Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
One of my heavy buddies tried the 220 HS2 rotor with his XTRs and it made really unhappy noises (rattling, weird resonance, honking). He went down to the 203 HS2 and it's working fine.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
One of my heavy buddies tried the 220 HS2 rotor with his XTRs and it made really unhappy noises (rattling, weird resonance, honking). He went down to the 203 HS2 and it's working fine.
Yeah, I've noticed that big-rotor + small caliper can have some real bad results on bikes. Those large 203 Ashima rotors can be especially bad, they just vibrate like hell. Those rotors have a very narrow usage window IMO, I use them on my heavy bikepacking fat-bike because on some real steep terrain, I do need a lot of brake to slow that thing down, but there's really no chance of overheating and that's one reason why those rotors don't make any sense, because 99% of the time you need decent heat dissipation and capacity out of a brake that size. I have had that exact problem as you though, big rotor on a small brake is a recipe for vibration.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Look what made it here. :cool:
Way too expensive, but oh well, they get pretty rare lately. It is in an overall amazing condition for the age, but the seller managed to not tell me about a small dent on the seat tube that makes putting a seat post in not possible. I will try to carefully bend it back as it is not much.
Special thanks to @Gary who went out of his way to help me to acquire this bad boy! Much appreciated! :thumb: :cheers:

Tazer_HT.jpg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
so the seat tube is

*puts on glasses*

not straight?
It is straight, just compare it to the floor boards. I aligned the frame with them because I was anticipating a comment like that. :D

BTW: Not Intense's fault if an idiot tightens the seatpost clamp w/o a seatpost in.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Good save, lol keep from going down that path....nice find btw...saw a mint m1 here for sale not long ago and 1st owner of it barely used all original build...
I already have a 99, 2001 and 2003. :D
But if you come across a SS2 in M or L then let me know.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I already have a 99, 2001 and 2003. :D
But if you come across a SS2 in M or L then let me know.
There was one for $800 guy built mint shape offer up san diego...

I almost bought it to go rip around for fun...I'll look

It's gone just looked, there is a m1 with a shiver on it...but that's about as retro as it is...the SS 2 was clean and well built for that era... Had him at $600...but bought shop equipment instead lol

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Way too expensive, but oh well, they get pretty rare lately. It is in an overall amazing condition for the age, but the seller managed to not tell me about a small dent on the seat tube that makes putting a seat post in not possible. I will try to carefully bend it back as it is not much.
Special thanks to @Gary who went out of his way to help me to acquire this bad boy! Much appreciated! :thumb: :cheers:

View attachment 170744
Wow, one that didn't crack, amazing!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

View attachment 170744
I‘d love to see your full collection one day. I bet you have some cool shit.

That’s a nice one! My buddy had the 4x full suspension one that I drooled over in Durango my sophmore year at college.We thought the e13 bash guard was for grinds and sprocket chunks haha.

His was a red one like this.
1642906059832.jpeg

Im almost done with a new front triangle. These welds scare me far less than my last frame.
A1760607-BE46-4E1F-9DC1-DE53DE36BDE5.jpeg

21E75043-7825-467B-B01E-0400B2E4493E.jpeg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

That’s a nice one! My buddy had the 4x full suspension one that I drooled over in Durango my sophmore year at college.We thought the e13 bash guard was for grinds and sprocket chunks haha.

His was a red one like this.
View attachment 170786

Im almost done with a new front triangle. These welds scare me far less than my last frame.
View attachment 170787

View attachment 170788
I want one

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Your welds are coming along, BuckoW!
I tig, but I’m not great at it.
Thanks man! I’m enjoying learning it. Just the right amount of failure and rewards to get hooked.

@bullcrew I‘m going to have to increase the wall thickness and get better at the welding first. Extra low leverage ratio for your size and really short reach because 951. Do you mind is she’s a little crooked?

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

I hope to soon have even more cool shit. ;)
Too little time for a project to make the bikes presentable. One day...

But man, I wish I could find the time to properly learn how to weld. Nice job!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That is a nice build and the frame is in good condition, but unfortunately it is a small (and yes, I am sure unless she was a sponsored pro and this is a team frame).
Yeah i messaged when I saw it and they said it was medium...
No shots of size and I don't know.what framearkers on a ss like gussets would be different between sizes like.most bikes...

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
i miss the days when “new whip“ actually meant a new bike, not one from the last decade :(

this place is like a museum these days
As long as I can buy a used enduro or trail bike for the price of an entry level hardtail, I will stick with buying used.
Everybody is just bitching that they don't like where the industry is going, but still buy new shit all the time. I am not a marketing victim and vote with my wallet.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yep went back last night and looked at what was different and it was a seat gussetted that I thought it was...that's awesome thanks...lol now I want one for ripping around , loved my old sx trail
Putting a -1° or -1.5° angleset in there is the hot ticket. A 160-170 mm fork is usally enough, the 180 makes the handling weird. So that also means you need to find a 26" fork to keep the AtoC reasonable.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
As long as I can buy a used enduro or trail bike for the price of an entry level hardtail, I will stick with buying used.
Everybody is just bitching that they don't like where the industry is going, but still buy new shit all the time. I am not a marketing victim and vote with my wallet.
i didn‘t bought any new mtb between 2011 and 2021 so i missed out on all the experiments inbetween. having bought a modern 29er is just awesome compaired to anything i owned before that. so i really don’t get this nostalgic looking back on old bikes working not as good as new ones, sorry.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Putting a -1° or -1.5° angleset in there is the hot ticked. A 160-170 mm fork is usally enough, the 180 makes the handling weird. So that also means you need to find a 26" fork to keep the AtoC reasonable.
I reckon if you're looking to buy an older bike and angleset it to modern geo you should consider sizing up for sure. Older bikes were small anyway, and the anglesets shorten reach more than you think. Of course, you can't really size up a bike you already own.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Some new bars for the hardtail. Extra 10mm of rise and 2 more degrees of sweep. Had to bump the stem length up 10mm to keep the same "reach". Hands and wrists are much happier.