Quantcast

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Glad you're OK, collisions w/ cars are a scary thing to hear about.

Would Trek just replace the frame for you? Seems not right to declare the value as being any more than it really is to upgrade, even if being in a crash that's not your fault sucked. Seems like people advocate screwing insurance companies in a heartbeat but complain when others do the same...

Anyways, bottom line is it's a bad situation that turned out OK!

splat

Nam I am
FYI my shop called tonight to check up on me and they agree that 1.9mi on a new frame has to be a record.
what did they say when you told them you hit by a car ?

You would look awfully good on a new custom serotta. ;)
:stupid:

Would Trek just replace the frame for you? Seems not right to declare the value as being any more than it really is to upgrade, even if being in a crash that's not your fault sucked. Seems like people advocate screwing insurance companies in a heartbeat but complain when others do the same...
1) she will lose in the long run.

2) I used to think that way , Until I got rear ended stopped at a red light, totaled the car and the insurance company screwed me good. Now I say stick it to them!!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm glad to read there was no serious injury - it seems amazing that you escaped broken bones while the frame was toasted. You must be the Bionic Woman. :)

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Glad you are Okay, I bet the father is thinking it's a $200-500 dollar tops replacement.

I hope that is not the case.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Glad to see your ok, but i would get a lawyer involved, most people cant imagine the cost of an actual bike, none the less a madone. When you win, your lawyer fees should be covered by the insurance company as well anyway.

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
Scary stuff. Glad your ok.

They should probably make people ride a bike in traffic before you can get a license. Might smart'n some people up. Thought it was frightening to be on a motorcycle in traffic until i started riding a road bike.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Glad to hear you're all in one piece. I am a huge fan of destroying the bike over destroying the body! You must be a ninja.

I gotta agree with considering a lawyer. One of my friends was hit by a soccer mom some years back, and when the bill to replace his $5000 road bike came due, everyone, from the lady in the minivan to her insurance to her kids tried to balk on the deal. Ended up having to make a lot of bad noise to get his medical and his bike fixed.

Oh yea, go see a doctor. better safe than sorry after the statute of limitations runs out.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Damn! Glad to hear you are ok MBC.

1.9mile out of a Trek? I'm steering away from those then... Not very dependable are they! :)

Beautiful bike though.

I live (and was riding) in an area where $5,000 road bikes are the norm. I have faith that everything will be fine and I won't have to go TITUS on their asses :)

I have the receipt from yesterday - bike + computer (which is also trashed) = total with tax $4,547.38. That's what I spent, that's what I want. She was totally wrong, she got a ticket - there is no debate. If I feel like I'm going to get screwed, I will get a lawyer but for now I'm playing it cool.

Even the cop said "wow, that's a light bike." LOL Maybe this is a sign I should have gotten Ti!

And yeah, I am bionic :) Actually, I've been going to a personal trainer twice a week since June and all we do is core, stabilization and plyometric moves. I'm starting to wonder if that's why I'm not more sore this morning. :thumb:

Thanks everyone. As I keep telling my mom, "really, I'm ok."

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
F*cking car drivers, I'm with SS, I'm not surprised when they do something daft, I'm surprised when they don't do something daft.
That being said I was in an accident where my bike was totalled enough that insurance got me a better one but was able to salvage enough to upgrade and without being injured (badly) like you. When I'm riding now I often do panic stops to scare dumb drivers and have contemplated deliberately crashing into the driver's door of more than one car. Now if I can just work out the optimum speed for putting a big dent in their door without wrecking my wheel.......

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Glad you are Okay, I bet the father is thinking it's a $200-500 dollar tops replacement.

I hope that is not the case.
Nah, it says $4200 right on the police report. When the cop asked me, I guesstimated. He said the insurance company will replace the bike and not to worry about it. He also said to call him if there are any problems.

I think the most important thing to take out of this is that my knee is ok.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Nah, it says $4200 right on the police report. When the cop asked me, I guesstimated. He said the insurance company will replace the bike and not to worry about it. He also said to call him if there are any problems.

I think the most important thing to take out of this is that my knee is ok.
It's good that it says that, but the officer is talking out of his ass since he is not the insurance company.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
It's good that it says that, but the officer is talking out of his ass since he is not the insurance company.
Talking out of his ass? I'm guessing he has some experience dealing with accidents and such and probably has a pretty good idea of what we can expect as an outcome.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Yeah but then the bike probably would have been scratched up and MBC would be left with a brand new, scratched up road bike. Better the bike is destroyed and needs to be replaced. :monkey:
The bike breaking probably absorbed the energy of the collision and prevented serious injury. I've watched Mythbusters, I know what I'm talking about here.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
A good chance is that she didn't tense up at the time of impact, and therefore the forces of the collision were spread throughout her body. Had she tensed up, the forces would have been concentrated at the point of impact. That is why drunks never get hurt when they smash up their cars.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006

(yes, i know this is ti but i couldn't find a decal image on steel).
OT: ti is even better! i'm still dreaming of a Ti Evil Sovereign... :drool:

MBC & IAB: thank god you're both ok and well! i wish you more luck and more km's on your new bike!

splat

Nam I am
:stupid: Second the emotion. Had the frame been steel, the bike probably could have been ridden home.
While it would not have broken, I still bet it would have bent. and since the rear wheel was/is Bent and the derailleur is in the spokes, doubt she would have ridden it home.

She credits her mad MTB skillz for knowing how to fall.
You Both have lots of practice at it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Glad you're OK Randee, sucks about the bike. But if there's one thing I've learned, it's that broken bike > broken person.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Ditto on other comments: HOLY CRAP!!

I am glad you are OK! I would be playing the lotto ASAP, maybe your good luck (Not getting severely hurt or killed) will roll over to that too. :)

The bike breaking probably absorbed the energy of the collision and prevented serious injury. I've watched Mythbusters, I know what I'm talking about here.
Steel bending or carbon breaking both absorb energy. I'm not good enough at materials and mechanical engineering to be able to say which works better.

We could test by beating IRB's knee with carbon and steel frames.

I have read ridemonkey, I know what I'm talking about.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Whoa, tough break! Glad you're OK.

Dave

PS Love your FB friend that was trying to sell you a MTB, we all have those friends, "You spent what for a part for your bike whaaaaat!"

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Oh, and be extremely thankful that you're not in WI. Currently we're the last (one of the last?) states to not require car insurance, although that's finally been addressed and think it's required as of Jan 1st, 2010. I was (as a passenger) rear-ended about 6 weeks ago by an uninsured 17yo, and our driver's insurance took care of him by sending him a check (no one was injured, only vehicle damage). The insurance company then would go after the uninsured motorist directly, with the DMV getting involved if the uninsured didn't pay up. In your case I highly doubt you could get a check from your car insurance, meaning that you'd literally have to sue the motorist to get anything. Amazed that the girl's parents couldn't afford the $500/year insurance, but was able to come up with $9,000 to replace my coworker's car. Can't imagine what would've happened if there were any injuries...

But yes, with a receipt in hand from the previous day, it shouldn't be that hard to get the insurance company to pony up the cash to replace it...

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Yikes, glad you're okay MBC. Any post-hit soreness now that the adrenaline is out of the system?