Quantcast

MTB photography Article - UPDATE pt. 3

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
How did Imanage to miss this thread for so long?!? Learned a hell of a lot just sifting through the now.

If no one objects, I'd like to offer a few shots for critiqueing (sp?):

feel free to point out the errors of my ways, very much still a newbie. A taken with a Canon 350D with either the bog standard 18-55mm lens, or a 70-300 Sigma

Happy New Year!

Mark

dondon

Monkey
Nice to see everyone stoked on MTB photography. The internet and digital cams these days definitely shortens the learning curve. For those of you without the $$$ for any off camera flashes, litter mag has a newish photo feature, keeping it simple with natural long lens photography using the biggest off camera flash known to man. The Sun. The captions share some behind the scenes info from a few guys who follow the worlds best riders around the globe each year. http://www.littermag.com/2009/photoblotto-simplicty-imperfection-in-photographs-part1/

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
ringflash = re-hash. 2002 style.

screw it, i'm going back to film in 2009.

i'd rather pack a view-camera up a hill than 4 flashes with modifiers. i might bring a bag of gunpowder up with me and a strip of rain gutter on a stick for a flash if need be.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
the ektachrome i ran the other day looked as good as anything i've got back from a lab in recent months. i'll keep running it and y'all can keep missing out.

6 bath stuff on velvia in my bathroom looked fine too. just because it sounds hard doesnt mean it will not work. i'm not up for debate on the subject though, you're all alone there.

i would be glad to argue that everyone in this thread should get a plastic camera to play with and stop worrying so damn much about off camera lighting, how many f stops your camera has and how many iso's you can fit in your bag and how girthy your portfolio is.

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Anyone have opinions on Elinchroms or Pocket Wizards? I haven't been having great luck with triggering slave flashes using the onboard flash. This is in darkish woods during the day. I'm thinking about an SU-800 IR commander as something to try. I need to know a lot more about the radio triggers before I can take the plunge on those. Camera is a D700.

kruppa

Chimp
Sep 9, 2005
My advice is to pick Pockets, Skyports are nice but Pockets are still way better. Forget about su-800 unless You'll invest in Radiopoppers and use them together. Su-800 alone won't give You any improvement over pop-up.
One thing to remember about Pockets is that You'll have to use Your flashes in manual mode. For every change in power You'll have to walk up to the flash and set it there. Radiopoppers allow You to use TTL and manual controls of the flashes from camera.
If You'll search the Youtube You will find a lot of nice tutorials on both systems