Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What do you mean?
Turner is what, 25 years old? and still in business. aren't they?
Evil is on it's 2nd owner's in 10 years, and also doesn't sell a DH bike.
Turner doesn't make a DH bike either, and haven't updated any of their bikes in, what? 5+ years?

I know they're still around, but I have to imagine they're on life support.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
What do you mean?
Turner is what, 25 years old? and still in business. aren't they?
Evil is on it's 2nd owner's in 10 years, and also doesn't sell a DH bike.
Check out their site. If you click on any of the bikes all you see is replacement bearing kits. Evil is all over the place. 10 years ago Evil was the brand that fucked a bunch of their customers and Turner was an industry stalwart.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Turner has been on life support for months, moved out of their old premises, laid off their staff. I think Dave's current pet project is a Ti hardtail, there's details on emptybeer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This makes me sad. I have never felt so connected to a bike or any inanimate object than my old Turners. I'd probably still be riding them if I was still on the East coast.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Turner doesn't make a DH bike either, and haven't updated any of their bikes in, what? 5+ years?

I know they're still around, but I have to imagine they're on life support.
As stated above, they've basically dropped everything but the cross-thing. They will sell bearing kits and some replacement stuff, but I don't hold out any hope of any new mountain bikes, it seems like that ship has sailed. Dave would really need some young(er) business entrepreneur to take the reigns and keep pushing it, but I can totally understand the situation. It's a brand with his name on it. His life is finite. He's got to be around 60 now. That said, I'm riding my RFX until something catastrophic happens and with tuned goodies on both ends, it still kicks serious ass. I didn't buy the frame just to change it out in a year anyway.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Well covid really screwed up a bunch of park plans and trips this summer. That paired w/ the fact that the YT didn't have a bottle, and I have had a good history w/ Stumpy's made me swap it out. I am a huge fan of the SWAT box as well...Don't get me wrong, that YT was a monster on the descents and pedal'd pretty good for what it is...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
For my boy's ride:
original form
1594325635079.png

the upgrade
1594325656822.png

on the bike
1594325689482.png

end result
1594325847270.png

He seems to dig it. Can't wait to hit the trails with him. It just needs to cool off a bit first.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No outboard flange? I wanna try the new single sided lock-on Ourys but they dropped that outer flange and that's what I seem to use to position myself.

Actually about to put some V1 Oury slip-on grips on the trail bike.
Yeah, I thought the flange model was dumb, I put normal end-plugs in the bars and the grips over them. I cleaned with alcohol, then used alcohol as the lubricant, seem to be locked nicely in place, just rode.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think I've still got a can with all my bike tools, last used 10+ years ago probably.
I think in some cases I was finding that was melting/breaking down the grips. The rubber is so grippy that as long as the surface is clean, it seems to do just fine. The catch 22 is if just a tiny bit of moisture gets in there, then they start spinning.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Wooooooo. Tomorrows ride will be the first ride with a shock that doesnt clunk since last year. Dvo Topaz mounted and ready.

Have some bits from North Shore Billet on the way still.

Would not be lying if I said I was closely eyeing up a RidEgg Shred Dogg with a DVO onyx sc on it....

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Anyone have a discount code for YT?
thinking of ditching the Yeti, and turning It into a very light 170mm F&R Capra 29-er.
Full XTR, Zeb fork, X2Float, Carbon wheels, yadda yadda...
fall/winter project...
would match my riding preferences much more than an XC bike.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
thinking of ditching the Yeti, and turning It into a very light 170mm F&R Capra 29-er.
fall/winter project...
Leaving the tribe to join the cult?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
fall/winter project...
A Scott Ransom would be even lighter. @Lelandjt has both, check here: https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/downhill-enduro-hybrid-ish.287933/#post-4434792

I recently got a Ransom too that I run as a pedalable downhill bike. I like it!