Quantcast

Old School Rules

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Rad stuff, geeksher. I came across this vid on the 2six blog. It's from '93 which was more my era of racing. Although, I would have been 14X at the time, not in 6 expert like our boy T-Sage in this video...

T-Sage calls Dwight Tardy the dirtiest racer of all time. LOL.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Here are a couple of personal pics from our local track circa 1980. That's my older brother (230) dicing with Andy Patterson (18).
Leary doing his thang.
Guy how's it going? How is George these days? and btw, I believe the "Rampar" 19s rider behind Harry doing his signature "Leary" is Larry Bleteman(sp?) if memory serves me right. RIP Larry. :(
Nice Pics guy, I've got a few pics I am working to get scanned from S.A. and all around.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
One more. Oh, man, watching these really brings back the memories. This vid features almost all of the dudes that I was racing with at nationals... Chris Acaccia, Kevin Royal, George Andrews, Andy Contes, Tyler Shaw. I love just listening to the announcer. And is it just me, or are those 11 year olds FLYING?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Check out what I found on Ebay. :rockout:

Word... I have 3 of them.

Edit: And I always wanted another shirt from the movie. It's the blue shirt that the red head kid is wearing when Wes kicks him in the shins, it says "Bart Taylor. The Man." And has a silhouette of Bart riding on it.

geeksher18

Chimp
Oct 23, 2004
San Antonio
Guy how's it going? How is George these days? and btw, I believe the "Rampar" 19s rider behind Harry doing his signature "Leary" is Larry Bleteman(sp?) if memory serves me right. RIP Larry. :(
Nice Pics guy, I've got a few pics I am working to get scanned from S.A. and all around.
Mr Patterson- Its been a while. Everyone here is doing great. Actually that is Keith Krupalla (19S) behind Leary. Larry was a character; he was always a blast to be around. I have ton of pics from back in the old Lone Star days. Pro's showed up there on several occasions. Hope you are doing well.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Word... I have 3 of them.

Edit: And I always wanted another shirt from the movie. It's the blue shirt that the red head kid is wearing when Wes kicks him in the shins, it says "Bart Taylor. The Man." And has a silhouette of Bart riding on it.
Yeah, I got 2 of them... I love wearing that shirt because people always recognize it from the movie. Rad.

SMcGill

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
Back in '82 after Coral Springs Fla. race with my '81 JMC standard short...

This pictures is the same bike 6 months ago, after it had been sold to my cousin around '86, stolen from him, recovered and bought back by me 22 years later...The frame had been cracked, parts were missing, and it was in sad shape.

Here she is a couple of weeks ago, returned to glory after a visit to SERacingman for some welding and cosmetic work, some polishing work and lots of searching for parts...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
holy shjt that JMC is cool. Nice job on the restore - it looked like it needed a LOT of love to get it there.

Very cool to note the difference in geometry from then to know. Granted that's a short frame - but look at the chainstay length! The BB is almost exactly in between the front and rear axles.

Love the fullface too - was that a Premier brand? I think RL Osborne had that same helmet w/ the same paint scheme.

SMcGill

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
holy shjt that JMC is cool. Nice job on the restore - it looked like it needed a LOT of love to get it there.

Very cool to note the difference in geometry from then to know. Granted that's a short frame - but look at the chainstay length! The BB is almost exactly in between the front and rear axles.

Love the fullface too - was that a Premier brand? I think RL Osborne had that same helmet w/ the same paint scheme.
Thanks, the helmet was a Bell moto I believe. I remember selling it at a garage sale for $5, doh!:banghead:

Here's a couple with the new pad set:

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Nice Nice Nice!

That JMC has been on quite a journey! Glad you got it back.

Funny, I recently repaired a Hutch that looked like it had been welded by the same guy.

GM

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Beautiful pics. That blue ano brings back some memories. I had a Columbia as my first BMX bike. Too broke at the time to get a Mongoose or RedLine, so my dad and I repainted it and I saved a pieced better parts for it. Blue wheels w/ the Araya 7C rims were one of the first things along w/ a blue sidepull Dia-Compe brake. I also had blue IRC tires.

The new pads look good - repros? I think NOS ones are about $1,000,000 aren't they?

SMcGill

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
It is a Dia-Compe 890.

The 890's were made from the late 70's to '86, and the 880's were made from '85-'87, I think. I was going to put a set of Dia-Compe MX1000's on it, but they are getting really pricey for NOS, and I believe I originally had 890's on it from the old pictures I have.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
yours truly (left), my bros (paul c and aubrey owner of peddler bike in austin), chase hawk, and CRU JONES. surreal and stupid at the same time.

NORA cup awards. INTERBIKE 2008, las vegas.

Last edited:

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
I was wearing my awesome t-shirt from the movie, and I was at the WA state capitol building, and some tourist stopped me and told me her brother was in the movie. AND she told me that he had been contacted about doing a sequel. I guess there IS a god.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Dirt Brothers Retrospective....

http://vimeo.com/4938457

June 5, 2009, 10:23 AM

By: Brian Tunney

Dirt Bros 1988 - 1994 Highlights from Dirt Brothers on Vimeo.

I'll make this somewhat short, but know that it's necessary watching. The Dirt Bros. started out in the late '80s as street and dirt riding anti-heros, the antithesis to the neon uniformed standard of the '80s, helping to define the initial era of street riding. They wore flannel shirts and camo shorts, did what they wanted, rode how they wanted and later took the anti- approach to BMX companies, turning Dirt Bros. into a BMX company. Only they didn't go out and make frames. They bought old Skyway TA frames, added Redline forks, re-stickered the package as 'Dirt Bros.' and sold them as their own. Later on, they eventually did start making frames, sponsoring a then-unknown Gary Young and fading away just after the turn of the century. But something tells me Dirt Bros. is on its way back in some shape or form to shake up the establishment. Currently, Vic Murphy is in Scotland, but that's about all I know. Okay, I've rattled on enough. Check the vid.

http://espn.go.com/action/bmx/blog?post=4233569