Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
that’s a cool building….is it a tibetan cultural center or temple or something?

Sakya Buddhist Monastery. Built from an old craftsman house, it kind of works. You can see some monks working on the front porch. I assume they are Kung-Fu masters.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
you've clearly never seen him ride.
lol
had a bad ass crash this weekend. dude in front of me i was told he was a ripper.. LOL not the case his jumping was out of control he hit nose down and he had balls but NO skills. He came in sideways off a step down I had to bail left and take a digger. Guy behind me landed and had to veer at me full speed I was stopped and off to side.. I held front brake and used the bars to throw me up and backwards off bike he slammed into my bike. it was bike to bike and would have been a full body check with head butt between us lol.. Zack was OK checked on him and looked for dents and damage to bike...other dude let him figure his shit out...was a hazard so put him in back and i went up front.. Made my son follow me off stuff so he was in front of him as well...

surprised fork was unscathed and no dents on frame or fork.. so its not always me breaking stuff ..LMAO...

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Some new bars for the hardtail. Extra 10mm of rise and 2 more degrees of sweep. Had to bump the stem length up 10mm to keep the same "reach". Hands and wrists are much happier.

I really wanted to like those bars but my wrists hated them more than they hated the 9 degree backsweep of most bars. Definitely an individual thing.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm giving this a thumbs down because it makes me savagely jealous.

Seriously - that looks rad enough to break a Geiger counter. Ride report soon I hope!
You really have to step up your Worldcup predictions game or buckoW will run away winning Ridemonkey this year. ;)

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I really wanted to like those bars but my wrists hated them more than they hated the 9 degree backsweep of most bars. Definitely an individual thing.
Yeah it is definately a personal preference thing, I think my preference is driven a lot by the acummulation of thumb and wrist injuries. The increases sweep really helps with the pressure on my thumbs.

Need some 8 degree RaceFace bars?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I'm giving this a thumbs down because it makes me savagely jealous.

Seriously - that looks rad enough to break a Geiger counter. Ride report soon I hope!
you win some and you loose some. Come ride with me and you can try one, if you dare. I get the one without the holes and booger welds though. You can have your pick of the first two.

First impressions are good! It feels solid and went together nice. I used a correctly sized hand reamer on all the pivots and Seat tube so it felt like a quality bicycle and less like I made it myself.

Marshy the mechanic was over checking it out yesterday and he was impressed with the pedaling and couldn’t believe it had 200mm of butter in the back. He kept asking what i did to make it like that. I say that’s a positive first impression from guy who knows stuff.

Seems like an incredible amount of leverage on the TT/ST?
Agreed! The 200mm Fox dropper is fully supported right down to the bottom of the tube. I think I will try and get away with it like this and if it starts to move then I will add a gusset.

i believe he has a seat tube gusset and he did last time looked kick ass. Id swoop one with a small bend and do a boxed gusset between the head tube down tube... Or maybe a slightly thicker i piece in center with a design cut out of it...
I might do one similar to the last one if I end up putting one in. I kinda like the look without.

The lengths a Scott employee has to go to get a proper SA :D

Man that looks sick hey. I'm curious about whether you'll end up running a gusset between the ST/TT junction.
Haha! External cables on a freeride bike too.

I dunno yet. That seat post is so long it seems like it is plenty supported below the tt as well and I can always add one later? Marshy thinks it would be fine without and says a lot of the steel Keewee bikes cracked at the ends of the gussets. Since my welding is suspect I am also concearned that I create a stress riser when trying to make it stronger. I feel like steel would let go softly and give me a heads up before anything catastrophic happens?

Aenomaly 3 position Seat angle adjuster things. Very cool idea.

50840AB0-7185-45E2-B761-6B2EFC8D6CE2.jpeg

FC50A4F6-39DC-42BC-A4FA-E3154F351B49.jpeg

A9579B54-75B6-4824-AFAA-4C4C0F166460.jpeg

A8B50F80-5B1D-4DB8-89D1-78F3BA4EF761.jpeg

I went fancy on the drivetrain.
BDC069FD-44E0-4942-91ED-69B69E588B16.jpeg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
you win some and you loose some. Come ride with me and you can try one, if you dare. I get the one without the holes and booger welds though. You can have your pick of the first two.

First impressions are good! It feels solid and went together nice. I used a correctly sized hand reamer on all the pivots and Seat tube so it felt like a quality bicycle and less like I made it myself.

Marshy the mechanic was over checking it out yesterday and he was impressed with the pedaling and couldn’t believe it had 200mm of butter in the back. He kept asking what i did to make it like that. I say that’s a positive first impression from guy who knows stuff.

Agreed! The 200mm Fox dropper is fully supported right down to the bottom of the tube. I think I will try and get away with it like this and if it starts to move then I will add a gusset.

I might do one similar to the last one if I end up putting one in. I kinda like the look without.

Haha! External cables on a freeride bike too.

I dunno yet. That seat post is so long it seems like it is plenty supported below the tt as well and I can always add one later? Marshy thinks it would be fine without and says a lot of the steel Keewee bikes cracked at the ends of the gussets. Since my welding is suspect I am also concearned that I create a stress riser when trying to make it stronger. I feel like steel would let go softly and give me a heads up before anything catastrophic happens?

Aenomaly 3 position Seat angle adjuster things. Very cool idea.

View attachment 170910

View attachment 170908

View attachment 170911

View attachment 170909

I went fancy on the drivetrain.
View attachment 170912
Soooo, when are you taking orders?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Probably never. These are just for fun and it might feel like work if I sold one.
Wouldn't want to break your train of happiness. If you decide to gift a non porous welded one (not first 2 lol) I'll take it cause I like gifts...
This way your win win,spreading your happiness and not getting unhappy and a work feeling.

See and my wife says I have little to no feelings, not true they are selective...

So on a real note when your done and run it hard I'd like to hear thoughts on how it rode, changes you'd make and why...I do think it's a kick ass bike with some damn good lines...well done and steel triangle which is really cool...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
To make it feel like really feel like work, fuck up the seat angle, tarnish it with Twin-Loc and then make it snap through the middle of the downtube.
Haha! Fucker.

so bartering is still on the table?
I like bartering.

We built up frame #2 for my wife yesterday. Brave woman! She was sipping on a margarita telling me she had zero doubts about my welding and fab skills…. The more confident she got the more uncertain I was… pretty funny. I was getting properly uncomfortable thinking, « yes but we still need to keep an eye on the welds. »

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
We built up frame #2 for my wife yesterday. Brave woman! She was sipping on a margarita telling me she had zero doubts about my welding and fab skills…. The more confident she got the more uncertain I was… pretty funny. I was getting properly uncomfortable thinking, « yes but we still need to keep an eye on the welds. »
That's awesome the only thing I made for my wife was wonder why In the hell she married me...so you are ahead marital points

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Stan's=Wheel of cheese?

Hmmm, I went to a different brand when I built my 29" wheel because I thought the Stan's rim would be too flexy, seems they run a taller profile now?