Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Mullet? How tall are you and where's your geometry coming in at? WB, BB height, CS, HA?
Full wagon wheel at the moment, but going to experiment. I'm 6' tall and it's coming in at 1295 mm WB, 332 mm BBH, 446 mm CS, 62.1° HTA as configured.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
A while ago my water bottle cage slipped so the bottle rubbed a spot on my coil spring, which eventually got rusty. I found out one of my MTB buddies has a small powder coater at work, so asked him to recoat it. Turned out pretty good (changed to silver to match all the rest of the accents on my bike)!
IMG_1424.JPG

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got a good deal on csu for the 38... 2 small scuffs on stanchion non issue....figured I'd throw em on if I screw em up I have my others for back up.
Now the air is inside a tube inside stanchion they pose no issue. They are light small scuffs no deformation..got em really cheap ..now I don't need to worry about doing it first.

From performance to factory.
Now kashima, grip 2 was cheap building it basically from scratch.

20210825_170130.jpg

20210826_064327.jpg
20210826_064405.jpg

Before
20210809_171715.jpg
20210809_163201.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
pfft. i use them as my one tire for all riding. i'd rather know i won't flat than save a few ounces.
For me, it'll depend on what I'm doing. For park (and there's now the local park too) it's a no-brainer, but on 40-50 mile rides, I'd rather not lug that weight around and just deal with some EXOs. I realize I can't let the EXOs go too long, but they do well enough when I'm not hitting stuff crazy hard and when I start hitting stuff hard, it's the rocky stuff that always gets the EXOs. I have 3 plugs in the front of my EXO, haha. But that's mostly because one day I went to the park without having proper casings. For an all-around trail tire, I find EXO to be pretty great.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Double Ds are exactly as heavy as you'd think.

Assguy wasn't bad.
Isn't the only difference between DD and DH that they use twin 120ply instead of twin 60 ply for the casing? Makes sense that there's only like 50g difference.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Isn't the only difference between DD and DH that they use twin 120ply instead of twin 60 ply for the casing? Makes sense that there's only like 50g difference.
Could be, not sure. Low TPI tires feel like ass to me though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A while ago my water bottle cage slipped so the bottle rubbed a spot on my coil spring, which eventually got rusty. I found out one of my MTB buddies has a small powder coater at work, so asked him to recoat it. Turned out pretty good (changed to silver to match all the rest of the accents on my bike)!
View attachment 163963
Quick. Grab a sharpie and write the spring rate on it before you forget.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I wanted to say "THANKS" to those who suggested going up to a 38...few things can I feel a more controlled line and such a broad increase overall...with my weight and riding the 38 does offer more supple line and feels solid in rocks...I LOVE the 36, I think it's an amazing fork but you guys were right...the 38 is a more solid foundation for me...
So thanks........

@SylentK that thing looks amazing...want to see a full shot...good welds, nice polish...hurry up and give us a better shot...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@bullcrew & @JM look at my purses!

And the new coilover, fuck I forgot how fun they are.
View attachment 164146
A top tube sac, a downtube sac, a butt sac and a nut sac...shit you sactastic!!!!

Lol if it has what you need when you need it who cares...man I've needed crap on trail a few times that a some sac would have held...so now it's camelback...

Love coilovers, forgot how smooth till summit and I was on coil...looks badass....love the fox shocks...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I wanted to say "THANKS" to those who suggested going up to a 38...few things can I feel a more controlled line and such a broad increase overall...with my weight and riding the 38 does offer more supple line and feels solid in rocks...I LOVE the 36, I think it's an amazing fork but you guys were right...the 38 is a more solid foundation for me...
So thanks........

@SylentK that thing looks amazing...want to see a full shot...good welds, nice polish...hurry up and give us a better shot...
Just wait for the 43…

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
@bullcrew & @JM look at my purses!

And the new coilover, fuck I forgot how fun they are.
View attachment 164146
Yeah, I was carrying shit in the main 3 bags on my bike yesterday, and a water bottle in the cage. But I had nothing on my body and it was great. Carrying a packable jacket, extra not-wet gloves, food, tool kit, tube, etc., but not much more. If there’s one thing we know how to do in Alaska it’s pack shit on bikes.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Good effort with the crop, but we can still see the motor. :D
LMAO!

Truth told, I was trying to make the file size smaller.*

Anyways. I'll post more pics when I figure out a good way to not crop and limit file size.

As you guys probably know, I don't post much and love my ebikes! Keep on giving me shit! Love it :D

It's a 2021 Commencal Meta Power TR Signature. I don't think they offer any other bike in the polished color. It's so rad! I've had 3 polished aluminum bikes in my day and couldn't resist. (early 1990's GT Zaskar, 2001 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2000 something Turner DHR - All rad bikes) And I used to have a Commencal Meta 4 back in the day. One of my fav's for sure. I think my buddy still has it.

The bike rails. I'd totally buy the "regular" Meta TR if I were capable. Other reasons why I went with this bike/build. I love Shimano XT and DTswiss and Fox. Ticked all the boxes. Only thing I'm worried about is the e13 cranks. (my last e13 cranks on my DH bike lasted maybe a season? Was way dissapoint)

Something new I did was went with a smaller size than normal. I was in between a L and XL. And went L. I'd usually go default XL at 6'3". I can feel the smaller reach in the climbs, I smacked my knee against the handlebar, which I haven't done in forever thanks to the new "long" standard and XL frames I'm used to. But boy is it way easier to DH, do direction changes, hop, maneuver and wiggle! Especially on this 50lb machine.

Anyways, flame away, and I'll post more pictures of the EP8 motor when I get the chance, HA! She sure is a beaut!

*It's 2021 and we still have to limit file sizes?!?!?! FFS! I'm no Binary Visions and have no concept how much it costs, but really?! Isn't storage space like free these days?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It's 2021 and we still have to limit file sizes?!?!?! FFS! I'm no Binary Visions and have no concept how much it costs, but really?! Isn't storage space like free these days?
Given Bike mag went bust and RM could vanish any day, I think we can cope with anything that keeps the site alive.

(apart from e-moped ad's :p)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Have you seen the Rockgeist Gondola? It lets you get full drop, well until your tire hits it.
View attachment 164257
Stupid place for a bag in my experience. Maybe a tiny bag with a tool in it, but that weight is in the worst possible place. On some of the gravel/touring stuff it blows my mind they are choosing those over micro paniers.