Quantcast

Mullet Madness

Fifty Fast

Chimp
May 7, 2021
Probably. ;) BB height and ST look sweet. HT is in the realm of personal preference / trails you ride. I don't ride stuff consistently steep enough for a 63 to feel good, 64 feels much more well rounded to me. BTW, the app "Clinometer" on iPhone will give you decimal places for angles.
Soo got a handful of rides on the Machine mullet with 2mm reverse offset plus a bunch of adjustments (stem spacers-, fork pressure-, shock pressure+, saddle position, saddle height+ etc)
Pros : snappy cornering, still pretty stable as wheelbase kinda the same, zero butt buzz on steeps,
Cons : slower in straight line vs wagon wheel which I guess is to be expected although I didnt think it would be soo much slower, changed to a faster rolling tyre (eg hans dampf) as the e13 LG's are slow as molasses, long uphills need the climb switch

No rock strikes during the period although front end didnt track very well descending initially requiring the bar to be slammed which seems to have fixed it. Am pretty close to calling this my preferred option albeit running semi slicks on the back and relying more on the front wheel for braking control.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Was heavily considering a Commencal Supreme DH 29, full permission from wife. Then the size L sold out :(

Not sure if I want the mullet version instead, it's even longer than the full 29er...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I bet we see a bunch in 2022 once global distribution is working well again.
Yeah I think mixed size wheelset offerings are lagging and affecting offerings more than we give credit for. It seems Nukeproof has delayed the release of the leaked Giga/Mega 297 models for that reason, I assume other brands are in a similar boat.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, the Giga/Mega are getting really good reviews. I think the 297 models will be really interesting. YTs have a terrible rep for customer service, so I'd never buy one personally.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah, the Giga/Mega are getting really good reviews. I think the 297 models will be really interesting. YTs have a terrible rep for customer service, so I'd never buy one personally.
I'm stoked on my Mega 275 but if they'd done a 297 I'd have bought one in a heartbeat. Best of both worlds from what I can tell.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The vid is a pile of steaming hot garbage with no riding. the company should have spend their $ on better customer service.
Yeah, the vibe that video sends is, "We're making so much $elling bikes these days we can just blow cash on non bike related bullshit."
They'd do better to keep their prices down, cuz that's what built their business in the first place.
Or spend on better customer and warranty support.
Or sponsor more riders and events.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
ohhh shit, that's rad. what is this? details!
It is a steel front end on a carbon Gambler rear end. It’s got a pretty slack head angle with a steep seat tube and currently running 180 f&r. I got a friend to make it for me and I already asked him to do another. I might have gone too slack with the headangle and I’d like to try a steeper seat tube and lighter tubing.

And yeah.... I don’t know what the Goat movie could do for launching the new bike other than get people talking about the brand? It’s the polar opposite of a tech based launch video. Is this the new norm? No more numbers? The bike looks good though.

3 minutes in I felt like I was waiting for a chainstay.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
It is a steel front end on a carbon Gambler rear end. It’s got a pretty slack head angle with a steep seat tube and currently running 180 f&r. I got a friend to make it for me and I already asked him to do another. I might have gone too slack with the headangle and I’d like to try a steeper seat tube and lighter tubing.

And yeah.... I don’t know what the Goat movie could do for launching the new bike other than get people talking about the brand? It’s the polar opposite of a tech based launch video. Is this the new norm? No more numbers? The bike looks good though.

3 minutes in I felt like I was waiting for a chainstay.
Need a 1 1/2 head tube
For offset or angle cups

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Prompted by the recent NSMB article, I added the Wreckoning v2 as a potential. Geo looks decent in "low" mode (high) with 160mm fork. If BB is too low, could go up to 170 and still be OK aside from seat tube angle. Of course, due to Evil's insistence on slack actual STA, it's probably a really lousy solution for taller riders.

Also added Yeti SB140 that Beta Magazine just did a Dream Build for. Looks ok for a mid travel whip.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Need a 1 1/2 head tube
For offset or angle cups
For sure! I agree. I have a drawer full of custom headsets for angles, offsets and both in one. I just couldn’t find an off the shelf headtube when we needed it. I got nice chunk of chromoly for the next one. 49mm top and bottom would be the best for what I already have in the drawer.

I rode it in Champery yesterday on the DH track with everyone else on DH bikes so the slackness was real good in those conditions. Didn’t feel too slack but then again I like 62.5 or 63 when it’s that steep all day.

6D5F1271-90F3-40E4-B306-75C9941A120C.jpeg

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
that truck is swiss af
Reform Muli - my Grandpa had one. Serious farming vehicle on steep and off camber alpine terrain. Loved it to ride shotgun and nearly shit my 6-year old self on the slopes he went down on it collecting mowed hay.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I do both and if I can get an air shock running good then I’m curious. I ran a coil Ohlins fully closed on a firm tune with a 525 spring on Sunday because the track was getting rougher and everyone was flying. I think I have ran out of talent on a single crown and will put a dc fork on there for next Thursday when the lifts open back up.

A few people posted gopro Footage from the weekend.

Steve Peat following some locals from Morzine
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPdwb2mljG-/?utm_medium=copy_link

Keegan Wright filmed Gauthier, a local ripper. So you guys can see the track.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPd5nRwpgX8F-rk2kKH_syEHzzvE3ke-O1W4_M0/?utm_medium=copy_link

@Flo33 The Aebi is pretty sick too. The off camber and steep stuff you can do with those is amazing!

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Transition apparently releasing a mullet option for Patrol this week according to leaked PB articles and pics.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That thing ticks a lot of boxes - mullet, metal, 1.5 head tube (Totem!) and dual crown compatible.
Cool that the chainstay grows with the frame size and they fixed the leverage curve hump as well. They didn't make them any longer in reach (Low setting) which I'd expected given what the did with the Scout but they still look damn good.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Cool that the chainstay grows with the frame size and they fixed the leverage curve hump as well. They didn't make them any longer in reach (Low setting) which I'd expected given what the did with the Scout but they still look damn good.
I wouldn't mind shorter chainstays than what they're offering on the large, but still good to see them moving to the unique cs lengths per size.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
OK, so this was a little eye opening. I was kinda feeling a little stressed and crappy, so wifey insisted I go for a short test ride with the 165 cranks and the Mullet. Felt like ass, even on the downhills, I was kind of ‘giving up’ in the middle, and sorta coasting...well damn if I didnt get a KOM I have been chasing for a few years. Granted it was only a 41 second section, but that is out of a few thousand on the most popular trails in JH. Quite twisty, but trail conditions were PERFECT for full on corner-railing without hitting the brakes.
Told me a little, this configuration hauls ass.
muy contento

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
?Question?

So a mullet set up puts the weight towards the rear....slacks head angle...if you are setting up a fork in theory the psi should change or the preload when centered will be reduced due to weight shift ..
Now I understand dialing it in will help but so should dropping the fork down I'm clamps a bit and taking the slack out a smidge yeah???

Just thoughts and I'm dialing in the fox 40 on the bike I set it as a mullet...between air and slow speed I'm having chatter issues...I have to run a lower psi with weight shift back...I love the rake and way it corners like this so dropping front would be a last resort or a wider slow speed adjustment....

240lbs raw and around 250lbs geared up...I have 70psi or so in fork and 1.75" out of 8" into sag...so 22% or so....I should be around 85 to 90psi normally...this is what got me to thinking about it...I have an avy cart in it so dialing it in any way I want is possible...but a baseline seems to be getting me on super nasty chatter...(granted it could also be the rear isn't playing nice with front end)

Just banging ideas around and mullet and weight distribution came to mind.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I was thinking the same exact thing on my ride tonight, I think I am going to drop from 170mm and try a 160 fork and see it it crisps up the steering a hair. I also have the ride9 to play with a little more.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
OK, so this was a little eye opening. I was kinda feeling a little stressed and crappy, so wifey insisted I go for a short test ride with the 165 cranks and the Mullet. Felt like ass, even on the downhills, I was kind of ‘giving up’ in the middle, and sorta coasting...well damn if I didnt get a KOM I have been chasing for a few years. Granted it was only a 41 second section, but that is out of a few thousand on the most popular trails in JH.
Told me a little, this configuration hauls ass.
muy contento
I think the theme is going to be, pretty damn fast DH, faster than straight 29 in some situations, due to front wheel inertia and better ability to turn and hold speed in the turn, combined with front-wheel roll-over. The tradeoff is slower speed than a 29er on flats and uphill, due to most of the same factors, rear wheel doesn't maintain speed due to less momentum, is more upset by bumps, etc. I thinking this will keep the niche pretty small, in that those on lower-travel bikes won't be going as aggressive DH anyway, so same size wheels is fine.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
?Question?

So a mullet set up puts the weight towards the rear....slacks head angle...if you are setting up a fork in theory the psi should change or the preload when centered will be reduced due to weight shift ..
Now I understand dialing it in will help but so should dropping the fork down I'm clamps a bit and taking the slack out a smidge yeah???

Just thoughts and I'm dialing in the fox 40 on the bike I set it as a mullet...between air and slow speed I'm having chatter issues...I have to run a lower psi
I was thinking the same exact thing on my ride tonight, I think I am going to drop from 170mm and try a 160 fork and see it it crisps up the steering a hair. I also have the ride9 to play with a little more.
I'm going to drop mine torrow lol 1/2" lol...was thinking anywhere up to an inch....can't change travel and other fork is a 40 as well...I did lower the other 40 on the m9 to get back a smidge of HA.

I'll dial it back and see where it drops as far as sag at current pressure them adjust after I set it...
If nothing else it will change the way it handles and if it's the rear interfering a bit as far as handling then at least it will correct that...I have a coil for the bike it's on air now in rear...

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Cool that the chainstay grows with the frame size...
They're actually longer (in the low setting) than the Sentinel, so why bother selling a mullet Patrol? Why not just offer a 27.5" rear wheel option and a flip chip for that bike?
Guess the new Patrol goes off my list of bikes to replace my old Patrol.

Last edited: