thanks to suspension/electronic goodies than they were in the past, but apparently the pre-1990 (1985? 1980?) 911s were pretty much guaranteed to kill you at some point.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Had he survived he could have had a bright future in massachusetts politics...if he ever wanted to move

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Anyone who drinks at one time or another HAS driven drunk whether you admit it or not. If it was your dad, brother, friend, or the local postman you would save any witty punchlines. I'm not saying mourn the dude, just have some respect.
What other class of felons do you respect?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
it's Pennsyltucky. PennDOT is legally required to put skid marks on roads after they are paved and before they are re-opened to the public.
I used to watch them do that when I was on scene towing the wreck. The troopers would back up a ways then haul ass into a full blown 4 wheel skid to estimate the speed.

But I think the brakes on the GT3 are a little better than the cop car, so they may need to pad the numbers.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I used to watch them do that when I was on scene towing the wreck. The troopers would back up a ways then haul ass into a full blown 4 wheel skid to estimate the speed.

But I think the brakes on the GT3 are a little better than the cop car, so they may need to pad the numbers.
But still not good enough apparently. :think:

Anyone who drinks at one time or another HAS driven drunk whether you admit it or not. If it was your dad, brother, friend, or the local postman you would save any witty punchlines. I'm not saying mourn the dude, just have some respect.
Wrong. I don't. There's no excuse. I either ride with a DD or don't drink. Is it really that hard? I don't understand how people go out knowing they are going to drink without a plan.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wrong. I don't. There's no excuse. I either ride with a DD or don't drink. Is it really that hard? I don't understand how people go out knowing they are going to drink without a plan.
This.

I don't drink when I go out because SOMEONE should be able to drive. If I have a ride, or have other arrangements, then I'll drink. Portland is awesome for bar hopping on the train. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

a friend once referred to me as the safest drunk driver he knew. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

PennDOT once paved over a deer carcess. No joke.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004

My bicycle won't do 110mph when I'm sober *or* drunk, and that's the reason I take it out when I'm bar-hopping. And if the worst happens and I die in a drunken accident, I know that I won't take my best friend/some random family out with me...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I openly support drunken cycling, does that make me a bad person?

I can see the headlines now

"local man goes off road after leaving bar at 3:30 AM, flew 2' into the woods before hitting a tree and bruising shoulder"

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wish I had a dollar for every time I puked on the MAX.
And all the good bars are in fareless square!

I have only puked ON the MAX once, but I have gotten off the MAX many times to puke, then caught the next one. With all the new lines running through downtown, there are a lot of trains to catch. Pretty sweet setup.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I openly support drunken cycling, does that make me a bad person?

I can see the headlines now

"local man goes off road after leaving bar at 3:30 AM, flew 2' into the woods before hitting a tree and bruising shoulder"
I don't know about other states, but you can get a DWI while riding a bicycle drunk here in Cali, which is lame. I live close to downtown and it's easy to ride down on your bike and a hell of a lot safer for bar hopping. I guess the reasoning is you are 'supposed' to be riding in the street and following all the other rules of the road, which never seem to apply to beach cruisers.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hey, Ryan Dunn is not a friend of mine and he ain't yours either, and this is an anonymous intraweb forum too. Don't expect too much decorum.

And yeah, I driven drunk before. I had 5 whiskeys in 3 hours, then I drove the 2.5 miles home on industrial back streets doing no more than 25mph. That was 4 years ago.

I'm taking what I can from his death, which is the utter stupidity and how easily it could have been avoided.

Besides the extremely fast car and the irresponsible lifestyle, the other thing you should realize about the people who get a dui or a drunken wreck: this isn't the first time they have driven drunk.

Dunn was way too casual about his and his passenger's safety, and you know the rest...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
So much gold in this thread.

The conductor wishes he had a dollar for every time I puked on the MAX.
Ftfy.

unless a random family in a car has to swerve to miss you?
Bike paths, my friend. Bike paths.

I don't know about other states, but you can get a DWI while riding a bicycle drunk here in Cali, which is lame. I live close to downtown and it's easy to ride down on your bike and a hell of a lot safer for bar hopping. I guess the reasoning is you are 'supposed' to be riding in the street and following all the other rules of the road, which never seem to apply to beach cruisers.
Quote from a police officer here in Madison:

“As far as OWI (operation while intoxicated) while on a bicycle, there is no such thing,” said Sgt. Eric Tripke, who heads the police department’s Traffic Enforcement Safety Team.

I plan on getting that made up in to t-shirts. :thumb: