Quantcast

New prototype frames and build!!

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
so ive got my complete built on danscomp right now at $560 excluding the frame and wheelset. any stock wheelsets come in 24" with a cassette driver?

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
yeah thats what im gonna end up doing. 15% off on their site for black friday so ima order up my stuff this weekend.

mid bb and integrated headset right?

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
If you want 55 gear inches I recommend 26x11 or 30x13.

Cru could you PM me the colors too?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
If you want 55 gear inches I recommend 26x11 or 30x13.

Cru could you PM me the colors too?
I'm running 23X10. That gives you 55.2 and it will you give you more options on hubs that come with 10 tooth drivers. Another thing to note is that 30 tooth is the max that will fit on the frame. And since we don't have the new ones, yet, I'm not 100% sure a 30 will clear. It does clear on the prototypes, though.

Yeah, I will send you a PM.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I'm running 23X10. That gives you 55.2 and it will you give you more options on hubs that come with 10 tooth drivers. Another thing to note is that 30 tooth is the max that will fit on the frame. And since we don't have the new ones, yet, I'm not 100% sure a 30 will clear. It does clear on the prototypes, though.

Yeah, I will send you a PM.
Good point on the 23x10. I am lucky to have some 11t drivers laying around that work with odyssey salt and demolition hubs.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
son of a b!tch, you better get those frames soon, and i better have the money ready to send when you do. i just got all my parts from dans today and i cant wait to build it up.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
son of a b!tch, you better get those frames soon, and i better have the money ready to send when you do. i just got all my parts from dans today and i cant wait to build it up.
Nice. I just got all of the customs info today... apparently importing is serious business. They are scheduled to arrive at port on Dec. 6th. Hopefully I'll have the delivery within a week after that.

On a side note... doesn't it suck to have a bunch of new parts and no frame to put them on? I hate that and the other way around (waiting on parts for a new frame). :shakefist:

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
yeah, i still need to figure out a wheelset, and finances. hopefully i dont have to wait til my tax return for the wheelset

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track

Updated picture of my ride. I put a few new parts on it. The weight is right at 24.5 lbs. The new frames should be a little bit lighter.

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
Totally sick. I sure hope I can scrape up enough doe for when these hit the shore! Have you by chance ridden a Model C? It'd be real interesting to hear a comparison between the ride characteristics of your proto and some of the other cruisers out there, since yours seems to have the geo I'm looking for (on paper anyway).

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Cru, beautiful rig for sure! Question, are these frames peg friendly? Looks like the bb is on the cusp of clearing for double pegs.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
lookin good cru, are they your bars on that photo too?
No, those are the S&M 5.75" RV Bars. Don't have our bars, yet.

Speaking of bars, I experimented with 8" bars on this thing the other day. It actually felt better than I thought it would. The front came up a lot easier, probably too easy, but it also made it want to pop off of lips and go into tables effortlessly. Bar height is something I am going to continue to experiment with. Here's how we came up with the 6" rise for our bars. Start with 8" bars on a 20, subtract 4" for the taller wheel. Then add an inch for the taller bb (12.7 compared to 11.7). So, that works out to 5 inch (8-4+1) bars "should" feel like 8" bars on a 20. But, then you also have to factor in that this bike is longer (front and rear) than a normal 20. So, we added another inch to give a little more leverage. That's how we got to 6 inch rise for our bars. This setup makes it feel closest to a 20 inch. If you want it to feel more like a mtb with 2 or 3 inch riser bars, then you might want to go with a little taller bars... then experiment with how much you slam the wheel if it feels too loopy. Sealclubber is 6'6", so I think he made a good choice with the 8" bars. He should be able to make it feel very nice on the longer frame. I'll probably end up running the 6" bars with spacers and a topload stem. Sorry for the novel, haha... but this is the stuff I think about!!!

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
awesome. very tidy brake setup on the frame and front wheel has nice pedal clearance.
Thanks. The frame pictured is actually the 21.9", 73.5 HA, .5 bb rise version (the one WCH had at first). I wanted to spend time on both frames. The new ones will both have a hair longer wheelbase (because of the longer top tubes and the 72 SA), 74 HA, and little more foot/tire clearance than this one.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Cru, beautiful rig for sure! Question, are these frames peg friendly? Looks like the bb is on the cusp of clearing for double pegs.
Yeah, peg friendly. I've actually never grinded anything in my life, haha. But, I just put pegs on it and ran it through the motions. It clears everything, even on the drive side. And the 5mm thick dropouts are strong enough to handle them. Also keep in mind that the production frame BB will be a hair taller than the one pictured.

The chain stays also use thicker tubing than the seat stays to help prevent denting and to keep the rear triangle reasonably stiff.

Last edited:

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
Cru, nice looking bike! Just stumbled upon this thread. I think I read the whole thing. Like the idea of the shorter back end. Been riding my new sunday model c for the last month or so. Where is so cal are you located? Love to go ride some trails with you some time.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Yeah, peg friendly. I've actually never grinded anything in my life, haha. But, I just put pegs on it and ran it through the motions. It clears everything, even on the drive side. And the 5mm thick dropouts are strong enough to handle them. Also keep in mind that the production frame BB will be a hair taller than the one pictured.

The chain stays also use thicker tubing than the seat stays to help prevent denting and to keep the rear triangle reasonably stiff.
Damn you got me drooling now!

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Cru, nice looking bike! Just stumbled upon this thread. I think I read the whole thing. Like the idea of the shorter back end. Been riding my new sunday model c for the last month or so. Where is so cal are you located? Love to go ride some trails with you some time.
What up. Thanks for the good words! I live out in Ventura now, but I travel all around so cal to ride. You ride out at the compound, right? I used to go out there quite a bit, but haven't been there in about a year. Where in so cal are you?

Yeah, I'd be down to meet up and ride sometime. I actually really want to try the Model C to see how it compares.

Take it easy.

- Jeremy

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
What up. Thanks for the good words! I live out in Ventura now, but I travel all around so cal to ride. You ride out at the compound, right? I used to go out there quite a bit, but haven't been there in about a year. Where in so cal are you?

Yeah, I'd be down to meet up and ride sometime. I actually really want to try the Model C to see how it compares.

Take it easy.

- Jeremy
I live in San Marcos. I like to go up to DaCompound when they have dirt to ride. We should definitly hook up sometime to ride. I too wanted to check your bike out to see how it compairs. Our trails down here got plowed. I will shoot you a message with my contact info.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Customs cleared. Duties paid. With no snags, I should have everything on Monday. :eek:

I was curious as to how many emails have been sent back and forth between myself, my supplier, and the logistics company during this whole process... so I checked my email history. 251 emails!!! Thought you guys might be interested in that little tidbit.

Also picked up some new bling for mine...

Last edited:

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
crap man. looks like i might have to wait til after xmas to buy mine. had to buy a new car battery today and ive been splurging a wee bit too much on jumping juice lately

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track

Colors: Flat Black, Pearl Plum Grey, and limited edition Flat Bubblegum Blue
Weight: 5 lbs 3 oz

I'll start a new thread with more pictures, pricing info, etc. once I get everything organized.

Just wanted to give a sneak peek.

:cheers:

Last edited: