Quantcast

Les Gets 2022 - World Champs!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Remind me: How does "Qualifying" work at World Champs?

For finals day, I thought they went by ranking/number plate and "Qualifying" was more like a timed training thing?

Give me some Prevagen, my brain is failing me....

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Remind me: How does "Qualifying" work at World Champs?

For finals day, I thought they went by ranking/number plate and "Qualifying" was more like a timed training thing?

Give me some Prevagen, my brain is failing me....
there's a limited number that goes to finals (80 in men's?), so as per the name, qualifying to actually race.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yup. Expres VPN it is. Kinda annoyed it doesn't appear in appletv app store but will just cast it.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
just installed it on my phone and will cast…. Firestick browse was making me angry.
How do you know it will cast? I am going with Japan,but when I click on the RedBull app,nothing really happens. I was thinking it won’t work till Saturday,but it seems you know it will cast?

Avy

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Nah, they all race. That is why you see Jamaican bobsled skill level when it first starts.
I remember thinking people were going to die that year it was at Val di sole.
granted, there certainly is a range of talent on display, given the rider selection process limitations, but there is a hard cap on finals numbers. ie:

For all DHI events (Men Elite, Women Elite, Men Junior and Women Junior), riders are required to ride in the qualifying round. The number of riders qualifying for the final are as follows: - Men Elite: top 80 riders in the qualifying round - Women Elite: top 40 riders in the qualifying round - Men Junior: top 60 riders in the qualifying round - Women Junior: top 15 riders in the qualifying round

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That is why you see Jamaican bobsled skill level when it first starts
Anyone remember Warner commentating for worlds (Freecaster?) making absolutely no attempt not to laugh and comment on the speed, action and displays of skill of the first riders coming down the hill. Today's woke crew would have a fit at his er... interperitation of their names and various "Warnerisms"

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
granted, there certainly is a range of talent on display, given the rider selection process limitations, but there is a hard cap on finals numbers. ie:

For all DHI events (Men Elite, Women Elite, Men Junior and Women Junior), riders are required to ride in the qualifying round. The number of riders qualifying for the final are as follows: - Men Elite: top 80 riders in the qualifying round - Women Elite: top 40 riders in the qualifying round - Men Junior: top 60 riders in the qualifying round - Women Junior: top 15 riders in the qualifying round
Well, that would mean Danny Hart who finished 105th and Greenland who DNFed is out and not racing.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Anyone remember Warner commentating for worlds (Freecaster?) making absolutely no attempt not to laugh and comment on the speed, action and displays of skill of the first riders coming down the hill. Today's woke crew would have a fit at his er... interperitation of their names and various "Warnerisms"
Yes, it was awesome.
They looked like all of us coming down a World Cup track with Rob commentating.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Oh yeah, Rob and Nigel's commentary on Hart's winning run in the rain at Champery gets all the play, but Rob's commentary on the early riders in the start order was hilarious.

I do remember one quote during a women's race where he said something to the effect of, "This is not slow motion you're watching, it's actually how fast they're going."

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Well, that would mean Danny Hart who finished 105th and Greenland who DNFed is out and not racing.
Sounds like Hart took some dirt samples.

I 'kin hate how Instacrap wants me to be logged in to look at anything, no I don't want an account.

I presume this shows his crash:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oh yeah, Rob and Nigel's commentary on Hart's winning run in the rain at Champery gets all the play, but Rob's commentary on the early riders in the start order was hilarious.

I do remember one quote during a women's race where he said something to the effect of, "This is not slow motion you're watching, it's actually how fast they're going."
BITD while Rob was in top 10 WC overall for some reason he ended up with super early start time himself and had to pass 7 riders from outlying nations during his run. His comments on that day were priceless.
Luckily for him any incriminating VHS tapes should be well and truly buried in landfill by now

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Likely a dumb question from this old guy who can't work his VCR/VPN, but does anyone recall if Redbull will have a replay option that anyone can watch with the app? Doubt it, just not looking forward to going to Papua New Guinea

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Nah, they all race. That is why you see Jamaican bobsled skill level when it first starts.
I remember thinking people were going to die that year it was at Val di sole.
That's what I thought, but couldn't remember if they changed the rules.

I do remember some seriously slow dudes being broadcasted during the Freecaster days. But that was a while ago.

I mean, if my cycling body (Durka-durka-stan (thanks South Park)) thought I was good enough to go to world's, I'd go. No matter how slow I really was compared to the real world cup racers.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Was pleased to see Williams had beaten Goldstone in the qually timing by 4s, then just discovered Goldstone had a crash in his run that probably lost him that 4s.
2m45s in:

edit: weird that the video is now hidden, it was posted by the UCI on their feed...

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Is he not also riding with a minor (leg) injury?

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
How do you know it will cast? I am going with Japan,but when I click on the RedBull app,nothing really happens. I was thinking it won’t work till Saturday,but it seems you know it will cast?

Avy
Im mainly going off my experience from last year. Logged on from France and the website came up in French.

There was also not “Georestricted” tag like you see in Canada.
It also showed the countdown as you would see for a normal broadcast.
I am optimistic.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Was pleased to see Williams had beaten Goldstone in the qually timing by 4s, then just discovered Goldstone had a crash in his run that probably lost him that 4s.
2m45s in:

Damn it must be so fuggin slippery. Looks like he almost high sided another berm just after getting back on his bike.

I also wonder how doable those big tables at the end would be if it truly pissed rain, as it doesn't look like any of them are easily clearing them and its obviously bone dry now.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Damn it must be so fuggin slippery. Looks like he almost high sided another berm just after getting back on his bike.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I also wonder how doable those big tables at the end would be if it truly pissed rain, as it doesn't look like any of them are easily clearing them and its obviously bone dry now.
I think Kerr cased the final one on his first practice run, now he seems to be having to launch it to the moon to get over it. I haven't seen any side footage to see how high riders are getting.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Im mainly going off my experience from last year. Logged on from France and the website came up in French.

There was also not “Georestricted” tag like you see in Canada.
It also showed the countdown as you would see for a normal broadcast.
I am optimistic.
Thanks,I have logged on off on RedBull a hundred times but it still says Geo? The Proton VPN Japan says 100% connected. Not sure what is going on? Should I reboot the iPad?

Avy

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks,I have logged on off on RedBull a hundred times but it still says Geo? The Proton VPN Japan says 100% connected. Not sure what is going on? Should I reboot the iPad?

Avy
Turn off any GPS or similar location stuff you have on your device or block the app from knowledge of your location

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Avy
Try it through the browser instead of the app

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

Avy
Pick a country that is on the approved list, like the UK. As far as I can tell, Japan is not on it.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
avy. the three countries with proton are all blocked. i downloaded provado vpn and mexico should work. there is a mew thread on pb the tells you how to how to reset your redbull app settings (or maybe it's in one of the comments) or you could just go through the browser. good luck.

i feel less excited about world champs every year than the other races. maybe i'm not a patriot. or maybe i don't like the one and done. despite what the riders are saying i don't think the track looks all that interesting either. still good to have a race to watch.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sounds like Hart took some dirt samples.

I 'kin hate how Instacrap wants me to be logged in to look at anything, no I don't want an account.

I presume this shows his crash:
A gap into a berm is fun to ride but a bad idea for racing imho. It did cost me 2 different broken fingers on 2 separate ocasions.