Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just need the chainring to arrive, so I can put the Shimano cranks that @pizza diavola graciously ordered and picked up for me from the US and then the new tank will be done.

But barring any disastrous events or too much beer tonight, I'll be testing this out on some dirt tomorrow for the first time. Just making sure all the bolts are tight.

Got the Bomber shock mounted up and surprisingly am using a lower weight coil than I had initially thought. I do have another ready to swap in, in case the parking lot bounce test turns out to be wrong. Only downside combo of that shock and this frame, is that the rebound knob is pretty much not able to be turned without the aid of a plastic tire lever.

Oh yeah and I still need to get around to making a fender for the rear wheel, to help keep crud off the linkage bearings. And still need to put three key stickers on the frame, will report on those later.

Chain might be too long, but whatever.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
What tool bag is that?

And what's that knob thing under the water bottle?

Derailleur hanger I'm guessing...should have scrolled up.
27.5 tube with some tape around it, a Wolftooth bag strap. All my mtbs are 27.5/29 mullets, so a nice stretchy 27.5 x 2.4 tube works for everything in a pinch. It and the pump/flat kit stuff is super easy to move from bike to bike that way. With the big Zefal bottle, this make for a nice pack-less riding setup. The UDH is nice and burly, but it's also huge/an awkward shape. I don't expect to break one anytime soon, but still prefer to have a spare. This is my only bike that uses that, so this way it's always there.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
This is for my 12 years old. The idea is to go to some bikeparks soon. The bike is a giant trance from 2015 with 150-ish mm of travel front and rear. Mulleted for good measure, 26" rear and 27.5" front and slacken out with an angleset. I think it will be fine. It was fun to put together. Thanks @Flo33 for the rear damper!
20230410_102922.jpg

I wonder about the "chain tensioner" (old zee derailleur) the lower limit screw is all the way in and the load on it is mostly side load. I don't think it will hold well over time... maybe some of you run your dh bike singlespeed too and have some advice/experience to share?
I have a cassette and shifter if singlespeed on a dh/Park bike is a bad idea.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
This is for my 12 years old. The idea is to go to some bikeparks soon. The bike is a giant trance from 2015 with 150-ish mm of travel front and rear. Mulleted for good measure, 26" rear and 27.5" front and slacken out with an angleset. I think it will be fine. It was fun to put together. Thanks @Flo33 for the rear damper!
View attachment 192270

I wonder about the "chain tensioner" (old zee derailleur) the lower limit screw is all the way in and the load on it is mostly side load. I don't think it will hold well over time... maybe some of you run your dh bike singlespeed too and have some advice/experience to share?
I have a cassette and shifter if singlespeed on a dh/Park bike is a bad idea.
If we can tempt him back on here, I think @StiHacka ran/runs his DHR singlespeed if I'm remembering member/bike correctly.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. My old Sunday is singlespeed.

Haven't ridden it in over two years though. Should really just sell it.

Tensioner I used is this one

Posted plenty guff about the bike, it's spec and pics of the SS set-up in the Sunday thread. Read from this post onwards:

If you managed to read that far I also said a little more about the SS set-up here

Now that frame geometry has lengthened and wheel diameters grown both my old DH bikes are really only fit for kids or fucking about (not racing) on now.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have 3 sets of xt 785 brakes. they have largely been fine, but 2 of 3 sets are starting to exhibit wandering bite point but after many years. and the 3rd set had other issues, like a sliced brake line.

OG saints will replace the xt's on the megatrail
i have a set of formula R1s that need a bleed, might go on the scott or the yeti
and i have a set of brand new hayes a2s that were for a new build that may or may not happen this year. so there's a chance those wind up on the scott.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I got an inverted coil fork with open bath cartridge from a former obscure french company: a Fore from CR conception.
Screenshot_20230502_091431_Gallery.jpg

It sits on my trail bike.
And I got it before push revealed its own. I am not trying to be trendy in other words :brows:

It was a bit of a gamble to buy a fork from a former company knowing that I could not get any spare parts and now, after the first ride, I have to face that the spring rate is too soft :panic: :bonk: the rest of the fork feels good so far and I would like to find a stiffer spring for it even if it means cutting a spring from another brand.

Have you seen info about dimensions of coil springs for forks somewhere? I am mostly interested in the outer diameter. My google-fu didn't work today...
My fork has a coil with 25mm outer diameter which is probably on the small side compare to available coils for single crown forks like öhlins, formula, cane creek, etc...

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I got an inverted coil fork with open bath cartridge from a former obscure french company: a Fore from CR conception.
View attachment 193254
And I got it before push revealed its own. I am not trying to be trendy in other words :brows:

It was a bit of a gamble to buy a fork from a former company knowing that I could not get any spare parts and now, after the first ride, I have to face that the spring rate is too soft :panic: :bonk: the rest of the fork feels good so far and I would like to find a stiffer spring for it even if it means cutting a spring from another brand.

Have you seen info about dimensions of coil springs for forks somewhere? I am mostly interested in the outer diameter. My google-fu didn't work today...
My fork has a coil with 25mm outer diameter which is probably on the small side compare to available coil single crown forks like öhlins, formula, cane creek, etc...

My Vorsprung Smashpot coil is out of the fork at the moment.

Diameter looks to be about 1.060" with a length of about 15.75"

FWIW

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Thanks @mykel !
That would be close to 27mm in metric. I need to check the clearance on my fork.

I also found out that boxxer before 2009 had 32mm stanchions. There coils might fit too

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
View attachment 193254

My fork has a coil with 25mm outer diameter which is probably on the small side compare to available coils for single crown forks like öhlins, formula, cane creek, etc...
With Push’s giant crown overlap, im most concerned theyll **** it up with air springs and poppet valve damping. According to the latest cryptic response by push, it *might* be coil. The crown is a great example of exotic engineering to overcome an inherently inferior chassis, but its not to say it cant be done. Porsche is another good example making the rear engine layout so competitive, while not being an optimal starting point either.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
With Push’s giant crown overlap, im most concerned theyll **** it up with air springs and poppet valve damping. According to the latest cryptic response by push, it *might* be coil. The crown is a great example of exotic engineering to overcome an inherently inferior chassis, but its not to say it cant be done. Porsche is another good example making the rear engine layout so competitive, while not being an optimal starting point either.
Wonder if they will have a library of tunes they can plug in when you buy one... Is that not what they do with the shock?

On the spring, how about leveraging what he has and expand the springs available and re-purpose ACS3?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wonder if they will have a library of tunes they can plug in when you buy one... Is that not what they do with the shock?
yes but that is partially to do with leverage curves, etc of a particular frame. a fork won't have that. they'll just to it to rider's weight and riding style.

On the spring, how about leveraging what he has and expand the springs available and re-purpose ACS3?
while i honestly could see it going either way - coil sprung or air sprung - my money would be on coil sprung. only reason i wouldn't entirely rule out an air spring as i'm assuming the chassis is a bit beefed up (read: heavy) since its inverted. a coil spring would only add to that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
poked around the pictures from pb to see if i could glean anything on the spring side....... nothing visible on the bottom. thing on the top could be an air valve cap cover..... could be preload adjust.

1683153124799.png

1683153147620.png

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
poked around the pictures from pb to see if i could glean anything on the spring side....... nothing visible on the bottom. thing on the top could be an air valve cap cover..... could be preload adjust.

View attachment 193322

View attachment 193323

Ya, I understand the leverage curve, but that still does not negate the vast range of Joeys to Pinners weighing maybe a buck soaking wet to well over two bills. There is enough variability there for a tune or two. As for the top cap, Hybrid maybe?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
It will be interesting what Push has done on its fork.

My fancy inverted fork is 2.2kg for a 140mm 29er open bath coil boinger. Stanchions are 32mm ! Torsional stiffness is similar to a Pike. Bottom out resistance is set by adjusting the level of oil on the damper side: the volume of air above the oil acts as a spring (more oil = less air = stiffer bottom out air spring)
1683179206231.png

Bushings are mounted like on a moto fork

Last edited: