Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
First new part for the bike in a very long time... maybe since 2014. Looks pretty nice... has an industrial vibe to it.

DD73B06E-554D-4EF4-904F-F4680BC5FE9C.jpeg
B97B188F-7676-4A90-A2E9-18F8094285B2.jpeg

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
New panniers in back, new basket up front for the commuter.

Needs some final adjustment, and getting the fender reinstalled.

20210330_000304.jpg
20210330_000246.jpg

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

trying out the old formulas on the big meth creation. Converted to external routing for the time being. A few rub zones I need to figure out and one of the C clips went flying across the room during install but we'll see how it lasts.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
OG gravity dropper
What he said. Plus the actuator button pull thingy connected to the main seat post became disbonded with/from whatever sort of epoxy they use. And actually it has done that multiple times during its tenure in my possession. I used to just J-B Weld it back on and finally I said fuck it and just went nuts with zip ties I mean hey it's only on the commuter, right?

1" and 4" drop. Near 20 years old, still functions beautifully.

I actually have a roughly 10 year old version with a remote all set up to fit any of my bikes in case of road trip failure of my main posts. 27.2mm with shim, zip ties for external cable management. Rides in the back of the car bike shit emergency box.

GD is sorely off the back now in terms of dropper technology. But if you just wanted ultimate reliability and ease-of-use man they are it. If I were going to be touring the world with a bike and using a dropper post I would use one of those over anything else no question.

Spare post for reference. Has a crappy Thompson remote pre-attached. Makes it easy to bolt it on and go after removal of the "shat the bed" post if needed. Or if you have a few more minutes, could use the original remote from my existing droppers. Shim to fit all my bikes included.

FWIW, this post has saved a good half a dozen other people's rides from dropperless Hell during its lifespan in the back of my car.

16171405220332610461430073748479.jpg

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, after a few hundred miles on the Altitude, let's just say that I am impressed as shit. It makes riding the uber-chunk easier than anything I have ever ridden outside of a full DH rig... But climbs amazingly well. I know this sounds like ad copy, but it's all true. Horst Link still rocks!
Next I am going to try it mulletized, and with a DHX. Should be some fun experiments...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What he said. Plus the actuator button pull thingy connected to the main seat post became disbonded with/from whatever sort of epoxy they use. And actually it has done that multiple times during its tenure in my possession. I used to just J-B Weld it back on and finally I said fuck it and just went nuts with zip ties I mean hey it's only on the commuter, right?

1" and 4" drop. Near 20 years old, still functions beautifully.

I actually have a roughly 10 year old version with a remote all set up to fit any of my bikes in case of road trip failure of my main posts. 27.2mm with shim, zip ties for external cable management. Rides in the back of the car bike shit emergency box.

GD is sorely off the back now in terms of dropper technology. But if you just wanted ultimate reliability and ease-of-use man they are it. If I were going to be touring the world with a bike and using a dropper post I would use one of those over anything else no question.

Spare post for reference. Has a crappy Thompson remote pre-attached. Makes it easy to bolt it on and go after removal of the "shat the bed" post if needed. Or if you have a few more minutes, could use the original remote from my existing droppers. Shim to fit all my bikes included.

FWIW, this post has saved a good half a dozen other people's rides from dropperless Hell during its lifespan in the back of my car.

View attachment 158348
I have a NOS one as backup, but the remote lever does not unlock the post anymore. Any idea what could be the reason before I start diassembling it? Hard to find a manual for those.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I have a NOS one as backup, but the remote lever does not unlock the post anymore. Any idea what could be the reason before I start diassembling it? Hard to find a manual for those.

Top cap too tight/too loose, or same idea but the cable. Or the bits where the remote cable joins the main post - if those are too tight/too loose it won't work right either.

Otherwise, something corroded/stuck inside?

They are pretty easy to work on. As a back up post, it's better than no remote dropper, and with a shim can work on near any bike. Their biggest downfall is a really terrible remote. I've an unused Wolftooth remote to try with mine. If it works decently, it makes it an even better backup option.

Warning: exploded diagram content

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Top cap too tight/too loose, or same idea but the cable. Or the bits where the remote cable joins the main post - if those are too tight/too loose it won't work right either.

Otherwise, something corroded/stuck inside?

They are pretty easy to work on. As a back up post, it's better than no remote dropper, and with a shim can work on near any bike. Their biggest downfall is a really terrible remote. I've an unused Wolftooth remote to try with mine. If it works decently, it makes it an even better backup option.

Warning: exploded diagram content

Thanks. Somehow my Google Fu is a little rusty and I didn't find that. :confused:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Just ordered an XTR rear hub on a DT 511 rim, 27.5, for $199 brand new.
And a Dissector with a DH casing.
Mullet Paraphernalia.
Trying to order a DHX, but eta is ‘close to never’.
The Altitude started as a ‘weight weenie’ version (yet with a Zeb, etc), but is going on a durability weight gaining diet.