Quantcast

On why large corporations should not exist

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
*Or move across the Hudson. Didn't someone post in the car thread NJ had told BMW to get bent with subscription heated seats?

Moving to NJ seems pretty desperate though.
One of my winter hacks to start with warm gloves is put the gloves on the heated seat, sit on them, turn the seat heat up on the way to wherever I'm going. With reynauds, heated steering wheel and seat is a must.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
One of my winter hacks to start with warm gloves is put the gloves on the heated seat, sit on them, turn the seat heat up on the way to wherever I'm going. With reynauds, heated steering wheel and seat is a must.
I either put them on a radiator at home or if driving, stuff them up my top.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm simply shocked that one of the longest running advertisers on Rush Limbaugh's show (and now Dan Boingoboingo's) could be so incompetent.
"Republicans can't tech"

Article is 12 years old. Can't help but wonder how many more times it has happened. :rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
After hearing about an engineer with over 20 years who got an email in the middle of the night and they killed all his access, this is actually way worse.

She'd only been an employee for a year and....

Diaz, who served as a liaison between brands and influencers for sponsored content on YouTube,

Meh. 20years deep in a company actually doing shit as an engineer is way worse.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
After hearing about an engineer with over 20 years who got an email in the middle of the night and they killed all his access, this is actually way worse.

I keep hoping for a layoff... although at this point in my life, it might be considered an "early retirement buyout."

:fancy:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
She'd only been an employee for a year and....

Diaz, who served as a liaison between brands and influencers for sponsored content on YouTube,

Meh. 20years deep in a company actually doing shit as an engineer is way worse.
Maybe, I guess they could have killed her flight, too. :rofl:

I know a few engineers that have been here 20+ that actually haven't done jack shit.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Not as bad as this guy: https://www.techjuice.pk/it-professional-sells-home-and-car-to-join-amazon-in-europe-got-fired/

House sold, cars sold, plans made/documents secured to relocate to Europe. Gets canned 4 days before departure.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
People need to put food on the table. There are lots of tasks assigned by employers that contribute nothing to society. I'd more dump on the employer rather than the employed.
Yeah whatever. You don't live in the playground for all the employees of these companies. Douchebags from top to bottom. You don't do an intership translating into a job at frikkin google because it's your only option. Guarantee you she was straight out of an ivy league or equivalent school into that job. She ain't workin in the damn cafeteria. These companies have more money than nations, and become a prick magnet because of it.

Yeah whatever. You don't live in the playground for all the employees of these companies. Douchebags from top to bottom. You don't do an intership translating into a job at frikkin google because it's your only option. Guarantee you she was straight out of an ivy league or equivalent school into that job. She ain't workin in the damn cafeteria. These companies have more money than nations, and become a prick magnet because of it.
With apologies, you don't know jack shit about her life circumstances.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
With apologies, you don't know jack shit about her life circumstances.
I know who gets hired at google. These aren't 'normal' jobs. You're the one who started the thread. You think one of the richest corporations on the planet needs to scrape the bottom to find employees? Or more realistically, do you think it creates a culture of ruthless greedy career chasers who already show up with a head start in life? You already know the answer.

Do you not remember any of this?

Probably better for her in the long run regardless.

Last edited:
I know who gets hired at google. These aren't 'normal' jobs. You're the one who started the thread. You think one of the richest corporations on the planet needs to scrape the bottom to find employees? Or more realistically, do you think it creates a culture of ruthless greedy career chasers who already show up with a head start in life? You already know the answer.

Do you not remember any of this?

Probably better for her in the long run regardless.
I agree about the head start aspect, but I'm not ready to lable all employees as ruthless and greedy. I have worked in big successful at the time corporations and they had the same mix of people as the rest of life.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I agree about the head start aspect, but I'm not ready to lable all employees as ruthless and greedy. I have worked in big successful at the time corporations and they had the same mix of people as the rest of life.
The year is 2023. There is one search engine that drives the entire medium of the way information is found, transferred, stored, and commercialized on the entire planet. That same search engine company also owns the single largest advertising and video medium on the planet that has replaced television. Oh yeah..and also the email one. And also the largest business data integration for companies to use internally. And half the smart phone operating systems....

This ain't lightbulbs and chrysler. This is kind of a new generation of money, power, and the people it attracts. And like I said, you don't live up the hill where all these fools flock to on weekends.

I know people who work at google. You?

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
And yet they kinda are.

And people will be stomping all over each other to get those jobs when they open back up.

They pay high, and know their name is a resume builder, so they think they can just ditch you and you should be happy they ever let you in.

The layoffs impacted workers across the company, including some on seven-figure salaries, those with high-performance reviews, and some in managerial positions, The Information reported.

Google managers told the outlet that some who had lost their jobs had been earning between $500,000 and $1 million a year.

Last edited:
The year is 2023. There is one search engine that drives the entire medium of the way information is found, transferred, stored, and commercialized on the entire planet. That same search engine company also owns the single largest advertising and video medium on the planet that has replaced television. Oh yeah..and also the email one. And also the largest business data integration for companies to use internally. And half the smart phone operating systems....

This ain't lightbulbs and chrysler. This is kind of a new generation of money, power, and the people it attracts. And like I said, you don't live up the hill where all these fools flock to on weekends.

I know people who work at google. You?
I know people who started Google.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My second job in tech was almost at Microsoft in '97. I spent all day there, interviewed with 4 different teams. The next day they offered me a contract position making what I was currently making at Intel. When I turned it down and said I either wanted a lot more or something perm, they tried to sell me on resume clout.

"Imagine how good your resume would look with Intel and Microsoft on there". I told him if I thought it would make a huge difference, I'd put it on there now. Just say I worked as part of the Windows OS team. He didn't like that response.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Were you to cease instruction to others it would be a Good Thing.
i think you grossly underestimate how cutthroat the business world has become. not just the businesses themselves, but the employees too. this isn't just a phenomena limited to the tech industry, but as 'woo pointed out, they are the most egregious offenders.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
they pulled a Max Powers.
They added a subwoofer, big pointless rear spoiler and got a lady to flaunt T+A on the cover of a magazine?

(edit: No idea if Max Power magazine exists in Murica, used to be a thing 30 years ago in the UK for people wasting money on crap cars)

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
they pulled a Max Powers.
Guy who starts thread called "on why large corporations should not exist" defends jobs created by, and the applicants that flock to one of the largest corporations at all levels. Effectively making an argument for supply side reaganomics and lamenting the exact actions that are typical of such corporations.

Last edited:
Guy who starts thread called "on why large corporations should not exist" defends jobs created by, and the applicants that flock to one of the largest corporations at all levels. Effectively making an argument for supply side reaganomics and lamenting the exact actions that are typical of such corporations.
I defend workers, not corporations or roles that they hire for.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
She'll be fine. She has google/alphabet on her resume and whatever else credentials got her in the door in the first place.

Although I'm not sure I'd use the term 'worker' for someone who connects these douchebags with companies to give them more money

She probably made more money in that year and a half than I will in the next 10

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
at a certain point, workers can't claim ignorance when they work for companies that are known for doing this stuff. that doesn't make it less shitty or excuse the behavior, but they know its a possibility and they signed up for it anyways.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
at a certain point, workers can't claim ignorance when they work for companies that are known for doing this stuff. that doesn't make it less shitty or excuse the behavior, but they know its a possibility and they signed up for it anyways.
I told off a recruiter from raytheon when I was 20. :rofl:

I just kept asking him "tell me specifically what your company actually does, like what is the end result of the things you design?"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I told off a recruiter from raytheon when I was 20. :rofl:

I just kept asking him "tell me specifically what your company actually does, like what is the end result of the things you design?"
business dealings aside, at the end of the day I can justify the business i'm in.