Quantcast

Meanwhile, back at the Flowpark...

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
very interesting:think: if i recall my house is in close proximity to seward park if ya no what i mean ;) it just happens to be on the way back fron seward hhhhhhmmmmmmm :think: you should get back to me on that if the weather is good i maybe thinking eastside yo!!

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
hey fuzzy nuts dont going building big stuff now people might get hurt and some people might not be able to hit :rolleyes: remember progression=complaining HAHAHAHAHAHA oh i'm a dick sorry guys im j/k rock out with your cock out safety meeting at my house right now fuzzy ;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
fuzzycatnuts said:
Anyway these x-c guys came by as asked about the gap and said they tough the place was supposed to be only table tops. There has been jumps with gaps in them for more than a year now... They then asked I knew Andy(like he would not approve), I said I did, I should have told them that Andy hits all the big gaps there. They then mumbled somthing about Wick, which from my understanding doesnt care as long as the main line is still there. I dont think he is even doing races there anymore. I dont see why they cared so much, there x-c line is still there. Then on the way out one laughed and said there would be a freeway runing tough there in a few years. I dont understand why its funny, they would lose there trails as well, that take up 95% of the park.

I dont see why both types of riding cant co-exist, we should come tougher to preserve the trails for every type of mountian biking.
That was me.

Andy said something about an agreement that anything put in would be rollable, i think that went by the wayside with the first drop on the left line. What happened to that?

And i don't care about Wick, i don't care about the races, but i do care about the people that do race's ability to race. And the ability for bmx'ers to have Softies, and the Flowpark to live on.

But who are you Fuzzy? Do you have any relationship with the city of Seatac? Who's insurance is going to pay for someone who decides to sue? Even in this thread they say there are many different people doing stuff but it's a free-for-all?

And there IS going to be a freeway run thru there which will probably close the park for a while, but they don't have the money for it yet.

And it would be nice for some white rock or brick or pavers set on the original easy line to make it impossible for a newb to take a wrong line. i mean you don't have to, but it would be a smart idea. It's one thing for someone to break themselves knowing what they're getting into, but for someone who's bumbling along that's a different story...

If you go and start talking about different types of riding co-existing you should take a step back and see what's really going on. If someone breaks their ass and tries to sue the city that place is shut down for everyone on a bike.

If you disagree or argue it's all good as long as the whole point is keeping everything on the up and up for everybody.

If you want my opinion, you guys should be working more on getting on the same page. And you should pack down white gravel or pavers or bricks on the original trail so someone doesn't take a wrong line, it's undefinable now since there are so many lines.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
jumping_jesus said:
oh im kidding im sorry one day we will meet and we will laugh aboot this after it is just a bunch us with to much time on our hands
tru dat

While I don't partake in the cronic erb, my brae, I'd be happy to participate in the celebration of fermentation.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Skookum said:
That was me.

Andy said something about an agreement that anything put in would be rollable, i think that went by the wayside with the first drop on the left line. What happened to that?

I am not sure, there was a drop there when I first rode sst 2 years ago. Andy has built many of the jumps with gaps in it himself.

But who are you Fuzzy? Do you have any relationship with the city of Seatac? Who's insurance is going to pay for someone who decides to sue? Even in this thread they say there are many different people doing stuff but it's a free-for-all?

No I dont have a relationship with the city, I dont think anyone else who builds on the flowpark or softies does eather. Was the main line approved by the city before it was built? Since there is no offical agreement it is a free-for-all as you say. I would love to do somthing like they did in fall city and hood river but I dont have the time or the know how to lead the prosses of doing this, but I would deffiantly support it. Then we could regulate who, what and how things were bulit. I have done a lot of work in the last 6 months at sst, making many of the landings wider, longer and safer. I have built on small jumps and drops as well. I have worked on the main line when it was disruped it, making it wider and smoother.

And there IS going to be a freeway run thru there which will probably close the park for a while, but they don't have the money for it yet.

Yes I know this, I dont see why you and your friend found if funny.

And it would be nice for some white rock or brick or pavers set on the original easy line to make it impossible for a newb to take a wrong line. i mean you don't have to, but it would be a smart idea. It's one thing for someone to break themselves knowing what they're getting into, but for someone who's bumbling along that's a different story...

Yes your right, or even some signs saying easy way down. I have posted before asking if someone else had the resourse to make signs, I dont have a printer or anything. Someone did put up a few warning sings but they are to small. If anyone that rides sst has the resoures and time that would be great.

If you go and start talking about different types of riding co-existing you should take a step back and see what's really going on. If someone breaks their ass and tries to sue the city that place is shut down for everyone on a bike.

Yes I know, this has happend on leagal trails with no jumps that were already aproved, snoquilime and big bear as well I bealive. Hey we would could have a huge build day were we all go out and work on the landings, bigger longer safer ect.. but even on aline were there are no gaps people get hurt, just a fact of the sport.

If you disagree or argue it's all good as long as the whole point is keeping everything on the up and up for everybody.

If you want my opinion, you guys should be working more on getting on the same page. And you should pack down white gravel or pavers or bricks on the original trail so someone doesn't take a wrong line, it's undefinable now since there are so many lines.

I think it should be obvious that its not a regular trail when you come around the berm at the top and theres a 8 foot high lip. I posted before asking if anyone would make a big sign at the top, caution drops and jumps ahead ride at your own risk.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
fuzzycatnuts said:
No I dont have a relationship with the city, I dont think anyone else who builds on the flowpark or softies does eather. Was the main line approved by the city before it was built? Since there is no offical agreement it is a free-for-all as you say. I would love to do somthing like they did in fall city and hood river but I dont have the time or the know how to lead the prosses of doing this, but I would deffiantly support it. Then we could regulate who, what and how things were bulit. I have done a lot of work in the last 6 months at sst, making many of the landings wider, longer and safer. I have built on small jumps and drops as well. I have worked on the main line when it was disruped it, making it wider and smoother.
An idea would be the South Seatac Website Andy advertises. Maybe work some guidelines, work days, get everyone to meet each other and try to work together.

Softies has been around for over 10 years because it's hidden, you have to work to get to it. Flowpark is more vunerable because anyone can access it.

fuzzycatnuts said:
Yes I know this, I dont see why you and your friend found if funny.
You know i don't remember why i thought it was funny either... If our laughter put you off i apologize for that.

fuzzycatnuts said:
Yes your right, or even some signs saying easy way down. I have posted before asking if someone else had the resourse to make signs, I dont have a printer or anything. Someone did put up a few warning sings but they are to small. If anyone that rides sst has the resoures and time that would be great.
i think designating the whole area as black diamond is a given, by putting the markers in it not only preserves the original trail, but it also in my mind sufficiently satisfies the easy out.
Not only does it help eliminate a newb not getting hurt it will eliminate gawkers getting in the way. Safety for everyone....

fuzzycatnuts said:
Yes I know, this has happend on leagal trails with no jumps that were already aproved, snoquilime and big bear as well I bealive. Hey we would could have a huge build day were we all go out and work on the landings, bigger longer safer ect.. but even on aline were there are no gaps people get hurt, just a fact of the sport.
True, but it doesn't hurt to try to get everything organized and possibly better dialed in.

fuzzycatnuts said:
I think it should be obvious that its not a regular trail when you come around the berm at the top and theres a 8 foot high lip. I posted before asking if anyone would make a big sign at the top, caution drops and jumps ahead ride at your own risk.
Yah but i was riding in there before it was even legal to ride in there, the original easy flow trail was built by the XC'ers but many other trails were in there before they arrived. But when i rode thru there a couple weeks back i had no clue where the original trail was.
i remember when that place was for dirt bikes to jump.... Back in the early 70's, that's why all that sand is in the field. They used to call the place "The Sandpits"....
Anyways....
Thanks for your feedback, it's appreciated.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
cove rider said:
Nice! i havent gathered the courage for that one yet:(
I'm sure you'll get it when your ready. No hurry. There will always be a bigger jump somewhere anyway. Unless your Bender or something. Then you can go huck off the Ship Canal Bridge. That would be tough to beat.

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
Big B said:
tru dat

While I don't partake in the cronic erb, my brae, I'd be happy to participate in the celebration of fermentation.

i'm always up for good beer too someday maybe soon or maybe later but someday none the less. so if your got the balls to hit the the trail gap which you have to slower to hit then the double to hit whats up (and i am asking in the nicest way) see me i converted from dirt jumping 20"ers aboot 2-1/2 years ago after put my self in ICU for a week so it was an easy transition and i forget at times that alot of people who have gotten into freeride/dh havent always been doing stuff like that before they got into it i have a few friends like that that i ride with alot. you know honestly i was more or less just hoping you post back after the first couples post saying wow that isnt that after all its not as hard as i first thought was really trying to push your buttons so much as i was just trying to push you as a rider. like i always say it needs to be aboot 5' bigger. if you have to slow down to hit then its not big enough and if your coming up just short your not pedaling hard enough. although those style lips can pretty intimidating sometimes but so can the trail gap. the bigger the better

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
quote "skookums hella long post"

If you guys really want a sign I have some left over chip board from a wooden kicker I just made. for that matter I have enough for about 4 signs. If you want, I could put some warnings and black diamonds on it and then bring it down next time I'm at the flowpark.

I think a build day would be a good thing to do. If we got there early and closed the whole park till noon while we did maitneance, (fixing trannies, jumps, drops, and adding new stuff) then we could ride for the rest of the day and the whole place would be a lot safer and more fun. all of the cement sticking out at odd places and the tons of rocks everywhere don't really add a whole lot to the asthetic (I prolly spelled that wrong huh Skookum?) and it certainly isn't all that safe.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
Big B said:
I'm sure you'll get it when your ready. No hurry. There will always be a bigger jump somewhere anyway. Unless your Bender or something. Then you can go huck off the Ship Canal Bridge. That would be tough to beat.
True that! Im wanting to do it this summer after im healed and preferably towards the end of summer just in case i get hurt again hehehe:dead:

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I would love it if anyone brought signs to sst. I think most important at the very top entrance then the other entrance that most people start from(there is one there now but its small and easy to miss). They should say somthing like warning, drops and jumps ahead, expert riders only or somthing like that. Next it would be cool to put signs by the drops that say DROP! in big letters. Also would be good to have signs that point to the easy way down. I would do this myself but I dont have a printer or anything.

Skukoms idea of gravel and or brick is good but I dont think the time it would take is worth it considering it could be destroyed at anytime and a highway, or golf course or what ever is plained in the next few years.

I think I will plain a work day as well, I will post a date when I figure it out.

-Kim

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
fuzzycatnuts said:
I would love it if anyone brought signs to sst. I think most important at the very top entrance then the other entrance that most people start from(there is one there now but its small and easy to miss). They should say somthing like warning, drops and jumps ahead, expert riders only or somthing like that. Next it would be cool to put signs by the drops that say DROP! in big letters. Also would be good to have signs that point to the easy way down. I would do this myself but I dont have a printer or anything.
-Kim
Well if people were smart enough to go and look at the lines before they hit them we really wouldnt have a problem would we! I for one like to walk a new line even if there is a sign just so i can be prepared for what is to come.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Big B said:
Didn't DBR spend like a thousand hours engraving and painting wooden signs just to have them all torn down? Basically, signs don't exist because of vandalism.
I'm glad somebody else brought that one up - It's still a sensitive subject in my world.:mad: :mumble: :redhot:

It seems that the ones that Pip printed up have less street value or something as they seem to remain. I guess laminated print-outs are the way to go.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
DBR X6 RIDER said:
I'm glad somebody else brought that one up - It's still a sensitive subject in my world.:mad: :mumble: :redhot:

It seems that the ones that Pip printed up have less street value or something as they seem to remain. I guess laminated print-outs are the way to go.
Stupid wooden carveing sign stealing bastards:redhot:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Meh, some dorktards willed some bad karma upon themselves by doing that. I think there's still a sign or two still floating around there somewhere - in a totally different place than where it was intended, of course.
It's looking like I'm still a week away from riding at full strength so I may take some time the next time I'm there and figure out a way to cagetorize EVERYTHING down there and estimate how many of each designation are needed and figure it out from there.

Something else that would be helpful for some to identify an actual jump would be small cones/markers at takeoffs, much like Whistler.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Cones? Hell, yeah...gone within a day. I'm thinking more or less just plain wooden spikes spray-painted flourescent orange. That would be much cheaper to do as well.
just use the environment! get a couple of cans of bright orange spray paint and grab some good looking stinks(small sticks) break them to the right length, stick them into the right places and paint them!!! thats the cheapist way i can think of......:oink:

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
What about just spray painting colors on the trees next to gaps/jumps/drops that give caution to the size they really are? It really wouldn't harm much Just 2ft of a tree spray painted is not going to be an enviornmental concern IMHO.

Black blue and green. Add a good warning sign up top warning of extreme trails and we are in like sin. Ill grab the few pieces of bent sheet metal I have at work tomorrow. If I am not riding other trails Ill bring them down.