Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I run 160mm length bmx grips with my brake levers about an inch inboard from them. 800mm bars, and my hands are medium width but XL-XXL length. I love a bit of room on the grip to choke up on the bar sometimes.

I don't get why MTB grips are still 1980s-spec width: designed for front derailleurs, non-direct mount, and 22" bars. I assume part of the reason they are still so narrow is mold costs.

different strokes, nbd.

If I had my way, Ourys would have an inner flange, an extra "block" and a smaller "gutter" between the block and inner flange.

Don't get me wrong, I rode Oury lock-on and non-lockon for 15 years, and they are absolutely one of the best grips on the market for those of us with larger (longer) hands.

Where would you put it? (and I got pretty fat XL type hands)
IMG_2976 copy.jpg

Last edited:

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I think in some cases I was finding that was melting/breaking down the grips. The rubber is so grippy that as long as the surface is clean, it seems to do just fine. The catch 22 is if just a tiny bit of moisture gets in there, then they start spinning.
Interesting about breaking down. I’m a silicone convert and seem to go back and forth between alcohol and aqua net with each replacement. I’m not sure it matters much. If they’ve survived long enough to start moving it’s probably time to replace for the stink anyway.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
1595168045031.png

It's unbelievable to me how long this cassette has lasted. I have two of them and really, I've lost track. I know this is the oldest one, at least 4 seasons, maybe 5 or slightly more. I remember one time I had slight trouble with the chain meshing on the smallest gears, it would kind of hang up on some burrs...I filed a few down and the rest took care of themselves over time. A few chains later, two weeks ago, I noticed everything meshed nicely, except the biggest gear, I was getting a bit of slip, so if I get even the rest of the season, I don't really care, but it seems as good as ever. I remember 1x a season is what I used to get on Shimano, like clockwork.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Wanna know what comes out of too many days in a strict quarantine and too little riding time?

A giraffe bike, off course!

IMG_20200724_004948_684.jpg

Also the old Roco shat the bed, so I got a cheap but brand new Suntour TriAir shock.

I still have to give it a proper ride, but the trails near my house are closed until mid August due to the mandatory social isolation... I haven't even been able to test the Slackerizer I put in back in March yet :nopity:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
View attachment 147644

It's unbelievable to me how long this cassette has lasted. I have two of them and really, I've lost track. I know this is the oldest one, at least 4 seasons, maybe 5 or slightly more. I remember one time I had slight trouble with the chain meshing on the smallest gears, it would kind of hang up on some burrs...I filed a few down and the rest took care of themselves over time. A few chains later, two weeks ago, I noticed everything meshed nicely, except the biggest gear, I was getting a bit of slip, so if I get even the rest of the season, I don't really care, but it seems as good as ever. I remember 1x a season is what I used to get on Shimano, like clockwork.
:stupid:
Mine is on its fifth season. Over the winter, I bought another one from Commençal (they were selling them as OEM at cost) thinking after 4 seasons, mine would need to be retired. But nope. It's still shifting beautifully. Finding a 42t replacement may get tougher though. OneUp told me they'd discontinued them, and I think even WolfTooth is not making any new ones. Which reminds me... I think I'll go procure one now.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
:stupid:
Mine is on its fifth season. Over the winter, I bought another one from Commençal (they were selling them as OEM at cost) thinking after 4 seasons, mine would need to be retired. But nope. It's still shifting beautifully. Finding a 42t replacement may get tougher though. OneUp told me they'd discontinued them, and I think even WolfTooth is not making any new ones. Which reminds me... I think I'll go procure one now.
I bought one from commie too for wife's rigid 29er when we converted it to 2x11.

I've got 3 years on my 1150 cassette on my trail bike with plenty of miles and climbing vert.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Wanna know what comes out of too many days in a strict quarantine and too little riding time?

A giraffe bike, off course!

View attachment 147831

Also the old Roco shat the bed, so I got a cheap but brand new Suntour TriAir shock.

I still have to give it a proper ride, but the trails near my house are closed until mid August due to the mandatory social isolation... I haven't even been able to test the Slackerizer I put in back in March yet :nopity:
What happened @slimshady? :D
The Loamwolf guys liked the Tri-Air shock hopefully it would treat you well too. Isn't it very similar to the DVO air shock?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Got it up and running today. After playing with adjustments a bit on the ride, I hit upon just the right amount of rebound that made it feel amazing and I felt like I was ripping it all up. Now that I'm home I realize I was missing about an inch of travel and need to lower the pressure more. Not a bad problem to have. It was already starting to feel pretty damn good. This has the FvAT/HSB floating valve and just a few less clicks of compression had a big effect on how soft it felt. The rebound clicks also seem to make a bigger difference than on my "bigger" cart.

109369964_10102107390724288_2808740394633441703_n.jpg

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Avy’s Rebound range on my cart is very incremental but makes sense, all of it is actually usable. I actually had to call Craig to check I installed correctly since the fork wouldn’t slow right down.

As to your Rebound experience I just opened up my non-Avied Lyrik (2 clicks) and also felt I hit the sweet spot. I just got my RS Super Deluxe Tuned due to Rebound issues, which now has a full useable range, and this highlighted the shortfall in my fork. I generally feel like I set and forget with the odd tweak, but my current settings feel awesome. A good feeling.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Avy’s Rebound range on my cart is very incremental but makes sense, all of it is actually usable. I actually had to call Craig to check I installed correctly since the fork wouldn’t slow right down.

As to your Rebound experience I just opened up my non-Avied Lyrik (2 clicks) and also felt I hit the sweet spot. I just got my RS Super Deluxe Tuned due to Rebound issues, which now has a full useable range, and this highlighted the shortfall in my fork. I generally feel like I set and forget with the odd tweak, but my current settings feel awesome. A good feeling.
This is a much shorter travel application, so I'm curious if some of that influences the adjustments. I'm not talking about stupid-slow rebound where the thing won't even come up (what's the use in that?) just being able to feel 1 click fairly well, vs. having to usually turn 2 for a subtle change. Going to go out and ride this bike some more later on today.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
True. I rationalized it because I was selling 3 bikes and going to 2. My only regret is selling my hardtail though.
I absolutely love riding a hardtail at certain places, so I am gonna need another one of those.

No need to rationalize here, this is a safe space for bike hoarding.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
True. I rationalized it because I was selling 3 bikes and going to 2. My only regret is selling my hardtail though.
I absolutely love riding a hardtail at certain places, so I am gonna need another one of those.
Sell the hardtail? What is this madness?! :P

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
One of mine is a 10 year old 29er Ti hardtal, made by Lynskey, prototype Salsa that I ride rigid.

Used as my adventure/gravel/bikepacking whatever bike. Great to give a different challenge on singletrack versus riding the trail bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'll say this, while I do ride fat-bikes in the winter on trails, it's 180 degrees from riding a hardtail, even a fat-bike, on a trail in the summer. That kind of pounding is for the youngins. A few years ago I tried to race a hardtail. It sucked.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just got my Chromag Phase 30 rims laced to my hubs. (I think these are the fifth or sixth set of rims these hubs have worn over ten years or so). It'll be first time going wide (internal is 30mm). I'm curious to know how they'll feel, if I can tell any difference at all.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
20200812_192339_compress39.jpg

Latest updates are the EX532 laced to a 350 hub. WorldwideCyclery did me a solid and hooked me up with a 54 tooth ratchet for the one I blew up after a ride and a half. Also installed a 2 degree Works Compenent headset on. Wheelbase sitting at a modest 1330mm now.

Otherwise still loving this beast. Pretty happy with the Michelin Wild Enduro tires. They've done what I've expected of them and the 11spd Shimano SLX has been a workhorse so no real need to do much of anything there aside from maintenance. The DVO shock is just meh. Just waiting until someone posts a deal on a used 8.5x2.5 shock that is a better chassis the has more damping range or aftermarket tuning support. As for the Yari, still surprised at how reasonable it is. Thinking about having Avy convert my old Boxxer cartridge for it, but then I'm afraid I'd really hate the DVO. Leaning towards refreshing the brakes first instead. 223mm rotors, new pads, and perhaps new levers since servowave levers die after a year for me and shimano levers cost peanuts.