Quantcast

Old School Rules

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Very cool! Redline RL Osbourn frame? Is that a bmx track in the background?
I think it might have been a Redline frame, I can't remember. I know I had several Redlines back then, eventually riding the PL24s. The Track in the background is still there, Emerald Valley BMX.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Actually, it WAS a Redline. The RL 20. I remember buying it in '83, it had a turquoise color on the front triangle, which I stripped off to reveal the chrome that was beneath it. Here's a pic of a red one....

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Actually, it WAS a Redline. The RL 20. I remember buying it in '83, it had a turquoise color on the front triangle, which I stripped off to reveal the chrome that was beneath it. Here's a pic of a red one....

Yup - I know my mid 80's frames :) But RedLine's are a bit easier to tell with their 5" headtubes.

A friend had that turquoise RL20 - very cool color but the paint over chrome would scratch off so easily.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track

White tee/black Fox helmet is my fav racer from back in the day... Travis Chipres... a.k.a. Bart Taylor... getting smoked by Cru Jones... haha :D

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
If it is a Haro Master then it is worth something. Doesn't appear to be a Master though.
yeah, the FST and FSX were the cheaper completes compared to the Master and the Sport completes. check vintagebmx.com .

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
Im not quite old enough to claim to REALLY be part of this thread (born in 85), but man, this is so awesome to look back on. I never had enough money to buy brand new bikes when I was a kid, so I owned a slew of GT Performers and GT Pro Performers, and a Hutch when I was a kid that were all from late 80's and early 90s. This thread is awesome.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
if you have ever done a coaster-brake tail tap, or rear-wheel hops on the coaster, then you know !
I totally remember using those old hinged seat post clamps, even if the frame had a place to bolt the brake arm to. You'd have to bend the arm to get it to line up right. Once you got it secured you'd end up wearing a bigger hole in aluminum chainwheels, so you'd still have some slop. Ahh, sweet memories.

And 'Woo we had cable brakes too, some of us just took too long to get rid of our coasters. Personally I weened myself off using one of the original freecoasters (discussed earlier in the thread).

I just love this thread. I had one of those RL-20's too. Nice garbage find with that Haro. I don't remember too many folks using drum brakes back then, mainly because as I recall they only work well in one direction.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I definitely don't know :D

When I started racing bmx in 83 everyone already had cable brakes.
heh heh. my first 20" had caliper brake AND coaster:
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/murray/24547

even in the mid/late 80s there were a few freestylers like Bob Kohl, Ron Wilkerson, and Rick Moliterno running coaster. barspin abubacas, non-pedaling rollbacks, and various flatland without cranks spinning . . . but yeah, coasters were dead.

moliterno:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Those last 3 pics are so roots....Bottema fork, Skyways and Motomags, Haro plates, Bell helmets with JT visors. I love how the tracks were like in that 2nd pic - on the rough/ungroomed side - where you needed to put the foot down on turns.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Bottema fork

To this day one of my worst crashes ever was overshooting a landing to flat from about 14 feet up, breaking my Bottema fork at the crown, and driving my face into the ground. I can still taste the blood and dirt in my teeth.

But uh yeah, great pics.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
To this day one of my worst crashes ever was overshooting a landing to flat from about 14 feet up, breaking my Bottema fork at the crown, and driving my face into the ground. I can still taste the blood and dirt in my teeth.

But uh yeah, great pics.
Ouch! 14" to flat?!

Never had a Bottema but I thought they were built pretty good?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Just found this old pic on a racing buddy's (Rick Bell #29) Facebook page from 1986 in CapeCod, MA.

I'm the number 6 guy with the euro white and chrome Hutch. Not sure what I was thinking with the left elbow all up in the air - haha

Attachments

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ouch! 14" to flat?!

Never had a Bottema but I thought they were built pretty good?
Feet, not inches, but yeah, ouch. They were among the best forks at the time for sure, this was just a really nasty nose-dive.

My landing angle was perfect for the transition. Only problem was that the transition was about 6 feet behind me!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Feet, not inches, but yeah, ouch. They were among the best forks at the time for sure, this was just a really nasty nose-dive.

My landing angle was perfect for the transition. Only problem was that the transition was about 6 feet behind me!
Oh, I meant 14' - hit the wrong button. Although, as you know some of those parts back then exploded on 14" stuff.

But sounds nasty. There was a pic of Buff jumping off the roof of and that was only 10' max. He had the bars slipped back on him and I'm sure he bent the cranks.

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
We'll call this 'mid-school'
Image 1:
MCS '88? - Fresh from under the Xmas tree. Stolen about a month later.

Image 2:
Robinson Pro - Insurance replacement - at Daytona, FL

Image 3:
Christmas Classic '89 or '90 - Eric Cunningham way faster than me. Randy Stumpfhauser was also in my main doing the track ~3 seconds off the pro pace. The late and wonderful Linda Dorsey announcing.

Titan ProXL in the hammered graphite color. Campy Record hubs, Sun Anno rilled out rims, Bullseye cranks (third or fourth set, kept breaking), Pre-Hutch magnesium-body pedals (via Brad Cashwell MCS/Eagle Snacks), UNI mini seat and Powerlite bars.

Image 4:
Titan ProXL 4130 - Backup bike. Later was hit by a car on it and then snapped it in half. Titan t-shirt with fake mud on the back. Wore it every day.

Attachments

Last edited: