Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
According to Zamboni, if your bearings and alignment aren't exactly perfect with the steerer and top race/headset, which they won't be, it will over time create stress in the HT and eventually cracks and shearing. Greatly magnified with a longer steerer that allows forces to get out of alignment easier.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Seems this is mine-
I didn't buy enough white paint so it's two tone.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The very first thing that my tig instructor at Miller noticed is that I was basically blind close-up, and needed 1.75 magnification in my welding helmet. I was in denial that I needed readers up to that point.
I was truly hopeless before that, the entire thing was just a bright blur. That observation alone was worth the price of the course.
I got spoiled on their sick teaching machines, though, going back to my basic multi process welder was like going back to riding a Univega.on trails. It gets the job done, buuuuuutt….

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The very first thing that my tig instructor at Miller noticed is that I was basically blind close-up, and needed 1.75 magnification in my welding helmet. I was in denial that I needed readers up to that point.
I was truly hopeless before that, the entire thing was just a bright blur. That observation alone was worth the price of the course.
I got spoiled on their sick teaching machines, though, going back to my basic multi process welder was like going back to riding a Univega.on trails. It gets the job done, buuuuuutt….
I have a cheap welder from a company called Stahlwerk. A Miller would be nice but I don’t know enough yet.

You are the second person to recommend me readers for tig welding. My issues are more with torch angle and shaky hand. I need to get more comfortable and make a stand than can hold the frame in any direction easily. I think that will help.

I tried pulse settings for the first time on this frame. I was using the pedal up until now. I made a lot of mistakes but started to get it at the end. One day….

@toodles That when you get flashed and can’t see for a little bit? Yes, but not so bad that I have it later at night.

I might run a lower bar for today or a heavier rear spring.
9E61276C-1FD5-444B-A254-8B44DC12DA9A.jpeg

90C87DC7-A62B-4072-BDB3-AC4A24BEAD62.jpeg

E1FB23A8-D4E8-42FC-8BC3-6AF2BC23EA48.jpeg

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
@toodles That when you get flashed and can’t see for a little bit? Yes, but not so bad that I have it later at night.
Yeah it sucks. You get a bright flash like someone shone a torch in your eyes, then usually the middle of the night you wake up feeling like you've got conjunctivitis or something. It blows.

What amp rating you working at for this stuff? You wearing gloves or nah?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Sold 36 Sold my 38 went with a new ultimate boxxer hung it in wall got another 36 and slapped avy cart and Runt in it (again)...did out some hard time on the avy set up on m9 (40 and woodie) and now ohlins rear and avy 36 on 951..

The ohlins ttx22m and 36 with cartridge is so well matched... It is balanced damn near as good as m9 avy set up..the ttx shock plays well with the 36 avy cart...favorite set up so far. Bike kicks ass.
20221015_131901.jpg
20221015_131804.jpg
20221015_131736.jpg
20221015_141035.jpg
20221015_141737.jpg
20221015_141021.jpg

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah it sucks. You get a bright flash like someone shone a torch in your eyes, then usually the middle of the night you wake up feeling like you've got conjunctivitis or something. It blows.

What amp rating you working at for this stuff? You wearing gloves or nah?
It’s all different thicknesses so I use different amps depending on where. 53-80 with pulse and 38-50 with the pedal. Like I said before I’m just learning and try different settings everytime. The thinnest parts are .88 mm.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a cheap welder from a company called Stahlwerk. A Miller would be nice but I don’t know enough yet.

You are the second person to recommend me readers for tig welding. My issues are more with torch angle and shaky hand. I need to get more comfortable and make a stand than can hold the frame in any direction easily. I think that will help.

I tried pulse settings for the first time on this frame. I was using the pedal up until now. I made a lot of mistakes but started to get it at the end. One day….

I might run a lower bar for today or a heavier rear spring.
View attachment 183302

View attachment 183304

View attachment 183303

Does it come in root beer?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It’s all different thicknesses so I use different amps depending on where. 53-80 with pulse and 38-50 with the pedal. Like I said before I’m just learning and try different settings everytime. The thinnest parts are .88 mm.
Ah yeah. I had a set of super thin TIG gloves (deerskin?) and at low amps I could hold the TIG torch like a pen for doing really fine work. I did a lot of stainless tubing for heat exchangers and stuff which needed to be hygienic so it was all purge welded as well for internal finish. Being able to get right near the tungsten lets you rest your hand on the workpiece and you get a steadier result. Just gotta take a break now and then cos the gloves get super warm.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ah yeah. I had a set of super thin TIG gloves (deerskin?) and at low amps I could hold the TIG torch like a pen for doing really fine work. I did a lot of stainless tubing for heat exchangers and stuff which needed to be hygienic so it was all purge welded as well for internal finish. Being able to get right near the tungsten lets you rest your hand on the workpiece and you get a steadier result. Just gotta take a break now and then cos the gloves get super warm.
Sweet!

I do have thin gloves and a small format torch which helped a lot. I think sitting in a chair with a nice table and a multi axis moveable support would help. I’m comfortable in 30% of the situations and get away with nice looking welds.

My new bike felt sweet yesterday. I tried to lower the leverage ratio so I could drop a spring rate but it wasn’t enough. It felt good off the top but I bottomed a few times pretty hard.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
For some reason I do my best welds when it’s awkward. Like I’ve got to stand on one leg contorted around and use just the toes in my left foot for the pedal.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Always take a deep breath and blow it out controlled before pulling trigger...(relaxe diaphram)
Get in a good position find a movement thats unrestricted get tip near for strike..
Breath and relax, burn dimes

Don't rush its not a race if questioning it stop and repeat
Thanks! I think I’ll get there with more practice. It’s funny how much my heart races if I’m doing a tricky weld and I have a lot of time invested in the frame. That part is getting easier but I still get jittery sometimes. I’ve only been doing it since last November and I have a quiver of bikes with no cracks yet so I’m very happy with how it’s going.

First tram
B59632F2-02C4-4FE5-BF2B-4391CBF39FCE.jpeg

Good first day.
759485C5-D454-4FAF-BE41-2EBBDA15C0C7.jpeg

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I have never tried a biathlon, (ski and shoot)but I always tried to imagine using that skill set when tensing up and getting nervous trying to set a tricky bead. Deep breaths…
Yeah, that sounds like a good technique. Half the time I should probably reset and focus rather than push on. It’s also unrealistic to think I could do perfect welds at this stage. They look great with some paint on top, haha.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thanks! I think I’ll get there with more practice. It’s funny how much my heart races if I’m doing a tricky weld and I have a lot of time invested in the frame. That part is getting easier but I still get jittery sometimes. I’ve only been doing it since last November and I have a quiver of bikes with no cracks yet so I’m very happy with how it’s going.

First tram
View attachment 183374
Good first day.
View attachment 183375
So much badassness right there