Quantcast

Problems with my 2010 Boxxers

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
Depends. Sometimes the shrink wrap is on really tight that it wont budge. When I got my Team, I had to cut away and create a larger opening hole so I could put the Drop Stop in from the Medium to Soft Spring.
I found when I changed from medium to soft spring that if I lubed the drop-stop up really well and used about a 40cm long x 1cm dia. wooden rod then I could get it all the way down to the narrower end of the spring without winding the sleeve down or cutting it.
If you don't have a dowel that size then use a really long chopstick...used one until I found the wooden rod

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Sorry if my previous post was a little confusing...

i do not have a problem USING the full travel of the fork. it is more like i only have 180mm to begin with. the fork is "settling" about 20mm into its travel. is this normal?

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Sorry if my previous post was a little confusing...

i do not have a problem USING the full travel of the fork. it is more like i only have 180mm to begin with. the fork is "settling" about 20mm into its travel. is this normal?
Check your oil levels. I really wouldn't worry about it. As long as it doesn;t hinder your performance. Also the drop stop won't prevent the fork to sag since it only works in the last 20% of your travel. Just keep that in mind. Turning more Bottom out isnt ganna help the fork sit up[ any higher.

TDerk

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
I just got my new Glory 01 the other day and the Boxxer team had the stiction problem and wasn't getting the last inch of travel. After my first ride I figured I needed to pull it off and lube it up. The oil levels were out of whack on both sides and the seals/bushings were practically dry. I liberally greased the seals/bushings and put the correct amount of oil in both sides of the lowers. After the maintenance and a 10 minute descent to work it in it turned into an absolute butter fork. It also is getting the full amount of travel. The hardest part of the maintenance was taking the c clip off that holds the rebound knobs on. I highly recommend taking the time to do this, just follow the PDF manual very closely and all will be good.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I just got an ok deal on a new 2010 team (parted out from a recently purchased intense bike) to replace my older 03 well-abused boxxer race... I'm really looking forward to see how this thing compares!

I haven't given it a test run yet to see what problems lurk, but right off the bat I noticed I can only turn the low speed compression dial one turn (that requires a bit of finger strength). The compression dial is also fairly difficult to turn and doesn't really audibly click, especially when compared to the rebound dials.

For those of you who have had trouble, what would these be signs of? I'm not really looking to rebuilding a brand new fork, but before I bought it I accepted that I would likely have to do this.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
the 2010 stuff is good even with having to service em right off the bat. I really like the WC Im loving it, did the fluids in it for its first change and did the slick honey.
Smooth as butter, did put 5wt in the lowers and dropped wt on the comp upper.
Its pretty cold here off and on and it flows a bit better but Ill be running it this weight in the summer to see.

ortedd

Chimp
Nov 28, 2008
Woodinville, WA
What have people’s experiences been with working with shops to get the updates? Are you out of pocket for install?

I have a 2010 race with clunking from the damper side. Per SRAM technical service there is an updated top out spring and compression damper. They said however that it has to go through a shop for install. SRAM said there would be reimbursement, but the shop that I spoke to was not confident it would sufficiently cover their out of pocket expenses. . .
And I am a DIY mechanic, but can’t get the parts myself.

Thanks,

Josh

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
SRAM is slowly losing me as a customer. I really like their stuff, but the refusal to work with individuals is frustrating. I don't live particularly close to a shop and I know more than the shops guys about the internals of the forks. Its just frustrating. SRAM used to be great to work with. I wonder what changed?