Quantcast

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
IAB,
Very glad everyone is OK. Trust me, things could have been much worse.
+1. That is EXACTLY what happened to me years ago (resulting in a year of physical therapy, internal bleeding in my leg, needle drainage of said blood on multiple occasions, yadda, yadda, yadda...); only "my" driver was a middle aged woman who did the same thing - and then admitted right in front of the First Responders that she was "planning a beach trip and not paying attention to the road". :bonk:

So glad/relieved to hear MBC is okay. Sorry about that beautiful bike, but things can be replaced, she cannot. Hugs to you both.

t

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
DAMN!
Glad you are OK.

Oh, & your new destroyed bike was made just up the road from me.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I spoke to my insurance agent today and brought up your situation. He didn't offer any advice other than to contact your agent for advise... no he's not a lawyer - he just sounded like one.

An interesting thing he said was that your bike will probably be inspected by a claims adjuster - their most likely offer will be to repair the bike to original condition or total it similar to motor vehicle. If they do total it (your best case scenario) they my require you hand over the damaged goods in return for full compensation.

I thought this seemed reasonable for motorcycles, cars & trucks but how much salvage dollars will they recover from a high end bicycle? He said these types of accidents are common and there is an actual bicycle salvage industry.

I've never heard of such a thing... anyone else?

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
here in Mass she should be ok. my mom bumped a guy on a bike, and i mean bumped. he was riding against traffic, coming off a sidewalk around a blind corner thanks to the ahole at the top of the street putting up a huge ass fence. he fell over onto a set of keys that looked like it weighed 5 lbs. he gets up, no problems. mom gives him a ride home. he files a claim for injuries, can't work all that weak ass bs. insurance company settled with him for like $12k. $12K!!!!!!!!!! i told her to fight it or get the insurance company to do it. the guy was full of sh*t!!!! he even claimed she went thru a stop sign. we lived there for over 30 years and there was NEVER a stop sign there. so i don't think she should have a hard time getting the bike replaced, but if this guy is any example, she could sue for some pretty good sized money.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
All my bike accidents where caused by me and harmed no one else so I've no experience with bicycle insurance claims.

I also did a interweb search for bicycle salvage industry... nada.

No. Every customer we've had that had a bike really get jacked up by a car just got handed a check and didn't need to had over the bike or anything.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
All my bike accidents where caused by me and harmed no one else so I've no experience with bicycle insurance claims.

I also did a interweb search for bicycle salvage industry... nada.
We've had several customers come through in recent memory where the driver was at fault. All of them ended up getting enough money out of the insurance companies to replace their bike with something better than they had been on.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
When I drove my Look into the garage door, they just asked for an estimate and receipts of the replacement parts.

I called my shop yesterday and spoke with the other owner (I bought the bike from Gary but I spoke to Bill yesterday).

He said to be prepared for the insurance company to come in with some rediculously low ball number at first and to just stand firm. He said to leave all questions open ended such as:

Have you consulted an attorney?
Not at this time.

Which I thought was fantastic advice.

They are NOT going to screw this MBC......

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I called my shop yesterday and spoke with the other owner (I bought the bike from Gary but I spoke to Bill yesterday).

He said to be prepared for the insurance company to come in with some rediculously low ball number at first and to just stand firm. He said to leave all questions open ended such as:

Have you consulted an attorney?
Not at this time.

Which I thought was fantastic advice.

They are NOT going to screw this MBC......
:thumb:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
friend of mine was recently hit. i had to talk to the insurance man when he came to the shop. made sure to point out the blood splatter on the frame, and the blood on the shoes and the helmet. friend was on his death bed. pulled through, thankfully. insurance guy didn't know anything about bikes.

asshole was drunk, with prior DUI and DWIs, and blind in one eye. mother ****er swerved off the road (straight road) and hit my friend, who was helping another rider with a mechanical issue.

anywho, glad you're all ok.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
There must be some kind of bike salvage company or something, a few months ago my high end road shop burned down, and my boss filed insurance for just about every bike in the store, (had to be close to 250) for water damage, 6 towns 5 hours, He did get insurance money, but they did take every bike he filed for. I do not know what they plan to do with them, as far as im concerned they were fine, but u cant sell a wet and charred bike to a customer.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
There must be some kind of bike salvage company or something, a few months ago my high end road shop burned down, and my boss filed insurance for just about every bike in the store, (had to be close to 250) for water damage, 6 towns 5 hours, He did get insurance money, but they did take every bike he filed for. I do not know what they plan to do with them, as far as im concerned they were fine, but u cant sell a wet and charred bike to a customer.
bacon is better when crispy.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well nearly two months after MBC got PWNT, she finally got her replacement bike! It wasn't *too* much of a hassle with the driver's insurance company, but they as hell don't move very fast and they had to be "corrected" on a few things. Of course since the original bike was less than two miles old, MBC got full value of the bike, plus they added in some "Now please STFU" money. She actually ordered the new bike more than a month ago, but it just came in yesterday.

MBC felt the original black paint scheme was now cursed, so she went with white this time.

Better pic of the gnome.

As far as the specs go, the wheels are round and the cranks move in a circular motion.

Just in time for her MS150 this weekend!

:weee:

:)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have never liked Trek but man they are building some good looking bike these days. Congratulation on a hot bike and best of luck to you this time.