Quantcast

Meanwhile, back at the Flowpark...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I was finally able to make it down there today for the first time since the questionable double section up top was discussed in another thread. The double itself isn't so bad. Sure, it's big but it's not impossible to clear for a decent rider. Big B - you'll be glad to know that it's firmed up pretty good as of today. The berm that leads to that section is nice and packed as well. This means you can ramp up the speed pretty good coming into that section. Before the berm appeared, you could only go as fast as your tires and handling skills would allow you to. Good stuff.
I was a little miffed at the two whoop-like things along the actual main line...talk about a flow-killer!!! I got busy at removing the first whoop (the smaller one) and basically pushed that dirt forward towards the second one so that it wouldn't be as abrupt as it was. Needless to say, I think I've smoothed that little problem out...for now. I'm hoping that in the future that any digger out there will take all aspects of what they're building into consideration...ESPECIALLY when it comes to the main trail. It's great building new and different things for people to hit, but when it interferes with what's already in place, well...
Instead of putting my "creative" energy to use on something new, I had to take a few hours of time to get it to where it currently is. Here's a few pics...

I also tried my hand at a few runs to test the wrist. It's better, but I've still got a little way to go before I'm hitting the big stuff again. It felt really good to leave the ground again all the same!!!

In between all of that, I managed to get a few riding pics...all of them are the first double up top.
Tyler (aka - downhillracer)

Evan (aka - ???)

Probably won't be down there tomorrow (Saturday), but next week should see me down there - RIDING!!!:dancing:

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
That jump looks like it turned out good, I was skepical at first but now I want to hit it.
Good work on fixing the main line, I to spent a long day fixing the damage done to the other lines. they made a big woop before going toward the sandy jump and made the main line and the little tiny jump of the cement there all skecty. I fixed to woop, made the main line wider and smoother and fixed the berms on main line and going toward sandy jump. Next time I see the guys who did all that I am going to try and explain the importance of not disrupting the other lines.

thanks for the pics, might head down there in a few days.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
It was worse than what I saw today? Damn. Well, thanks for doing all that you did as well.
Speaking of the sandy jump, I noticed there was a cut/berm of sorts just past the landing of that that more-or-less pointed towards the landing of the double of the top-middle line. Seemed kind of odd, IMHO.

I forgot to mention that I also reshaped the takeoff on the table gap. The lip was basically eroded and alot of people were dangerously close to flat-landing that one. It should be a little safer now, but could still use a little more attention to really get it dialed once again.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
Netguy said:
Am i missing something here? Whats a woop?

hahaha sry thats funny to me!:rofl: Have you ever watched dirtbike racing? if so you know the section of the track they go through with all the really small jumps really close together? Well if you know what im talking about those are whoops:)

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
you've ridden them for sure. you dont get any air but you dont get any traction either.

they are indeed annoying at speed. . . but you're right, trailbuilders with hikers in mind do often put them in for water control. basically dirt waterbars. They are used much less often on mtb specific trails though, and to me they really just show lazy trailbuilding that didn't account for runoff in the first place.

my parents have a place with a 1000ft downhill gravel driveway, and the mountain gets crazy storms that really tear it up, so we've put a lot of time and thought into runoff control. It takes a bit of work to get everything flowing properly, but it's well worth the effort.

Basically, every slope has a natural fall line for water, and if that happens to be on or across your trail, you're going to get rutting. rather than ride flow-destroying waterbars all the time, I think it's better to just put some extra time into routine maintainance and less obtrusive drainage techniques (real gutters, berms with drain tubes burried at the bottom, dirt/brush/rock/wood waterbreaks on the sides to funnel water away/keep runoff from entering the trail in the first place, using the camber of the trail itself to effects water flow etc).

also, filling in existing ruts with more durable material (really packing the crap out of the dirt/tossing in some gravel or rocks to shore things up) can stop the erosion problems without compromising the enjoyability of the ride.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
DBR X6 RIDER said:
I forgot to mention that I also reshaped the takeoff on the table gap. The lip was basically eroded and alot of people were dangerously close to flat-landing that one. It should be a little safer now, but could still use a little more attention to really get it dialed once again.
Ya! i think it would be better to fix it up just a little bit at a time, every week or so...that way people don't just bomb down the run and unexpectedly launch off something completely different then what they were expecting, trust me i figured that out the hard way!

- any body up for skatebarn tomarrow(sunday) late sesh 6:30-10:30?

-hey andy(dbrx6rider) remember that jump i was talking about at my house? well after a couple weeks of riding there ended up being a little golf ball sized rock in the middle of the take off, i took it out and it ended up being the size of a bowling ball...so no more jump for a while:mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
ryan/kona29 said:
Ya! i think it would be better to fix it up just a little bit at a time, every week or so...that way people don't just bomb down the run and unexpectedly launch off something completely different then what they were expecting, trust me i figured that out the hard way!

- any body up for skatebarn tomarrow(sunday) late sesh 6:30-10:30?

-hey andy(dbrx6rider) remember that jump i was talking about at my house? well after a couple weeks of riding there ended up being a little golf ball sized rock in the middle of the take off, i took it out and it ended up being the size of a bowling ball...so no more jump for a while:mumble: :mumble: :mumble:
Yeah, I wanted to make sure it wasn't a flat-lander without overdoing it. The rain today hopefully helps to solidify it somewhat. I miss being able to hit that jump (as well as several other ones down there)...soon enough.

Bummer about your jump. Next time, you should try to break it down with a sledgehammer.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
ya but the stupid dirt mound is like 50% dirt 50% rock. i basically made a huge trench and then got dirt from somewhere else to cover the rocks and make the lip! about the rock... it would have came out as i was chiping it, it was on the top of the mound and into the side. i got it fixed today in the rain but it is nothing like it used to be:mumble: . but time makes perfect.....right andy(wrist/flow course)!!!

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
DBR X6 RIDER said:
The double itself isn't so bad. Sure, it's big but it's not impossible to clear for a decent rider.
Interesting statement in light of last weeks untold story. A really good rider broke his neck in 2 places on the 2nd double last week. He has 4 screws in his neck now.

This guy has previously hit everything in the flow park and is a good rider.

Supposedly, he rotated over his handlebars and landed on his head.

He's going to recover and be ok, but the screws will be with him forever.

Personally, I think you guys built dirt jumps in the wrong spot, and you might want to look at the lip on the second one. As you may know, I haven't made it over the first one, so I can't speak from personal experience.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Big B said:
Interesting statement in light of last weeks untold story. A really good rider broke his neck in 2 places on the 2nd double last week. He has 4 screws in his neck now.

This guy has previously hit everything in the flow park and is a good rider.

Supposedly, he rotated over his handlebars and landed on his head.

He's going to recover and be ok, but the screws will be with him forever.

Personally, I think you guys built dirt jumps in the wrong spot, and you might want to look at the lip on the second one. As you may know, I haven't made it over the first one, so I can't speak from personal experience.
That's a drag. Healing vibes to whoever it was.:(

I don't think the size of the jump matters so much, really. I nearly tore my knee up on the smallest jump in the park. Actually, I've stacked it on most of the larger jumps and walked away relatively unscathed (knock on wood), but it seems that the smaller, more innocent stuff out there tends to put the serious hurt on me.

It sure seems like a lot of peeps have been busting themselves up out there as of late. Part of it can be chalked up to progression. The rest seems to be riders pushing themselves harder than they really should to impress others out there. At least from what I've seen.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Indeed. We knock the snot (and then some) out of ourselves, but as soon as we're able to we go back out and try our "luck" out again.

Was it the skinny between the two bridge sections about halfway down? That one always gives me a scare but I love it sooooo much!

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
It's a skinny between two stumps. Ladder up the first stump, then it changes to a log at a fairly steep angle, which turns into a ladder again at the second stump and makes a hard right that ends in a drop. I remember it begin close to the top. Not so much the middle...I think.

It was wet, and I second guessed my ability to maintain traction. And we all know what second guessing gets you. This is a sport that demands 100% commitment or your going home hurting.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Big B said:
It's a skinny between two stumps. Ladder up the first stump, then it changes to a log at a fairly steep angle, which turns into a ladder again at the second stump and makes a hard right that ends in a drop. I remember it begin close to the top. Not so much the middle...I think.

It was wet, and I second guessed my ability to maintain traction. And we all know what second guessing gets you. This is a sport that demands 100% commitment or your going home hurting.
Sounds like the one I'm talking about...I meant halfway based on starting waaaaaay up top. I've somehow managed to stay on that one every time so far. Most of the time, I feel like I'm sliding over the skinny but the bridge arrives for me just in time.
Yeah, you have to block out any negative thoughts or you'll get your ass handed to you nearly every time. Kind of like when people worry about trees when they're hitting jumps - don't look at it and more often than not you will not hit it.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
wow you guy's are having a pretty good conversation here!!! about falling on the second double... well any body can screw up on anything even if your used to the jump and feel secure on it! he could have done that just as easlly on the small table at the end if the con. were right. but just be carefull of what you are doing and do it with sense!

-my best healing vibes are to the guy that fell!!!

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
ryan/kona29 said:
i don't know?

hey DAN are you coming to the barn?:rofl:

he does have a name on here(DAN89)... i think?
No, you can't have him we're keeping him all to ourselves. jk, he just got back from a cruise so I dunno what he's doing, all I know is he's selling me his old fork tomorrow :)

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Big B are you saying that the jump was built wrong and thats why he broke his neck? Freak accendents happen, there is nothing wrong with that lip. Everytime someone hurts themsevles at whistler do you think they look at the lip as being he problem? I hit everything in the park as well. Me and my friends have hit the lip many times no problem.

I "took a look" at the lip when I hit it a bunch of times and modifed the landing. When you hurt yourself on the skinny did you blame it on the stunt being built wrong? This guy that broke himself had a choice to hit the jump or not, if he thought it looked funny he could hit one of the other 4 lines up top. Why is the big gap on the left of the table ok but a medium one at the top not ok? Saying that we built double in the wrong spot makes no sence, maybe you would like it if the park returned to the way it was when there were 2-3 lines to chose from and no doubles at all.

Oh and it seams that the first double is being done by dual suspentions, it just need to harden up like I said.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
No, you can't have him we're keeping him all to ourselves. jk, he just got back from a cruise so I dunno what he's doing, all I know is he's selling me his old fork tomorrow
his drop off? the fork that was on his stinky?

Mar 1, 2006
bonney lake
the guy who broke his neck is named Eric. i've gotten to know him through another riding buddy and have ridden with him a few times. as soon as i get some updates on how he's doing ill let you guys know.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
fuzzycatnuts said:
Big B are you saying that the jump was built wrong and thats why he broke his neck? Freak accendents happen, there is nothing wrong with that lip.
Whoa Fuzzy...take a breath. I sure got your dander up.

You have a valid point, and I won't disagree with anything you said. It wasn't my intention to insinuate that the double caused his injury. I know he doesn't blame the jump, he blames himself.

I guess I was just venting a bit and could have chosen my words better. I'm upset that my good riding buddy has gotten injured on the jumps that I was complaining about in another thread. I'm sure it's coincidence, but it was weird timing.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
cordlikesbikes said:
the guy who broke his neck is named Eric. i've gotten to know him through another riding buddy and have ridden with him a few times. as soon as i get some updates on how he's doing ill let you guys know.
are you going to the barn tonight???? if you say maybe like you allways do, you better be there or i'm gona kill your family:) .

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Yes I took it personally becuse I built the 2nd double and it sounded like you were blaming the injury on the jump.

I too have many issues with the first double as I have stated before(disrupting othere lines, moving massive amounts of dirt ect..). When I built the 2nd one I did not disrupet any other lines, it was on the side were there used to be nothing. I made sure you had plenty of speed coming of the hill. The jump did not seam out of line with the rest of the park. It was bigger than the "nutter" but smaller than the gap on the right of the table. Some people even told me that they were going to hit the one I built as a warm up for hitting the big one. I didnt know someone would build jumps before it, I just wanted to add another jump to the fence line. Another problem is that the first jump is bigger than the 2nd one and I am guessing you have to break quite a bit before it now.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
ryan/kona29 said:
ALL that matters is that it is still fun to ride out there!
True that true that!!! i broke myself out there and blame myself cause i was being dum not because it was built wrong:) O hey two weeks and i go to see the doc about my back and see if i can ride again

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
bikerpunk98199 said:
skatebarns on
2900 Lind Avenue SW
Renton, WA 98055 every one should come tonight
Dang renton is a ways away from me here in Mountlake Terrace. Anyhow do they have like bike nights or somthing? I didnt here about this place until a little while ago so im curious what its all about:wave:

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
Big B it should be BIG P !!!! sh*t happens and if you cant except that then get off the trails but dont bitch about it i broke my neck, jaw, eye socket and skull dirt jumping and i had hit the six pack at woodland park hundreds of times. So bottom line is dont hit it if your not comfortable with it as far as where the jumps are placed its harmless and your not obligated to hit them they are off to the side of the main line. The person who built the second one has good judgement and much respect for the other people that ride there. So with that said you need to progress and stop bitching aboot it because no body likes a cry baby. Besides battle wounds are fun and chicks dig scars !!!!!