Quantcast
I have a Coleman two burner which is a hell of a lot easier for us to bring than for you. I have also been drooling over this.

More thoughts:

I haven't nailed this down with Theresa and Earl yet, but I'd like to shoot for getting to Medora on the 25th, and use the 26th as a preparation/decompression day. I would presume that would include talking to Jen, food shopping, gear preparation, and the basics of life such as consuming beer and food.

For nine people, I think that a two burner stove would be a bottleneck; I think we want four burners total. I will plan to provide one.

It goes without saying that Theresa, Earl, and I will arrive with at least a couple coolers.

There are two campgrounds in Medora and a couple of cheap motels.

I'm going to hit Jen again by phone, since the shop web site seems not to be up yet.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I have a Coleman two burner which is a hell of a lot easier for us to bring than for you. I have also been drooling over this.
Shit. The wife saw that Jet boil kit and now wants one. Maybe for valentines.

For nine people, I think that a two burner stove would be a bottleneck; I think we want four burners total. I will plan to provide one.
Well, you're certainly welcome to bring a multi-burner. I will, by necessity, be equipped with at least one single burner backpacking stove, and if really needed, could probably swing the other. I'm sure @Full Trucker must be comparably equipped, and I'd bet @Nick has one as well.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Having planned many a monkeyfest, I can assure you that group meal planning is definitely less hassle on site (not too much hassle for me to plan either and I am happy to do that for us) and much more cost effective.

I would be happy to coordinate meals while we are camping (I am a teacher and have summers off so it's not going to be too hard for me to do). We have a giant cooler and smaller options as well. We also have a 2 burner coleman stove and coffee gear (french press and peculating pot). I believe we'll be towing out the camper for our trip so I could even get some non-perishables ahead of time to plan for meal and have that all in a tote for transport.

That being said, I would plan for ease of prep so nothing too crazy (cooking wise). Any food allergies I should be aware of?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Since I'll be arriving on a jet plane, I am openly stating my intentions to fully exploit your hospitality and generosity. :D
Flying into Minot?

Having planned many a monkeyfest, I can assure you that group meal planning is definitely less hassle on site (not too much hassle for me to plan either and I am happy to do that for us) and much more cost effective.

I would be happy to coordinate meals while we are camping (I am a teacher and have summers off so it's not going to be too hard for me to do). We have a giant cooler and smaller options as well. We also have a 2 burner coleman stove and coffee gear (french press and peculating pot). I believe we'll be towing out the camper for our trip so I could even get some non-perishables ahead of time to plan for meal and have that all in a tote for transport.

That being said, I would plan for ease of prep so nothing too crazy (cooking wise). Any food allergies I should be aware of?
That's incredibly generous of you, and appreciated. Perishables are whats most difficult for me on the motorcycle, so if were all in Medora sufficiently ahead of time to go shopping I have absolutely no problem doing meal planning there. I'll eat pretty much anything.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Flying into Minot?

That's incredibly generous of you, and appreciated. Perishables are whats most difficult for me on the motorcycle, so if were all in Medora sufficiently ahead of time to go shopping I have absolutely no problem doing meal planning there. I'll eat pretty much anything.
Hey, I am the Mama Monkey...it's what I do! ;)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I have not started planning this in detail yet. I guess I'll have the bike shipped to our nice guides, fly somewhere relatively close, rent a car, drive to the place, ride with you guys.
There is also the possibility of flying in to Denver and driving up with me and Nick. Shenanigans and hilarity will certainly ensue.

Last edited:
I have been hanging back on seeking more trip particulars until Dakota Cyclery got its web site back up. I called Jen and it's up, but it's sort of sparse on the particulars we're seeking. The Shuttles and About tabs offer a little, but I guess I need to put together a set of questions and get it to Jen. I'll do that by email, and copy all who have sent me their email.

Prep day:
  • Friday, August 26th
Riding days:
  • Saturday, August 27th
  • Sunday, August 28th
  • Monday, August 29th
Recovery day:
  • Tuesday, August 30th

Didn't discuss the options on site, because site was not up at the time.

Cost per head, based on nine riders is $163, if I didn't misunderstand anything. $50 deposit; non-refundable, but remains as credit should you choose to reschedule.

DC schleps our gear, including coolers, which they keep supplied with ice. Don't overpack.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Haven't been on this site in like a decade. Still lots of familiar faces. Just wanted to wish you all a great trip. One of the few bright spots in our barren state. You should have a great time.

I busted up my collarbone on the Sullys creek portion many moons ago. Even in the middle of nowhere I got a group of horseback riders to help me out. Lots of nice people around here

Kota

Chimp
Sep 18, 2015
Hi all! I'm "the local". I haven't officially signed up for this ride, but I'll join for a day or three. I plan to recruit an unsuspecting family member to help with the gear required. I can assist in any and all ways you can think of as far as local services and the owners of Dakota Cyclery are personal friends of mine.I went to the annual "Maah Daah Hey Trail Association" meeting last week and warned them of your impending descent on the trail.

Advice: on the days your ride bring your legs and your lungs and as many spare water bladders as you can drum up. And nothing else. It can all be moved for you.
It's not a technical trail. You'll mostly need strength and endurance.
This is gonna be amazing. I'm so glad you are coming!!!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
:banana:

My marriage survived the revelation of the MDH plans, now I need to make sure my body will have a chance of survival, too. What gear shall I accumulate for this crazy party on wheels?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
:banana:

My marriage survived the revelation of the MDH plans, now I need to make sure my body will have a chance of survival, too. What gear shall I accumulate for this crazy party on wheels?
http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/long-rides-what-to-bring.274982/

Seriously, there's some good info in there.

Also, where are you from again? Because we're going to need you to bring a bunch of beer from wherever that is. Beer you can't get wherever I am coming from. Yeah.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003