Quantcast

Northeast Monkeyfest 2005

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Wow! All you guys are staying the Moose Crossing place? Tell 'em I sent you and maybe I'll get a discount next time I stay there. :)

Actually, they gave me a discount last time because I found out about them through the Kingdom Trails Association web page.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
i'm sure i can search the thread, but what's the info on that place?
http://www.moosecrossingbb.com/

The prices on the website have not been updated and are something like $10 more per night. I think they quoted me $90/night, which in on the less expensive side for the area. The place I wanted to stay in was sold out due to a wedding, but BikeGeek stayed in this place and says it's nice (our room is in the barn annex). As I mentioned before, this place is near the bottom of the DH trail the monkeys take night runs on.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Where do people usually camp? I camped at Burke Mtn. campground last fall and it was cool. Any suggestions on other places to camp?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BikeGeek said:
I'm jealous. That woman serves up a really good breakfast.
Maybe if you are lucky, I'll be belching during our rides and you can get a sniff on the downwind (of course that means you'd have to be behind me, which probably isn't going to happen).

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
McGRP01 said:
Where do people usually camp? I camped at Burke Mtn. campground last fall and it was cool. Any suggestions on other places to camp?
I like the campground too, but last July we stayed at a RM member's camp at the top of Moose Alley. Nice place, but a weird us/them vibe from some of the other people staying there.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
McGRP01 said:
"Monkeycamp" has been set up in NeGladeRider's backyard the last two years, but we have not yet approached him about it for this year. Some people have stayed at the Burke Mountain campground.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
BikeGeek said:
I like the campground too, but last July we stayed at a RM member's camp at the top of Moose Alley.
That's right, I remember the pics now. I'm just trying to figure out where I should reserve a site now. Don't think I can afford to stay at a B&B.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I Are Baboon said:
Maybe if you are lucky, I'll be belching during our rides and you can get a sniff on the downwind (of course that means you'd have to be behind me, which probably isn't going to happen).
If you guys eat on the screen porch around back I'll hide in the shrubs and you can slip me some of that baked egg and bacon stuff she made. :drool:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
McGRP01 said:
That's right, I remember the pics now. I'm just trying to figure out where I should reserve a site now. Don't think I can afford to stay at a B&B.
That's a good point. The trails up there are seeing a lot more users and the camp sites fill up fast. I think I'll call and reserve a lean-to site.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BikeGeek said:
If you guys eat on the screen porch around back I'll hide in the shrubs and you can slip me some of that baked egg and bacon stuff she made. :drool:
Just as long you don't ask me to slip you some sausage. :eek:

BikeGeek said:
That's a good point. The trails up there are seeing a lot more users and the camp sites fill up fast. I think I'll call and reserve a lean-to site.
If anyone is even thinking of staying at Burke Mountain, I would not wait to book a site. Even if you decide not to camp there and lose a deposit, what is it, $12 a night? Big whup. NeGladeRider's yard did get somewhat crowded last year, and it looks like even more people will show this year.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
BikeGeek said:
For sure! We went in late Sept. last year and the campsite was booked solid!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I just called Burke Mtn and they referred me to someone named RJ. I emailed him and am waiting to hear back on availabilities for the weekend. I let you know what I'll hear.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
I guess the big question is will NEGladerider offer up his yard for camping again this year huh?
Yeah, but I just don't want to impose. He's been more than generous, but I don't want to make it look like we expect anything.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
While the stunts are cool and the camp locaton is prime, we had a pretty awesome time when we (Deyv, Jozz, jdcamb, others) stayed at the campground for Monkeyfest v1.5 (fall). If they're available, I'm getting a lean-to site if anyone is interested.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BikeGeek said:
While the stunts are cool and the camp locaton is prime, we had a pretty awesome time when we (Deyv, Jozz, jdcamb, others) stayed at the campground for Monkeyfest v1.5 (fall). If they're available, I'm getting a lean-to site if anyone is interested.
Not to mention they have showers, which jdcamb was nice enough to let me, MBC and Tammy poach last year. :)

I Are Baboon said:
Not to mention they have showers, which jdcamb was nice enough to let me, MBC and Tammy poach last year. :)

while we are talking about camping, I just have to get this off my chest.... It's not the camping per se that I don't like - I mean, I don't mind sleeping in a tent, the air mattress was even comfortable and it was cool so the breeze was nice it's the having to get up and pee in the middle of the night and needing the flashlight and your shoes.... and it's the snakes and the animals that like to come around the campground and sniff around and see what they can eat..... and when not staying at a campground - it's the lack of shower and bathroom facilities.

There, I feel better.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
MtnBikerChk said:
while we are talking about camping, I just have to get this off my chest.... It's not the camping per se that I don't like - I mean, I don't mind sleeping in a tent, the air mattress was even comfortable and it was cool so the breeze was nice it's the having to get up and pee in the middle of the night and needing the flashlight and your shoes.... and it's the snakes and the animals that like to come around the campground and sniff around and see what they can eat..... and when not staying at a campground - it's the lack of shower and bathroom facilities.

There, I feel better.
We had no problems with animals the 4 times I have stayed at the campground. I have never seen any snakes in VT. The flys can still be bad in July. The leanto sites are the tits. Bring firewood if you stay at the campgrounds. When we run out we will trade you for beer.....

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Laura and I will be present at Monkeyfest - just booked a room at the B&B that IAB and MBC are staying at.

The lady is sooooo nice!

There are still a few rooms available FYI.

Wooo Hooo!!!!

This is going to be one kickass way to celebrate my birthday!! :dancing: :dancing:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
Laura and I will be present at Monkeyfest - just booked a room at the B&B that IAB and MBC are staying at.
:dancing:

Let's see...three rooms in the annex...you've got one, me and mbc have got one....narlus is on the clock.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
:dancing:

Let's see...three rooms in the annex...you've got one, me and mbc have got one....narlus is on the clock.
Send him a reminder card - maybe if we book the Annex up entirely with Monkeys we can get a little discount. :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hey remember back when all the choice property in East Burke was for sale??? I think BikeGeek posted a thread about it - I wonder if it sold and if so, who the new owners are???

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
Is that where everybody else is camping? That'd be a cruel april fools joke to tell me you're at a different campsite than you're really at. Funny, but cruel

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Crazy Sweeper said:
Is that where everybody else is camping? That'd be a cruel april fools joke to tell me you're at a different campsite than you're really at. Funny, but cruel
Sweep, one of the monkeys here has been nice enough to allow everyone to camp in his huge backyard the last two years. He's got a place right in the middle of Kingdom Trails. We're not sure if that's going to happen again this year. Either way, some people are going to stay at the Burke Mountain campground regardless.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
Sweep, one of the monkeys here has been nice enough to allow everyone to camp in his huge backyard the last two years. He's got a place right in the middle of Kingdom Trails. We're not sure if that's going to happen again this year. Either way, some people are going to stay at the Burke Mountain campground regardless.

I haven't seen NEGladerider post on the Monkey in ages.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
I'm in for this insanity, assuming I can find a caretaker for the farm.

Today I tore the derailleur offa my S-Works. Bent the rear hanger bolt thingie too. Bent one spoke (the derailleur ended up inside the wheel stuck in the spokes). Hopefully we can bang that biayotch back into "straight enough" and keep riding.

Maybe this year JBP or myself can really get hurt. None of this "almost killed ourselves" nonsense. Or perhaps we can rope another family member into showing up and taking a primo faceplant. :dead:

anyone had any luck reserving a camping space yet? I'm in on that scene if it happens. NeGladeRider's campground is sweet what with the stunts, marshmallow roasting pit, sound system and injury potential, but showers are nice things too. Maybe we can all bring a few bits o lumber, nails, etc and build a few stunts at the campground.... :drool:

Aloha,

Pigboy
ps. we've had over 25" of rain since last Saturday at 11am. my moss is growing moss. my fungus has athlete's foot.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Just heard from RJ at the Burke Mtn Campground that there are some lean-tos and "plenty of tent sites" available for 22-24 July. I replied asking for a phone number so I can reserve a lean-to site. I'll post up the number when I get it.