Quantcast

Les Gets 2022 - World Champs!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
bit of a course preview by the frenchies...

looks like there's been some pretty substantial changes, and the conditions look like they could be vastly different... when's the race again?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just saw Wyn didn't get a slot on the NZ team due to not enough UCI points for their selection criteria. Lame.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
New rule: In UCI Mountain biking events, you must jump over a cow. XC, Short Track, DH, doesn't matter. Or at least not die by hitting one :D

I can say that cuz I've done both. Just not at an UCI event :)

*If you watch the Frenchie video posted above, you should get that that's a joke.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
New rule: In UCI Mountain biking events, you must jump over a cow. XC, Short Track, DH, doesn't matter. Or at least not die by hitting one :D

I can say that cuz I've done both. Just not at an UCI event :)

*If you watch the Frenchie video posted above, you should get that that's a joke.
Since all the bike parks around here are on farmers’ land, we usually have 3-6 days a year of cows on trails. Somehow we manage to coexist just like the bears in Whistler!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Just saw Wyn didn't get a slot on the NZ team due to not enough UCI points for their selection criteria. Lame.
We really need to take downhill and enduro away from UCI and it's local affiliates as unless you're French it's a shitshow. I remember a friend of mine trying to race and the local organization didn't send the required info to the UCI so he couldn't race...Also I am still mad for getting a DQ for asking for my time with a beer bottle in my hand. Apparently beer is doping.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
We really need to take downhill and enduro away from UCI and it's local affiliates as unless you're French it's a shitshow. I remember a friend of mine trying to race and the local organization didn't send the required info to the UCI so he couldn't race...Also I am still mad for getting a DQ for asking for my time with a beer bottle in my hand. Apparently beer is doping.
In this case it sounds like unless you live in NZ and get nationals points and UCI points there you can't race for them. Wyn lives in Germany now so couldn't get home to qualify on the Nationals etc.

Anyways, long story short - shit sucks. Hopefully they bend the rules a bit. Seems the UCI like to pick some clueless fuckers to pick the Worlds nominations.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
In this case it sounds like unless you live in NZ and get nationals points and UCI points there you can't race for them. Wyn lives in Germany now so couldn't get home to qualify on the Nationals etc.

Anyways, long story short - shit sucks. Hopefully they bend the rules a bit. Seems the UCI like to pick some clueless fuckers to pick the Worlds nominations.
Wyn lives in England now. Do you recognise the name of the guys who made the NZ team ahead of him?

Re: UCI rankings, a few years ago a friend of mine was ranked I think high eighties or low nineties in the world in DH and he has never raced or attempted to qualify for a world cup.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Yeah this rule sucks. He notified them about it but it's not the first time a local cycling body screwed a rider. I remember there being some outrage about some British Cycling decisions too.

The idea that you need local points is moronic though. Especially since I'm pretty sure quite a few athletes moved out from NZ when they were on total lockdown because that was the only way they could compete.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Wyn lives in England now. Do you recognise the name of the guys who made the NZ team ahead of him?

Re: UCI rankings, a few years ago a friend of mine was ranked I think high eighties or low nineties in the world in DH and he has never raced or attempted to qualify for a world cup.
Ah yeah if you race frequently on smaller races you may end up with way more points than people who mostly focus on the world cups but don't place highly enough. I remember browsing the UCI rankins a few years ago and seeing some really unknown names and some people who were around 10th in the world cup standings 1st or 2nd due to taking on extra races.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Gotta root for Finn after St Anne, he gave the entire sport and all the fans a gift that day, It was only a bike race but it felt like so much more.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Forbidden rider Connor Fearon out for Les Gets with concussion.

New Commencal rider Fonnor Cearon cleared to ride World Champs.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
There is a Peter Sagan (Slovakia) racing E-XC Elite (eMTB). There is also a Hugo Pigeon racing the same category. Will the commentator yell "look at Hugo Pigeon, he is flying!"?

I'm a dad and I am allowed to make such jokes.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I did find Ice Mnt.Biking on SCI channel after being on the phone with tech support to turn over every stone and rice bowl found on Earth.

Avy
I eat rice every single day Avy. Do not turn over a rice bowl Avy. Clean up is difficult my friend Avy.

Bike078

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
And what and how do I get the VPN? Damit to Hell.

Avy
Found it on Red Bull TV's app:

And it looks like just for once living in a third world country won't suck!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
so @Avy . to watch for free. download a trial free vpn app like "free vpn". set your location to somewhere random like japan or brazil or thailand, etc., where the stream isn't blocked, then open your redbull app and watch.

also, i'm pretty sure if you wait a few days pinkbike will put out a "how to watch world champs" article like they always do.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Just VPN it. Probably easier than all the "get nbc sports via this 12313 not at all difficult steps". It's still NBC sports right? I don't get how that TV channel doesn't collapse with how bad it is to work with them (I know people who sold them global rights to programmes and don't know where and how you can watch it...)

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
so @Avy . to watch for free. download a trial free vpn app like "free vpn". set your location to somewhere random like japan or brazil or thailand, etc., where the stream isn't blocked, then open your redbull app and watch.

also, i'm pretty sure if you wait a few days pinkbike will put out a "how to watch world champs" article like they always do.
So those of us in USA Have to VPN even though it is on the RedBull app correct? It is not showing Live correct?
Thank You for the info.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I eat rice every single day Avy. Do not turn over a rice bowl Avy. Clean up is difficult my friend Avy.

Bike078
Ok Brother,I won’t turn over a Rice Bowl. Have you seen the Movie Pulp Fiction? That is where I stole the line from.

Avy

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Alright,let us talk now about who is gonna Win. I got Gwin,Greenland,Benoit Top 3.

Avy
Who knows with these one day races Avy. Finn is fast and on form, so is Greenland, Kerr and Kolb, current champ Minnaar might do goat-like things, Brosnan may remember he is Mr. Consistent. Hard to look past Amaury, he'll go all out at World Champs then turn his attention to the overall at Val di Sole having choked at MSA. So yes, Gwin has a chance of winning.