Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Hell yeah...my god you must dream in cadillac plushness

My m9 is Woody, fox 40 with avy cart...
My 275/26 mullet Podium has a CCDB coil in back with an Avy'd Ti 888 up front.
That fork is phenomenal and the ABS has saved my ass on occasion.
Too bad nothing can be done with the CCDB. I shouldn't complain as it is a good shock.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That fork is phenomenal and the ABS has saved my ass on occasion.
Too bad nothing can be done with the CCDB. I shouldn't complain as it is a good shock.
I have ccdb on both 951s...actually like them alot...tried a dhx2 wasn't happy, got a few other shocks around here as well..but the ccdb coils grip well and hold line on nasty crap.
Been happy with the ABS its awesome...I hit a triple and slammed the face of the 3rd lol...thought it was going to sound like wrenches clanking on bottom out...

Bottom out is priceless lol...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Wanted to get your take on the smashpot avy damper set up...I haven't had a chance to ride it yet just got it in and swapped over...we are building sat on jump line and drops them Sunday we are hitting down south to a built up area I'll run it. Just want to see what your thoughts were ahead of time as I'll be busy till those days so I won't be able to tweak or adjust anything ahead of time.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Make sure you fully clarify which the front brake is and to not pull it hard without allowing for the sudden weight transfer forward ;)
Yeah on first appication the front brake already had more power than the Tektros, probably doesn't need a 180mm rotor on the front now. But yeah I didn't even think about warning her about yanking the front brake lever, thanks.
I was only going to get MT4s but these came with rotors and I'll use them on my bike as I still have the pad chewing Storm SL rotors..

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah on first appication the front brake already had more power than the Tektros, probably doesn't need a 180mm rotor on the front now. But yeah I didn't even think about warning her about yanking the front brake lever, thanks.
I was only going to get MT4s but these came with rotors and I'll use them on my bike as I still have the pad chewing Storm SL rotors..
Stick a piece of masking tape on the bars if required with "Front" and "Rear" labels until she's gotten used to it a bit perhaps?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Wanted to get your take on the smashpot avy damper set up...I haven't had a chance to ride it yet just got it in and swapped over...we are building sat on jump line and drops them Sunday we are hitting down south to a built up area I'll run it. Just want to see what your thoughts were ahead of time as I'll be busy till those days so I won't be able to tweak or adjust anything ahead of time.

My area is quite flat so think ravine systems in flat or gently rolling terrain. Lotsa roots, some, but not a lot of rock unless you are in the Niagara escarpment area. Because of this Steve did advise me to go lighter in spring weight as the Avy damper offers great support. I got lucky and nailed my spring rate on the first go. YMMV.

Traction, and lots of it.
Great small bump, which you would expect from a coil. I really like the adjustable bottom out as it allows a good degree of tuning. I have not had to reshim as stock config is working for me.
Controlled. Typical Avy, a bit stiff at a crawl but get moving and it opens up nicely.
I'm not an air spring guy - on forks especially. I find the pop a lot of people like feels more like kickback to me, especially deep in the stroke. This does not do that. It is not too dead either, I have no problem moving the bike around when required. Lotsa oil, so the action stays supple. Downside is weight, but I'm floating around 200lbs so couple of pounds for a full coil bike does not bother me.

I think you will like it, especially when you get it dialled in.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
My area is quite flat so think ravine systems in flat or gently rolling terrain. Lotsa roots, some, but not a lot of rock unless you are in the Niagara escarpment area. Because of this Steve did advise me to go lighter in spring weight as the Avy damper offers great support. I got lucky and nailed my spring rate on the first go. YMMV.

Traction, and lots of it.
Great small bump, which you would expect from a coil. I really like the adjustable bottom out as it allows a good degree of tuning. I have not had to reshim as stock config is working for me.
Controlled. Typical Avy, a bit stiff at a crawl but get moving and it opens up nicely.
I'm not an air spring guy - on forks especially. I find the pop a lot of people like feels more like kickback to me, especially deep in the stroke. This does not do that. It is not too dead either, I have no problem moving the bike around when required. Lotsa oil, so the action stays supple. Downside is weight, but I'm floating around 200lbs so couple of pounds for a full coil bike does not bother me.

I think you will like it, especially when you get it dialled in.
Yeah it added 1lb with avy smashpot and all the oil over stock 36..so additional is minimal...going to jump line tomorrow and drops. Pretty excited and yeah avy is a bit stiff but opens up at speed...

Man ya got me excited...

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I found the platform of the Burgtec MK5s to be too small for 9.5 Impact Pros, but YMMV. They are pretty though.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Big spend item. Put condoms on the brake levers on the fat bike, hoping it helps the fingers not freeze as quick. Unsure if it'll actually do anything, but at least the bike is protected.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Big spend item. Put condoms on the brake levers on the fat bike, hoping it helps the fingers not freeze as quick. Unsure if it'll actually do anything, but at least the bike is protected.

I applaud you for using protection, can never be careful enough these days
I applaud you for using protection, can never be careful enough these days

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I know what you mean (buddy had similar sound when he tried 220 HS2s on his bike), but I'm running Codes and ran the same rotor / pad / brake combo fine for several months until I had the brilliant idea of trying my MT7s again after a year of running Codes. The MT7s had been sitting (pads on) in the bottom of a drawer all this time, and as soon as I mounted them, they wouldn't stop at all (pads very obviously badly contaminated). Because I was being lazy and the HS2s being the same thickness as the Storm HC rotors, I didn't change rotors. I pulled the MT7s off immediately but apparently the contamination transferred to the rear rotor.

The weird part is today it was perfectly fine on the longer, steeper trail I rode first, but on the mellower, flatter trail it came back.
Update on the brake saga: 5th cleaning / sanding (this time with Brakleen) and they still vibrated/honked on a mellow trail but not a normal one. I then begged my mechanic friend for help, and he resorted to the nuclear option. He doused the rotor with liquid Brakleen, then set the bastard (the rotor, not the mechanic) on fire. Then ground the surface of both pads and rotor with a metal Dremel grinding wheel. That did the trick.

The new rotor I ordered has been added to the Covid parts hoard.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I tried that several years ago. I didn't think it made a significant difference, but it'll be interesting to hear about your experience.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I have those on one set of levers. I find them to be insufficient for my conditions, too thin and still transmit too much heat away. My go-to is cutting fingers off of old gloves and zip tying those. CF brake levers are the best, but there aren't too many out there and those brakes tend to suck in the cold.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My RSD middlechild came with 180mm rotors with SRAM G2 brakes. Not something I would have ever picked on purpose but thought they might be fine for a lil' old hardtail. I was wrong, lever got all spongey on descents. Bumped the front to 203mm so I could swap out wheels with my other bikes and got a set of MTX red pads for the rear.

I haven't tried the OEM metallic pads but the MTX pad make a huge difference, feels a lot more powerful than the metallic pads on my TRPs. First long descent and my riding was all wonky as I kept bleeding more speed than expecting. Got used to things after a bit not sure I want to jump between bikes with that different of a brake feel. Pretty intrigued in trying them on my other bikes now.

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, MTX Golds are amazeballs with SRAM brakes. Way more bite than the stock pads, and last forever.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Those things that get damp and become heat-sinks? Sure, for like the first half of a ride...
Could you run some Merino glove liners?
These are from NZ but I'd imagine anywhere cold would have something similar.
1644742675100.png

Or you could add some rubber crumb to a tub of Plasti-Dip and dip the levers, might make them more insulative.

EDIT- You aren't the person with the cold lever problem, hahaha!

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
No, I need fingers that don't have reynauds. Give me your fingers.
I've got that too. For skiing, after years of trying different stuff, I broke down and bought heated gloves. Well worth it, especially backcountry where you've got to take gloves off for skin transitions.