Quantcast

Problems with my 2010 Boxxers

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Does anyone happen to know the size of the retaining clip of rebound adjuster?

I knew it was just going to be a matter of time before I lost it...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thank you!

no i have not removed the drop stop yet (a friend of mine has cut the drop stop, but that didn't help either) - I will try it.
Isolate which leg it is. Pop the spring out and see if you can get full travel. If so, it's something on the spring side. If not, then it's obviously the damper side.

I had to burp my damper leg after about half a season of riding. It had gotten pressurized from oil breakdown or something. It also only happened after I drove up from sea level to about 6K FWIW.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Isolate which leg it is. Pop the spring out and see if you can get full travel. If so, it's something on the spring side. If not, then it's obviously the damper side.

I had to burp my damper leg after about half a season of riding. It had gotten pressurized from oil breakdown or something. It also only happened after I drove up from sea level to about 6K FWIW.
Thank you for your advice.

Andrei

Chimp
May 15, 2009
What parts should I expect to receive under warranty for my knocking&sticky Boxxer Race?

Andrei

Chimp
May 15, 2009
If that will make my Boxxer actually work, I'd love a service manual. I've stripped the fork apart for several times and there is nothing else I can do to make it work better. I've changed the oil, lubed the seals with Super Slick grease, made some plastic shims to fit between the C clips and base plates (so there won't be any useless space between them), but nothing seems to improve the forks performance... and now I've just found out that there aren't any RockShox distribuitors in my country. Some help will really be appreciated!

Is there anything in the forks serial number that set the new batch appart from the old one? If I won't be able to fix this Race I will probably want a Team and I definitely don't want it to be the same (as in the number of issues)...

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
If that will make my Boxxer actually work, I'd love a service manual. I've stripped the fork apart for several times and there is nothing else I can do to make it work better. I've changed the oil, lubed the seals with Super Slick grease, made some plastic shims to fit between the C clips and base plates (so there won't be any useless space between them), but nothing seems to improve the forks performance... and now I've just found out that there aren't any RockShox distribuitors in my country. Some help will really be appreciated!

Is there anything in the forks serial number that set the new batch appart from the old one? If I won't be able to fix this Race I will probably want a Team and I definitely don't want it to be the same (as in the number of issues)...
check this

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
The Boxxer race's motion control damper is the source of the knocking. Known issue, and I believe a fix has, or is just about to be released to resolve this.

But get yourself some team dampers, they are the shizznitz

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
The Race lowers have a steel insert at the bottom of the rebound leg for the rebound cartridge.

Has anyone tried removing that insert to install a Team/World Cup Rebound damper?

Or are the Team/World Cup lowers absolutely required for the rebound damper?

It looks like the Mission Control is still upgradable though...

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
hahaha "2010 boxxers". sounds like underpants. i thought it was a boxxer like it says.
Well they would be boxer shorts wouldn't they. So calling them boxers is just as silly as calling Boxxer forks Boxxers.

I guess you are wearing a pant as well and not pants. Can you not just get over it and realise that people say things differently. Calling them Boxxers is accepted in the UK, but I guess not in the states.

Anyway. Thanks for the video link. I can now pull my Boxxers apart and make sure I have updated parts. :thumb:

DamienD

Monkey
Nov 6, 2007
Bothell
Well they would be boxer shorts wouldn't they. So calling them boxers is just as silly as calling Boxxer forks Boxxers.

I guess you are wearing a pant as well and not pants. Can you not just get over it and realise that people say things differently. Calling them Boxxers is accepted in the UK, but I guess not in the states.

Anyway. Thanks for the video link. I can now pull my Boxxers apart and make sure I have updated parts. :thumb:
do you eat dinner with a forks too. hahha thats funny. i just washed by boxxers in the washing machine. you guys shur know how to make people laugh though

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
got a new boxxer team production date 10/15 2009 i have inspectet the inside of the fork and the rebound damper is updatet.
new is that on side is red run "spring side" but mybe it is only mixed with the spring grease... and the other side is the sram oil for lubrication.

Last edited:

monni

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
Finland
After looking the Boxxer update vid I also decided to get hold of the updated parts.
However, the importer here needs me to look up the Part numbers for the parts in question, and looking at the RS Spare parts catalog here I'm a bit confused:

The video says that the whole rebound assembly (including the rebound shaft) needs to be replaced. Part no. 11.4015.371.010 (or #17 in the catalog page 111) says:
"10 Boxxer Team/WC Rebound Damper/Seal Head Kit (shaft bolt and external adjuster knob)."
Is that the correct part number I should get?

Last edited:

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
is this the new boxxer 2011 team
after open the fork all is updatet and enough lubrication inside the stanchions.
new is the sticker right on the crown "downhill motion control"??
product date 10/15/2009

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
is this the new boxxer 2011 team
after open the fork all is updatet and enough lubrication inside the stanchions.
new is the sticker right on the crown "downhill motion control"??
product date 10/15/2009
I just got that fork too, fingers crossed all goes well, I'm sure it will :thumb:

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
Wasnt sure where to post this, but i was wondering if the new boxxers can be converted like the older ones? i.e. getting a race fork and installing a world cup cartridge

Dsunday

Chimp
Nov 26, 2009
I asked CRC to check mine for lube before they sent them and they agreed.
don't know if they actually did as ive only ridden them once so far and dont want to take them apart yet..

I seem to only get 180mm out of them though with the correct spring for my weight but i did have too much compression on. ill try again this weekend. hope its not the bottom out thing (bottom out is all the way off)

Do they get more supple as you ride them? how many hours do hey require and should i be looking for any certain things that will require an updated part?

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Dsunday drop ya spring rate down one, just about everyone and including reviews have said the same thing going to the next spring rate down from what is rec will sort ya out, then adjust ya dials, measuring spring rate should be done without an compression rebound adj either.

Its easy to do, if ya get lost down load the Boxxer team pdf off Srams website, the 20pager :thumb:

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox/dealers/boxxer_team_en_b.pdf

Last edited:

Dsunday

Chimp
Nov 26, 2009
cheers for that.

So im 76KG and currently have the standard spring in (medium i believe)
you reckon i should go to the soft spring?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Have to admit, its a bit expensive £80 for a service, but TFtuned, make them absolutely amazing... really worth thinking about

Mine were crap out the box, sent them to TF they spend i thin 2 hours fixing them, and they work so well now..

If you got the cash, DO IT!

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
cheers for that.

So im 76KG and currently have the standard spring in (medium i believe)
you reckon i should go to the soft spring?
Def and while ya doing that check ya fluid levels and lube ya seals make sure nothing lose.

But looks like what ever spring rate is rec next one down is the best place to start.

I'm all for TF tuned Push etc, but doing the basic's first the best place to start before going off and getting extra work done. :thumb:

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Def and while ya doing that check ya fluid levels and lube ya seals make sure nothing lose.

But looks like what ever spring rate is rec next one down is the best place to start.

I'm all for TF tuned Push etc, but doing the basic's first the best place to start before going off and getting extra work done. :thumb:
Defo agree mate. But did all the work, and no joy. Mine where the first production run though! :D

jammie654

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
Scotland
So i have just got my 2010 Teams after having 2010 races and needing/wanting the extra adjustment.

Have looked at the SRAM tech docs but im after some Real life set up advice?

i weigh just under 12 stone and ride DH prefering Softer and slower if that helps

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Hey guys, I think I got a new one.

So I've had a 2010 Team for about a month now and after the bike sat for about two weeks... (lots of snow here, no riding), the fork settled about 20-30mm into its travel. I went over and pulled up on the handlebars while holding onto the arch and it fully extended and then sat normally for a few hours but then slowly settled back to the old position. The "X" that is etched onto the stanchion almost disappears into the lowers. Is this normal?

FYI, I am running the yellow spring with all 4 preload washers on top, full-length drop stop, no clicks preload.

Thanks in advance!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I dont know about it settling being a team unless it has a negative air chamber which I dont htink it has and if it has a air bottom out that could be pulling down.

I would think if its sitting and sinking then you need spacers ontop of the spring that there is a void between spring and top cap... Just a thought because a spring is set and wont sink but void between it and top will.

I had an early 2010 wc they warrantied it with me I now have a new one production last month. Sweet and RS CS is the best Ive dealt with hands down, well saris (bike racks) is no questions asked warranty on racks....

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
The problem people have with not getting full travel on the Boxxer Team is because of the Drop Stop getting caught up on the Shrink Wrap on the springs. The Shrink wrap blocks the Drop stop from going all the way down on the spring causing people not having full travel. Easy fix. Just make sure your drop stop can slide freely all the way down. When swapping springs make sure the Drop Stop os all the way too the bottom. Don't just put it on the top and let it get squished down while compressing, because it won't. You make have to cut some of the shrink wrap to achieve this. No need to cut your Drop Stop :thumb:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Depends. Sometimes the shrink wrap is on really tight that it wont budge. When I got my Team, I had to cut away and create a larger opening hole so I could put the Drop Stop in from the Medium to Soft Spring.
i weigh about 84kg's with riding gear and am running the stock spring in my 2010 team. I've only gotten full travel once (i also **** my pants), i only get 7" of travel normally. I don't know if I should try a lighter spring in addition to checking the shrink wrap on the spring, anybody have any advice?