Quantcast

Old School Rules

Brookes

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
Just GREAT!

FYI If anyone goes to Jersey to ride Diablo, and very good friend of mine has a BMX museum in his home.

It's like going back in time......I gave him my Quadangle for everyone to enjoy.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Dude I rode all of the old Texas AFA contests... I rode Masters Vert with Greg Guillotte. Scott Patterson is a cool dude for sure...
Scott is my uncle. I just saw him the other day in Austin when I went back home to visit. He and I are very very close. He is coming to Colorado this summer to do some DH with me. Funny, he is the reason I began to get into DH when I moved here.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Yes, That's me. My family were the ones who did all the AFA Comps.

-Billy
awesome. i'd like to thank your family for putting in so much effort on all of that. those were amazing times in bmx. the progression of riding was so fast. ever time i'd show up to a contest, dudes were pulling new stuff and i had barely learned last year's tricks. with no internet, very few videos, almost no skateparks/bikeparks, and no 9th street, the comps were everything.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
awesome. i'd like to thank your family for putting in so much effort on all of that. those were amazing times in bmx. the progression of riding was so fast. ever time i'd show up to a contest, dudes were pulling new stuff and i had barely learned last year's tricks. with no internet, very few videos, almost no skateparks/bikeparks, and no 9th street, the comps were everything.
It's funny, I have alot of friends and people I have met whom say that he (Scott) had a huge influence on them as a kid. Those were awesome times for sure! Austin was and is a great city. It's the place I call HOME. I live in Denver, Colorado now and Race and Ride MTB and BMX still, but Austin, Texas is HOME and it's where I spent many years racing and riding. I competed at those comps as well. I was fresh out of BMX racing and I jumped right into Freestyle with Scott. It was so cool every summer I got to ride with Eddie Fiola, Martin, Josh white, Dave Volker and more due to the fact that Scott was the Freestyle Team Manager for GT Bicycles. My family, Gary Turner, and the Long family go way back to the beginning of GT. I still have somewhere, one of the first 7 GT frames ever made. Being that Scott is my uncle, It was fun being able to ride and test all the ramps before anyone else as they were being built. Unfortunately it's also what lead to the worst injury I have ever had. While testing a big blue ramp he had just built, I crashed and Blew out my right knee severely hyper-extending to point of my right foot touching my hip, two broken bones in my lower leg and ruined any further chance of an athletic career not to mention also a serious concussion to go with it. None the less, the people like Matt Hoffman and Dave Mirra who got their starts at those comps are unreal. Life is Good.

Jon Kerr

Chimp
Jan 30, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
This is awesome. I do remember a lot of this stuff. I wasn't really into the race scene too much out here but I love the mags and some of the videos in the lat 80's, early 90's. RAD was and still is one of my favorite movies of all time. I haven't read through the whole thread so forgive me if someone mentioned it already, but anyone know if RAD was ever really released on DVD and if there's anywhere to get it? I've looked on Ebay but I got screwed on one that was supposedly a studo released DVD. It turned out to be a VHS tape (really bad copy too) that someone had converted and put onto a DVDR and made a label on their computer. You could say I was slightly pissed since I paid $40 for the damn thing. :shocked:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
This is awesome. I do remember a lot of this stuff. I wasn't really into the race scene too much out here but I love the mags and some of the videos in the lat 80's, early 90's. RAD was and still is one of my favorite movies of all time. I haven't read through the whole thread so forgive me if someone mentioned it already, but anyone know if RAD was ever really released on DVD and if there's anywhere to get it? I've looked on Ebay but I got screwed on one that was supposedly a studo released DVD. It turned out to be a VHS tape (really bad copy too) that someone had converted and put onto a DVDR and made a label on their computer. You could say I was slightly pissed since I paid $40 for the damn thing. :shocked:
It hasn't been released on DVD. But, there are some high quality bootlegs out there that have been copied from VHS to DVD. I picked up a decent one on ebay. Was it the one that included the soundtrack on a separate CD? Look for that one. The guy put a lot of time into it, it even has a menu and scene selection on the DVD.

Jon Kerr

Chimp
Jan 30, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
It hasn't been released on DVD. But, there are some high quality bootlegs out there that have been copied from VHS to DVD. I picked up a decent one on ebay. Was it the one that included the soundtrack on a separate CD? Look for that one. The guy put a lot of time into it, it even has a menu and scene selection on the DVD.
Wasn't that one. The picture showed a color DVD case and all. I got it, there was a black and white photocopy stuffed under the clear plastic on the DVD case and the label on the disk looked like a 5 year old cut it out. Then on top of it, the "DVD" playback looked like the tracking needed fixed through the whole movie.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Thanks guys. Reading this thread on Friday had me watching clips of Rad all weekend and buying a beat-to-hell Haro off eBay this morning...

My wife is gonna kill me.

Jon Kerr

Chimp
Jan 30, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
I was thinking about looking to see if I could find my old bike out there too. Actually started searching around but not with any real conviction. My last BMX mike was a '93 GT Mach One. I was just getting ready to start racing when it was stolen from the bike rack at the weight room in high school and my parents were done with bikes. Never did get to race BMX. :disgust1:

What were the pads everyone had in the early 90's with graffiti all over them? I had some that were black with a florescent green splash job. That and a black Crit plate.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
I was thinking about looking to see if I could find my old bike out there too. Actually started searching around but not with any real conviction. My last BMX mike was a '93 GT Mach One. I was just getting ready to start racing when it was stolen from the bike rack at the weight room in high school and my parents were done with bikes. Never did get to race BMX. :disgust1:

What were the pads everyone had in the early 90's with graffiti all over them? I had some that were black with a florescent green splash job. That and a black Crit plate.
Oh wow. I had completely forgotten about those pads...

I'd love to get my old bike back. '87 Mongoose Californian. Sky blue. Stolen out of my shed in '97, along with my Rockhopper, Iguana SE, and Canondale...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin

was it Bomber ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Bomber-BMX-Number-Plate-OLD-MID-SCHOOL-Rare-Find_W0QQitemZ180231012596QQihZ008QQcategoryZ42310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin

or do you mean 'pads' like kneepads and shinguards.... Hammer.

Jon Kerr

Chimp
Jan 30, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
There you go. Bomber pads.

I actually hit a BMX track for the first time in 15 years tonight. A friend of mine is just getting into BMX racing and I went to bring him a Fox Jersey and took my helmet so he could see what I ride with. He goes "wanna ride my bike during practice?" :biggrin: Oh hell yes. Tossed my helmet on and went out there. Jeans and all. I was so slow but damn it was fun. They have a mountain bike class. I'm in next week. :)

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Bomber pads and plates were the sh!t. I loved that stuff. I found this pic of me from back in the day. It must have been taken during my 1st or 2nd year of racing, so 89/90ish. I remember those Phil Wood hubs. I think I still have them laying around somewhere.

Jon Kerr

Chimp
Jan 30, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
Very nice. I couldn't believe how much things have change in the BMX race scene as far as bike designs and such since I was there last time. It was pretty insane.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Very nice. I couldn't believe how much things have change in the BMX race scene as far as bike designs and such since I was there last time. It was pretty insane.
I agree. It has changed in ways, but in others not so much.
My son and I both race BMX and I run a 2 part team in Colorado that consists of crossover BMX riders between MTB's and BMX. The bikes, the tracks, and certain other things have changed. The way I see it is the more it changes, the more it stays the same. It's the same game, different faces. BMX is in a transitional phase. I see the olympics helping BMX racing goto places it has yet to go. Only time will tell for sure.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
wasn't there another "jon kerr" or maybe "tim kerr"?? related to the early and mid 80's bmx, photography, maybe bmx plus. i can't remember where i remember that name from....

Jon Kerr

Chimp
Jan 30, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
wasn't there another "jon kerr" or maybe "tim kerr"?? related to the early and mid 80's bmx, photography, maybe bmx plus. i can't remember where i remember that name from....
Wasn't me. Wouldn't have been old enough in the mid 80's to do any photography. I was only born in 78. ;) If you have ever had anything to do with RC car racing, that may be where you've heard my name. :biggrin:

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Wasn't me. Wouldn't have been old enough in the mid 80's to do any photography. I was only born in 78. ;) If you have ever had anything to do with RC car racing, that may be where you've heard my name. :biggrin:

IKNEW that name was familiar... EXPLAIN! PM me if you dont wanna post it here.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
heh heh, yeah i know it wasn't you. but check out this video at minute 4:43

Jon Kerr

Chimp
Jan 30, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
Well, all this looking back at BMX stuff from when I was growing up and going to the track this week to hang out with a friend who's getting back into BMX racing made me go out and pick up my first BMX bike in 15 years today. :happydance: Just picked this up today. Haro Group 1 24" cruiser. I'll be racing Monday. I'll be slow, but it'll be fun. :)