Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
does shimano plan on releasing 12spd chain pins? i know they have them for 11spd. haven't seen them for 12spd tho
I think they're all in on quick links now. Their 11s quick link came out well after they'd launched 11s drivetrains IIRC, hence the period of overlap.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think they're all in on quick links now. Their 11s quick link came out well after they'd launched 11s drivetrains IIRC, hence the period of overlap.
ah that makes sense. in all fairness i don't mind the pins, i still use the quick links, but the pins came in handy one time i broke a chain and had to add a few links back on after the ride. or is it no longer frowned upon using multiple quick links in a chain?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I was looking to pick up a spare 12sp LSC chain and I am sure it stated a quick link was included. Thinking about I am sure the one I installed earlier in the year came with a link.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Shimano and SRAM both have their requirements listed and it’s easy to follow the required setup/distance.

what caught me out when transitioning to 12sp and large range cassettes is to not make the chain too short. The old rule of 2 spare links does not apply, and the chain needs to be as long as possible i.e. the derailleur should almost be fully ‘collapsed’ when in the small cog on the cassette. If not you will struggle to set the b tension screw and get to the largest cog.
This and you shouldn't use more than an 11 tooth upper pully. To get the best chain wrap.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
that's my plan... hope to use it as little as possible.

btw, does anyone have a link to a good resource on how to adjust the b-tension screw? when I have it adjusted how I think it works right, I can't drop into the highest gear, the knuckle of the derailleur seems to hit the chain and prevent it turning. But when i push the derailleur back enough (w the b-tension screw), the chain wrap seems minimal... it's puzzling. and my first time struggling with this...
I use the line on the back of the XT derailleur to set mine, also seem to have better luck setting the derailleur when the suspension is in sagged position.

Attachments

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I use the line on the back of the XT derailleur to set mine, also seem to have better luck setting the derailleur when the suspension is in sagged position.
Random cool story bro - I recently got a 50tooth cassette and 12 speed Shimano derailleur, which I setup following this and aligned it all up according to that line. Shifting just didn't work with it set like that, I had to make it much closer. Amazingly how one or two turns of that screw can have such a big effect on the shifting.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Random cool story bro - I recently got a 50tooth cassette and 12 speed Shimano derailleur, which I setup following this and aligned it all up according to that line. Shifting just didn't work with it set like that, I had to make it much closer. Amazingly how one or two turns of that screw can have such a big effect on the shifting.
Yep, I disregard any instructions and turn the screw till it works.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Why did I have to look at the Flat Pedal Thread? I just got dentisty and ordered some of these-
1654253695222.png

Ball bearings and a grease port sold me, I hate maintenance.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
PXL_20220604_005918582.jpg

New Assegai, Fillmore Valves, and 220mm rotor on the Sled. Stoked to go for a rip.

EDIT: Also put on a 203 rear rotor, because if I run 180/220, I surely would explode in a fiery train crash.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
View attachment 177272
New Assegai, Fillmore Valves, and 220mm rotor on the Sled. Stoked to go for a rip.

EDIT: Also put on a 203 rear rotor, because if I run 180/220, I surely would explode in a fiery train crash.
Didn't know that Shimano made 220mm rotors. Interesting that the aluminum spider is so small and not even part of the 6 bolt version. Other "levels" to follow?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I haven't seen one of these in person, but I'm wondering if there are other changes to the 220 to prevent warping etc.

Didn't know that Shimano made 220mm rotors. Interesting that the aluminum spider is so small and not even part of the 6 bolt version. Other "levels" to follow?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Lol@shitmano, after everyone else has figured out that 220-225 is a good idea. Just like 1x systems…

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
shimano's 220 rotors were originally launched for cargo bikes, but it looks now like they have quietly rolled them out as deore and SLX. for some reason the deore is centerlock and the SLX is 6 bolt.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
shimano's 220 rotors were originally launched for cargo bikes, but it looks now like they have quietly rolled them out as deore and SLX. for some reason the deore is centerlock and the SLX is 6 bolt.

Is this a 1.8 thickness?

I think as the rotors get super big like this thicker is a good idea not just from heat capacity aspect, but to resist bending too. 2.0 seems like a decent min. Magura is doing that. TRP 2.3.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Recipe for lotsa noisy brakes unless the manufacturers ALL move to wider calipers as well.
I've been running 2.0 thick Galfer rotors on my Orbea and been pretty happy with them, but with the lower clearances I had to spend a lot more time setting them up & making damn sure the rotors were straight (most rotors have a faint wobble fresh out of the box I've found).

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Is this a 1.8 thickness?

I think as the rotors get super big like this thicker is a good idea not just from heat capacity aspect, but to resist bending too. 2.0 seems like a decent min. Magura is doing that. TRP 2.3.
I'll measure with a caliper tonight. But if they were any thicker I don't think I could have made them work with this brand new caliper and pads. Maybe with slightly worn pads?