Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bullcrew breathing some DH back into the DH forum!

I believe those use the FR570 rims (awesome rims!), now updated as the FR560 also.
My favourites for the big bikes.
Yeah the 560 is the cross over for replacement from what I could come up with...the 26" rear wheel I built up for the smaller mullet was a 570...tough ass rim...
I figured those for rear and ex511 should handle duties up front if not then 560 laced for front..

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Speaking of welding, how about your second steel front triangle ?
It’s coming along nicely but slowly. It’s raining today so I think I can maybe finish my frame jig? I‘ve got a lot to learn so it‘s taking a while. Making the different adapters for bb and ht and keeping it on a centerline with junk yard alu profiles is tricky. Want a good laugh? Check my jig’s current status! Boxxer crowns and dm stems to hold tubing, wtf? Haha.

EEC59C0F-1367-4000-8B48-9D82841E6F77.jpeg

I got three sets of straight gauge tubing so if I fuck it up I have another chance. I’m going to make a “BSO” for starters and hopefully it’s rideable.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
It’s coming along nicely but slowly. It’s raining today so I think I can maybe finish my frame jig? I‘ve got a lot to learn so it‘s taking a while. Making the different adapters for bb and ht and keeping it on a centerline with junk yard alu profiles is tricky. Want a good laugh? Check my jig’s current status! Boxxer crowns and dm stems to hold tubing, wtf? Haha.

View attachment 166356

I got three sets of straight gauge tubing so if I fuck it up I have another chance. I’m going to make a “BSO” for starters and hopefully it’s rideable.
Ho, you gonna build it yourself ! That's a nice challenge!

Nice jig :brows:

A friend of mine also builds his own frames, sometimes reusing the back triangle from donator bikes and sometimes building the complete frame. https://instagram.com/dan_almberg?utm_medium=copy_link

BSO like in bande son originale? Or bright shiny object?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Setting up my play area for my bike and high end jobs....bike stand behind me and there's my build table to left I'll get a better shot when it doesn't look like my garage puked on itself....decided to clean it in process....yeah I'll kick my own ass if I think like that again...
View attachment 166349
Which brand of vise is that? It looks really well made.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ho, you gonna build it yourself ! That's a nice challenge!

Nice jig :brows:

A friend of mine also builds his own frames, sometimes reusing the back triangle from donator bikes and sometimes building the complete frame. https://instagram.com/dan_almberg?utm_medium=copy_link

BSO like in bande son originale? Or bright shiny object?
I’m going to try. Maybe it’ll even be rideable?

He makes some cool stuff!

BSO = Bicycle Shaped Object

I made some pivots, pivot holding things and started the seat tube miters. One of the pivots has a key way to stop the axle from spinning. It took me 3 tries to get that right. My Tig skills need some work.

18E6B259-BA39-47DB-8F61-818B611B6834.jpeg

C4E567A7-75E8-4690-B9A6-C163F4408CD6.jpeg

2215DD25-90AB-4E11-AD38-00904D101A24.jpeg

If all goes well this will be a 180mm travel freeride bike with a steeper seat angle than the last one.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Indeed! I just don't get where he finds the time for all that with a wife, 2 kids, a job and a fair share of riding... I suspect he doesn't need to sleep?

10-4 :triniti:

Practice makes perfection, they say.

Did you get some help to bend the downtube?
I bought it bent like that. Dedecacci something or other. My buddy that built my last front triangle bought the fancy Cobra tubing bender.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
20211022_150112_HDR_copy_1600x1200.jpg
Well, gents, this bike shreds. Took it to my favorite local loop (Phillips Ridge to Phillips Canyon). 2500 climb and descent. I didn’t quite have enough air pressure in the shock, so my impressions are skewed by being only in the trail and climb modes. Got a PR without really trying. Rear shock is a bit ‘primitive’ after years of running shocks with 4 or 5 adjustments, I will definitely be getting the FloatX.
Seatpost insertion is actually fine with the 175 Transfer (inseam of ~32”).
This is one of the chunkier descents locally, and there wasn’t a hint of chain tomfoolery, so I will try it without the guide for now.
Love the two water bottle mounts, makes choosing between a water bottle or bear spray a thing of the past. But the upper wb mounts are positioned strangely, I wish they were closer to the lower ones, so I could fit a small front frame bag as well.
The Tube in Tubes are the easiest ever, no silliness for the dropper post cable. Everything is very well thought out. The tubes are really sleek!
I still have some fine tuning to do, but I will be very happy with this bike!
It is what I always hoped my SB100 would be, but wasn’t…
(sorry for the really lousy picture)

Attachments

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Does replacing brake pads count? For me it does. Had to take out some fluid, these pads might be a bit fatter than stock.

2132841E-3598-41E6-8F22-BABF180255DF.jpeg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Making a stand to hold forks for draining and rebuilding...

Grabbed a older park tools stand I Will weld up a round flat stock with a tube that the mount slides I to with 4 holes to bolt it to table.
Ill drill a hole in it weld a nut outside and put a bolt so the stand can rotate right and left tighten bolt to hold it steady.
20211026_171630.jpg